Man of Honour
Cheerful news from Professor Dave Hewitt (interview in a video by Veritasium) about potential impactors!

Well, actually no. He's cheerful about it, but the reality is that we can't yet know and even if we do know in advance there's currently nothing we could do that would have any remotely plausible chance of being of any use. We're pretty much sure that there won't be a global extinction level event impactor within the next 100 years and about 95% sure there won't be a country-destroying impactor within the next 10 years. Other than that, it's a grey area. Maybe a major city will be annihilated tomorrow by an asteroid that nobody saw coming because it was coming from the wrong angle for us to see. Probably not. But not definitely not. It's very difficult indeed to detect a dull object a few hundred metres across many millions of miles away and if it's coming from anywhere near the direction of the sun it's impossible to see until it's about to impact. Which it will do with an explosion in the gigatonne range.

Man of Honour
I was watching a video on Youtube and noticed this on the allegedly related videos list. An unusual volcano...sounded interesting, so I watched it. 27 minutes of detail on the different ways volcanoes form, how that volcano (and a handful of others) didn't match any of the explanations and how researchers worked out how this extremely rare type of volcano forms. Top quality documentary and it's a one person deal. They do everything - research, writing, animation, narration, editing, the lot. Only 2 videos on the channel so far, but well worth making a note of.

Now I remember what video I was watching when that one was recommended. A video on the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980. I hadn't known how major it was. Had it not been in the middle of nowhere, it would have been devastating. ~230 square miles fubared. I remembered that a researcher was instakilled and I'd assumed he was close to the volcano. He was 6 miles away.

Back
Top Bottom