• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

No graphics cards that costs over a £1k makes any sense to me.
The 2080Ti didn't at the time, and nor does the 3090 now.

I've always maintained the whole point of being a an PC enthusiast is not about spending big, but spending wisely.
Seeking out the maximum amount of performance for the least amount of financial out lay.

Soldato
No graphics cards that costs over a £1k makes any sense to me.
The 2080Ti didn't at the time, and nor does the 3090 now.

I've always maintained the whole point of being a an PC enthusiast is not about spending big, but spending wisely.
Seeking out the maximum amount of performance for the least amount of financial out lay.

I absolutely 100% concur but I've just found myself purchasing a 3090FE as I just got so sick of the no-stock/gouge merry-go-round that I pressed buy for some pre-gouged NVIDA fun. I can now look forward to some lovely gaming over Christmas rather than pawing over Discord/Telegraph feeds and getting annoyed by terrible websites/stock control/gouging that consumers are currently being subjected to. Does it make sense for price vs performance absolutely not, does it make sense I can now just get back to my PC hobby and enjoy my new purchase/treat, yep and to me that's worth the money.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm surprised at that, did you get it from the Nvidia store when they were selling them?
No I went through the nvidia site to the Bolton store. Maybe I just got lucky it was one of the early Nov FE drops. I have been a customer with them for quite a few years so may be that has something to do with it.

Associate
I absolutely 100% concur but I've just found myself purchasing a 3090FE as I just got so sick of the no-stock/gouge merry-go-round that I pressed buy for some pre-gouged NVIDA fun. I can now look forward to some lovely gaming over Christmas rather than pawing over Discord/Telegraph feeds and getting annoyed by terrible websites/stock control/gouging that consumers are currently being subjected to. Does it make sense for price vs performance absolutely not, does it make sense I can now just get back to my PC hobby and enjoy my new purchase/treat, yep and to me that's worth the money.

Snap, got fed up with the whole scalping market soaking up all the cards so took a punt on a 3090 aswell. Yes it’s to much money for a card but who cares. Haters gonna hate because they can’t afford it that’s the reality

Permabanned
Snap, got fed up with the whole scalping market soaking up all the cards so took a punt on a 3090 aswell. Yes it’s to much money for a card but who cares. Haters gonna hate because they can’t afford it that’s the reality

I hadn't just spent all my money on a monitor I think I might too. I was really looking forward to the 30 release and instead of the fun it was supposed to be it's as big a disappointment as the 20 release.

Soldato

I can fully accept that some will not buy out of principle or because it doesn’t align with their enjoyment of PC hardware, I don’t really buy into “haters” (sure there may be a handful).

I got labelled a hater and jealous when I stated early on that I though the 3090 was bad value for money and that’s why I didn’t initially buy.

Last edited:
Associate
I hadn't just spent all my money on a monitor I think I might too. I was really looking forward to the 30 release and instead of the fun it was supposed to be it's as big a disappointment as the 20 release.

Indeed all the fun was sucked out of it. I’ve never bought a card on launch day and I don’t think I ever will again unless there are better measures put in place to stop websites crashing and scalpers getting all the cards

Soldato
It's really not a case of not being able to afford one. I just can't justify that sort of cash one one computer component. What do you do when the 40 series is released? Everyone with a 3090 will be dropping even more money on a 4090. Where does it end? I'm sorry, I like to see some value from something.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Indeed all the fun was sucked out of it. I’ve never bought a card on launch day and I don’t think I ever will again unless there are better measures put in place to stop websites crashing and scalpers getting all the cards

I think that is here to stay. It may have been less abused in the past but like the football match ticket touts, once they all get wind it hard to disband it. Just try to upgrade outside of the new release cycles I think, this was the only one where I planned it in advance and joined the trains - not gonna happen again.

Associate
It's really not a case of not being able to afford one. I just can't justify that sort of cash one one computer component. What do you do when the 40 series is released? Everyone with a 3090 will be dropping even more money on a 4090. Where does it end? I'm sorry, I like to see some value from something.
It probably ends in a blood bath and Ivan back behind bars! :D

Back
Top Bottom