Do you talk to yourself?

Capodecina
Soldato
Depends how much time I spend on my own. The more time I spend on my own, the more I do it. For instance, my wife is abroad at the moment and I have the flat to myself. I'll often find myself explaining things to myself and talking myself through routines out loud. When she's around this hardly happens at all. It's subconscious.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. i would be worse if you wanted to do it, but stopped yourself. I think people do it more than they realise. It's both comforting and clarifying to talk yourself through things.

Soldato
Only during and after sex; words of encouragement during and a hearty congratulations on a superb performance afterward. Sometimes I even sing a song, just to keep myself from prematurely spilling the proverbial gravy.

Caporegime
Used to have a woman at work who would talk out loud about everything she was doing.

' Right, finished that, now onto typing this quote ' repeat for the next 8 hours like a running bloody commentary.

Drove me nuts.

Have plenty at my work that do a running commentary on everything. I think it's borderline insaine.

Soldato
Definitely I do ,also to my plants and trees ,I also will address myself as we (i.e we really need to trim the grass later ) a little like golem did in lotr , definitely living on my own and been borderline insane exsasibates the situation but tbh find it quite calming to voice the old inner dialogue

Caporegime
only in my house alone saying things like

"what the hell" (unexpected outcome)
"oh crap" (dropped something or whatever)
"what the fluff are you doing!" (door or corner of an object has attacked me)
"brrr it's cold as fluff!"

genuinely having a conversation with my self, no.
one of my neighbours used to constantly talk to herself walking down the street etc, creeped me right out.

Man of Honour
my wife is abroad at the moment and I have the flat to myself. I'll often find myself explaining things to myself and talking myself through routines out loud. When she's around this hardly happens at all. It's subconscious.

Only about 5 times in 40 years of marriage and because I thought she wasn't in but my wife has asked "Are you talking to yourself?" and I always reply that I'm singing under my breath.

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm obviously not alone here as a couple of friends have said they do the same, but others think I'm losing the plot.

When I'm confronted with a difficult problem, I tend to talk it out to myself and rationalise what's happening in order to figure out a solution. I just can't do it in my head. Obviously this happens at work and some colleagues think I'm nuts.

I'm also a very visual person and prefer diagrams/pictures over verbose documentation so maybe that's something to do with it (although oddly, documentation is one of my strengths).

Is talking to yourself really the first sign of madness and the onset of dementia or is it just being special? :)

It's called rubber ******* and a lot of people do it

Soldato
I talk to myself all the time, usually to offer encouragement or chastisement. I've done it for as long as I remember, so its not an age related thing for me.

'Come on Riddle, sort it out, you can do this'

'What did you do that for? You knew what would happen'

Soldato
I have constant conversations in my head, but that's just the thought process isn't it? I wouldn't speak out loud unless I'd hit my thumb with a hammer.

If anyone is afflicted with talking out loud and is embarrassed about it then just pop some headphones in and people will just think you're speaking on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom