Ryanair buys 75 737 Max

Commissario
So what makes this plane worth the risk to these airlines? How much more efficient is it than the equivalent airbus?
It's not that it's more efficient, it's that it doesn't require much training for the pilots who were certified on the older 737's.

Basically it saved a fair bit in training money for the airlines, as moving to a different airframe requires specific training, as does moving to newer versions of the same airframe which are materially different in the controls or handling, by using the loopholes in the regs Boeing managed to get the FAA to sign off on pilots moving to the new version with just a few hours of classroom familiarisation (IIRC one of the deals boeing signed offered up to a million per pilot if additional training was required).

Soldato
Everything about this plane has probably been reviewed, re-reviewed and triple checked to such an extent that it's probably about the safest plane you could get on at the moment.

Associate
Everything about this plane has probably been reviewed, re-reviewed and triple checked to such an extent that it's probably about the safest plane you could get on at the moment.

Shame it couldn't have been reviewed, re-reviewed and triple checked before plummeting to the ground, huh? (Twice.)

Associate
it's been recertified now after eighteen months of works. I'd get on one tomorrow without a second thought.

RIP.

It's not that it's more efficient, it's that it doesn't require much training for the pilots who were certified on the older 737's.

Basically it saved a fair bit in training money for the airlines, as moving to a different airframe requires specific training, as does moving to newer versions of the same airframe which are materially different in the controls or handling, by using the loopholes in the regs Boeing managed to get the FAA to sign off on pilots moving to the new version with just a few hours of classroom familiarisation (IIRC one of the deals boeing signed offered up to a million per pilot if additional training was required).

Yeah but unfortunately that meant that the pilots weren't prepared for the new feature where the planes flew themselves into the ground.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Commissario
RIP.

Yeah but unfortunately that meant that the pilots weren't prepared for the new feature where the planes flew themselves into the ground.
Yup.

Saving some money on pilot training in regards to a feature that they barely knew about (if at all), that could push the nose down is not a great idea.

I'm still not a fan of the workaround where they've now got both of the atitude sensors in use but no third, just a "disagree" indicator, as IIRC it's been standard since not long after the advent of the electronic controls/assistance in cockpits of passenger aircraft to have any automatic system triplicated specifically so that the automatic system can take action based on the majority verdict whilst giving a warning (I seem to remember that came about due to some nasty crashes).

I've said it many times, but the 737 max seems to have been designed whilst ignoring a lot of very painful lessons from previous crashes in order to save money.

It's probably safe(r) now but i'm not a fan of aircraft where the philosophy of the design/production was to penny pinch and cut corners IIRC there were (not sure if they fixed them) other issues with things that were grandfathered in but wouldn't have met 90's standards otherwise.

Associate
Rather fly on conair with cyrus the virus than risk ryanair

i flew home once with them from a stag do, i was fairly suprised. Wasnt as bad as i was expecting. the bright yellow didnt help the hangover though.

Even though i had an ok-ish experience, they're way down at the bottom of the list of airlines id use.

Back
Top Bottom