*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
did you return the G2 because its tethered ?

No. I returned it because I didn't like the controllers, found the tracking occasionally jittery, and the G2 running most games in reprojection mode with a 2070s. Also the whole blend of WMR, steamvr, and Oculus just seemed to flake out every so often resulting in a slide show that induced nausea and required all apps to be killed and restarted.

I'll continue to use the Q2 with the Link but I expect a more, seamless experience, and I'm sure my son will enjoy it without the tether too.

Associate
I'm really tempted by the 64 GB Quest 2!

I've never really tried proper, only real experience has been one of the original first gen samsung things that you put your phone into. My CPU wont be up to it yet but when new one arrives, would love a bit of Elite Dangerous or Half Life Alyx

Are these compatible with most PCVR games when using the link cable?

Associate
I will say that the G2 is sharper and more detailed. There's no comparison between Assetto Corsa on the G2 vs the Quest 2. On the other hand, the Quest tracking feels smoother.

Soldato
I will say that the G2 is sharper and more detailed. There's no comparison between Assetto Corsa on the G2 vs the Quest 2. On the other hand, the Quest tracking feels smoother.

What GPU do you have?

And, I presume you are using a Link cable? Is it the official one or one of the alternatives? Do you check to see if it's running at USB 3 or USB 2 speeds?

Also there is a quality setting in the device settings in the PC Oculus app. You can set that at 1.7 to run at native resolution.

Lastly in the debug tool you should set the encoding bitrate to 350.

Depending your GPU those settings should make a big difference to the display quality when using the link.

Associate
I guess the dedicated PC sets will always be visually better but I do like the option of a standalone option too. Only big downside to the Quest is obviously the whole having to have a Facebook account thing.....:mad:

Soldato
I guess the dedicated PC sets will always be visually better but I do like the option of a standalone option too. Only big downside to the Quest is obviously the whole having to have a Facebook account thing.....:mad:

Some of the standalone games are visually good in the q2, yes a pc is going to be able to do better, but it's far from ugly without.

Soldato
Best of all worlds by far, the quest 2. Yesterday i was playing elite dangerous tethered, display was pin sharp. Today im playing pokerstars vr sat on my sofa. Its streets ahead of the quest 1. If they can develop the fov for quest 3 theyll be unbeatable.

Soldato
Best of all worlds by far, the quest 2. Yesterday i was playing elite dangerous tethered, display was pin sharp. Today im playing pokerstars vr sat on my sofa. Its streets ahead of the quest 1. If they can develop the fov for quest 3 theyll be unbeatable.

q2 is my first headset, and I love it, but I'm already waiting on a great fov headset now :D. If q3 isn't a FOV enhancement, I'll probably hold off.

Soldato
q2 is my first headset, and I love it, but I'm already waiting on a great fov headset now :D. If q3 isn't a FOV enhancement, I'll probably hold off.

FOV is the one thing that makes me keep my Index - with the lenses dialed in you can't even see the upper and lower borders, and the left and right borders are right at your periphery.

Quest 2 feels like tunnel vision by comparison.

Associate
What GPU do you have?

And, I presume you are using a Link cable? Is it the official one or one of the alternatives? Do you check to see if it's running at USB 3 or USB 2 speeds?

Also there is a quality setting in the device settings in the PC Oculus app. You can set that at 1.7 to run at native resolution.

Depending your GPU those settings should make a big difference to the display quality when using the link.

I'll try that. It's currently around 1.1/1.2 and a bit rate of 300. 2070 Super. Using the official link into the only usb c port on the b450 tomahawk. How do I check speeds.

Edit: USB3 2gb. Set it to 350 and 1.5. That made a big difference to Assetto. Didn't drive to check the performance but it was definitely clearer. Had a quick shot of Robo Recall and that looked cleaner.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
What GPU do you have?

Wait 1.7 render resolution is native res?

Associate
Assetto on the Q2 is still a pale imitation of it running on the G2, and it's performance seems to be worse on the Q2 even with the blurry graphics. Worse, I can do a few laps in the G2 without any issues, but with the Q2 half a lap in I thought I was going to throw up. I suspect that my PC can't handle 350mbps at 1.5 with Assetto as there was some stuttering in the corners. I think I'll just give up on VR sim racing.

So Q2 better for tracking and general user friendliness. G2 better for visuals and sim racing. Can't keep both and Argos have a **** returns policy so the Q2 will need to stay.

Soldato
Assetto on the Q2 is still a pale imitation of it running on the G2, and it's performance seems to be worse on the Q2 even with the blurry graphics. Worse, I can do a few laps in the G2 without any issues, but with the Q2 half a lap in I thought I was going to throw up. I suspect that my PC can't handle 350mbps at 1.5 with Assetto as there was some stuttering in the corners. I think I'll just give up on VR sim racing.

So Q2 better for tracking and general user friendliness. G2 better for visuals and sim racing. Can't keep both and Argos have a **** returns policy so the Q2 will need to stay.

What drivers are you using on your 2070 Super? If it's any of the latest drivers they have problems with VR games at the moment. Especially Steam games. Try downloading the 446.41 drivers. Your Steam VR games will thank you.

Second, if your USB cable isn't capable of getting above 2.3Gbs then you might have issues.

For your 2070 Super try reducing the bitrate to 250 and your render resolution to 1.3/1.4.

Check to see if you have Pixel density in the debug tool set at anything other than "0"

If you have your VR legs, You should be able to play Sim Racing games without getting sick.

Soldato
Yes, apparently so according to the experts.

Time to stretch the legs of my 3080 then.

Warning - its native resolution on the quest 2 itself, but at the PC end its way way higher than 4k resolution, because the PC end has to render higher to account for the distortion of the display in the headset.

So 1.7 on the slider is actually rendering on the PC end at something in the region of 1.5x a 4k resolution. 4K is about 8 million pixels, which makes the PC rendering over 12 million pixels. You won't get 90 fps at that setting in many native pc games if any.

Back
Top Bottom