elite dangerous is currently free on epic store

Associate
You may need to refer to this when it comes.....
When mine came the "i" button was mapped to boost/afterburner but it did nothing when pressed,
Solution,
Control Panel->Devices and Printers-> Right-click X52-> Game controller settings->select X52 and click Preferences->MFD Tab->Remove the tick at clutch mode active->click Ok
Thanks for the heads uip, will review this thread when it arrives.
As it happens i only thought I had one ordered. Got the call this morning to say that they had checked suppliers and couldn't get one.
Working out in my favour, as found one on the favourite auction site that was more expensive, but an promo code got it down to £143.

Associate
Thanks for the heads uip, will review this thread when it arrives.
As it happens i only thought I had one ordered. Got the call this morning to say that they had checked suppliers and couldn't get one.
Working out in my favour, as found one on the favourite auction site that was more expensive, but an promo code got it down to £143.
Nice, I ended up ordering direct from Logitech in Holland

Soldato
I've got the X52 pro, had it for a few years. Amazing bit of kit, except one of the hat switches on the throttle no longer works properly.

Associate
so got my X52 and fired up elite dangerous.

Not sure I'm up to the steep learning curve. I've had a few issues that I can't resolve very early on in the training.

Got thru navigating thru the various rings. Then there is a satelite that I need to target and scan. By kindly randomly pressing buttons on the stick by feel, I got it targeted. But then no matter what I pressed it wouldn't scan, it was telling me to press and hold the trigger, but that didn't do anything. Spend 15 minutes trying this. Looking around the cockpit activates various screens but I can seem to interact with them

Lifted the quest off to see if I could do it better using the monitor, no luck. Put the quest back on. It had powered-off, and on coming back on I was now sitting much lower in the cockpit, effectively sitting well below the seat. I could not find any flight or rudder button that would get me into elite config options, to recentre or whatever.

Being entirely new to both elite and the flightstick, am I better just starting off using the monitor, so at least I can look at the stick and figure what buttons do what etc ?

Any help for someone who is both an elite and X52 newbie would be appreciated. Having to say the sense of being in the ship as you fly around and look around independantly is fantastic. Any sites i can go to that'll hand hold the early familiarisation stages ?

Soldato
I set F12 on my keyboard to the recentre view button. Easy to find and hit if I need to sort that out. Alternately you can bind a key on the X52 to do it.

Soldato
so got my X52 and fired up elite dangerous.

Not sure I'm up to the steep learning curve. I've had a few issues that I can't resolve very early on in the training.

Got thru navigating thru the various rings. Then there is a satelite that I need to target and scan. By kindly randomly pressing buttons on the stick by feel, I got it targeted. But then no matter what I pressed it wouldn't scan, it was telling me to press and hold the trigger, but that didn't do anything. Spend 15 minutes trying this. Looking around the cockpit activates various screens but I can seem to interact with them

Lifted the quest off to see if I could do it better using the monitor, no luck. Put the quest back on. It had powered-off, and on coming back on I was now sitting much lower in the cockpit, effectively sitting well below the seat. I could not find any flight or rudder button that would get me into elite config options, to recentre or whatever.

Being entirely new to both elite and the flightstick, am I better just starting off using the monitor, so at least I can look at the stick and figure what buttons do what etc ?

Any help for someone who is both an elite and X52 newbie would be appreciated. Having to say the sense of being in the ship as you fly around and look around independantly is fantastic. Any sites i can go to that'll hand hold the early familiarisation stages ?
Stick with it. Elite isnclunkynin places but once you learn it's foibles it will click.

You have 2 fire buttons. Primary and secondary. Scan is usually secondary.
To add to the confusion you can set up multiple fire groups so primary and secondary fire can do different things and on top of that you have 2 hud mode combat and exploration (I don't like this recent addition to be honest).

In the practice missions for now I imagine you just need to find your secondary firepower.

If I were you I would start off with the official X52 profile in the game but you may want to configure things as you go.

Iirc T is to target the thing directly in front of you. That is the only target feature I use and I have it as a button on my X56 as well as a target command in voice attack.

When scanning you have to hold your finger on the button till the scan is complete (you get a visual indicator of scanning progress)

Soldato
i dunno why, but i thought this game was part of the "X-Beyond the frontier" games

so is this game after Elite First Encounters (which i have on CD)

Yep, it's a modern sequel, or remake of those games, set in the same universe. The studio (Frontier Developments) is still run by David Braben, who with Ian Bell first released Elite back in 1984 on the BBC micro.

Soldato
i dunno why, but i thought this game was part of the "X-Beyond the frontier" games

The legacy continues in the form of X-Rebirth VR. Different game, but one i prefer when it comes to expansive space fairing games. Looks amazing on the G2 all at ultra leading a capital battle fleet in to action.

Underboss
i completed X + expansions, X2 + expansions, i started X3, but i need to re play it again as its been a long all time ago lol

I have X3 reunion 2.0 GOTY 2007 edition + X3 Reunion GOTY
rebirth is the next one i take it

maybe ill do X3 reunion first then Elite dangerous vr

im unsure

Soldato
Ive been playing this for a couple weeks now on and off. Ive got a few million in money and bought the hauler, and have been doing some exploration.

Is there some things I should be trying to achieve in this game? As at the moment I can make a few million by taking the sidewinder out and shooting some wanted people, or I can make a few million by taking the hauler out and exploring (using the road to riches tool for directions). But aside from that is there something I should be trying to do?

Soldato
Ive been playing this for a couple weeks now on and off. Ive got a few million in money and bought the hauler, and have been doing some exploration.

Is there some things I should be trying to achieve in this game? As at the moment I can make a few million by taking the sidewinder out and shooting some wanted people, or I can make a few million by taking the hauler out and exploring (using the road to riches tool for directions). But aside from that is there something I should be trying to do?
Basically it's your story, like being a kid and sitting in a box pretending your a fighter pilot etc.

Soldato
Basically it's your story, like being a kid and sitting in a box pretending your a fighter pilot etc.

the two attractive options at the moment are:
1. deep space exploring - i.e travelling to the other side of the galaxy
2. becoming a notorious ruthless killing machine

So for number 1, when I go off exploring, my questions are:
1a) is it possible to find stuff no-one else has found before?
1b) and if so, how do I show other (real) people these discoveries? Can I, for example, photograph them and publish them somewhere?
1c) is it going to be a case of - once ive seen one earth like world ive seen them all? Or is there significant variation in what's out there - genuine undiscovered things?

And for number 2:
2a) is it possible to become a notorious bloody killer, don't I just become wanted myself and get destroyed by the computer controlled ships?
2b) if it is possible, where is my earned notoriety displayed?

for both questions 1b and 2b, what Im getting at is that is this a community type game or is it just really played solo? I know the game world is filled with other real players, but do you get to interact with them in any meaningful way? Do you get to build a 'real' reputation in the simulated universe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom