US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
Yep so bad at times.

I mean seriously they seek out the federation, they find them, federation see they've got a ship capable of faster than warp travel, the federation no longer has warp capable ships. Do they study the spore drive and try and recreate it???? Noooo they just let it float around on missions where potential enemies can capture it. Nuts

Soldato
This last episode was appalling. I agree that the majority of STD evolves around Burnham too much.

Tilly to number 1, well ok. Ridiculous but ok.

Good Spock flashback, but found it insulting the implication that Burnham made Spock who he is/was? Sod off.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It is pathetic, Tilly at number 1 is dirge it would have been a perfect time to introduce some new characters from Star fleet.

The writers should be embarrassed its utter utter garbage.

TV is crying out for a high production SCI-FI show like GOT was.

Soldato
I thought Tilly's actress had been relaxing a bit to much during lockdown and gained a bit weight but it turns out she has just given birth! Probably be explains why she looked a bit doughy in the 2nd season.

Tbh I have really struggled with Discovery, Star Trek has always done a good job of telling a good story and being able to mirror what's going on in society at the time. However with Discovery it seems the producers are lead first and foremost by current day politics and worry about writing a good story second.

Caporegime
Tilly promoted to No 1? Yes, but a bumbling, nervous wreck incapable of making decisions as the second in command of a starship who is responsible for the lives of the whole crew. Not forgetting she has jumped several ranks to do so.

Yeah, this was really hard to swallow and suspend disbelief with... she is a plucky nervous wreck who can't keep her mouth shut, who then usually ends up doing or saying something 'brilliant' at the last minute to save everyone.

I mean seriously they seek out the federation, they find them, federation see they've got a ship capable of faster than warp travel, the federation no longer has warp capable ships. Do they study the spore drive and try and recreate it???? Noooo they just let it float around on missions where potential enemies can capture it. Nuts

I know, wtf right? The spore drive could single-handedly save the Federation and they aren't immediately using their omgloladvancedtech to create a 1000 more of them? Answer: the spore drive was ridiculously overpowered in the first place and they know everyone having it would break the entire universe.

Soldato
I was shocked at her promotion from ensign to number 1, she is way too inexperienced. I also think Burnham is way too emotional and really detracts from her strong character.

This episode was the first I watched standalone since binging and I can see the frustration people are having with the pacing of the story now.

Soldato
I had no problem with the unemotional parts earlier on. It made sense, she's trying to hide her human emotion and growing up most of her life surrounded by vulcans impacted this. Maybe shes so emotional because she doesn't know how to deal with them properly from her upbringing. Still, too much whining and tears.

Finally managed to stomach last week's episode and drag myself to the end. I'm not sure I can watch much more of this. It's crammed with faux sentimentality about a characters you really don't care about. None of the characters can be identified with, they seem to have no flaws or any development. Burnham just whispers most of her lines and squeezes out tears constantly. I generally feel the cringe when Tilly is on screen and I am disliking the albino now. Salmon fillet is an uninspiring and dull character. He is weak as a captain, I wish they kept Lorca. He had some interest about him but they ruined that in the final of series 1.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
*fart noises*

From my commentary/vitriol post for this episode in the other thread:

34) Stamets using the wrong pronouns for Tal, and is about to get an earful.
35) Yep. A fairly restrained earful, as it turns out.
36) Pausing a moment. I'm guessing that this bit is going to provoke some pretty witless debate in Trek fandom, and I'm going to thow my 2p in before it all gets really started. Tal didn't go all Princess Stampyfoot™. They didn't rage about people misgendering them even when that person had absolutely no malicious intent. They just respectfully asked to be addressed by the pronouns that they preferred, and Stamets is fine with that. Hell, by STD standards it wasn't even a particularly hamfisted way of getting it into the episode. The only surprise is that the conversation between the characters hasn't already been had given how Tal has been on the ship a few weeks by this point. But that's a minor quibble.
37) Ah, there we go. They never told anyone other than Gray before. Minor quibble from 36) dealt with. Yep, it's definitely a Frakes episode :)

Raz

Raz

Soldato
The Burn was caused by... Burnham and the time travelling shenanigans. Deep down...she knows...

(I have no idea, just making it up!)

Associate
On the one hand, it would be very on brand for yet another seasons central plot to be all about Burnham being at the centre of everything.

But I'd still like to think even they could show just a little restraint. There's a lot of TNG era races that don't appear to be part of the new federation or been mentioned yet, I'm still quietly hoping ultimately it's one of them just so we have some variety.

Back
Top Bottom