• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Permabanned
With Hard Brexit on the cards in about 3 weeks.

£1400 might look like a bargain come 2021. lol

£400 over the AIB 3080 dont seem too bad for me. + COD + Watchdogs.

If you can even find one at that price. Most of them seem to be around £1600-£1800 even from decent stores.

Associate
I absolutely 100% concur but I've just found myself purchasing a 3090FE as I just got so sick of the no-stock/gouge merry-go-round that I pressed buy for some pre-gouged NVIDA fun. I can now look forward to some lovely gaming over Christmas rather than pawing over Discord/Telegraph feeds and getting annoyed by terrible websites/stock control/gouging that consumers are currently being subjected to. Does it make sense for price vs performance absolutely not, does it make sense I can now just get back to my PC hobby and enjoy my new purchase/treat, yep and to me that's worth the money.
Yup hear hear. To me, my free time is valuable and I don't want to waste it continually studying discord channels and getting excited when the stock alert pings and it's just Curry's telling me I can put a 3080 in my basket but then it can't deliver one to me. Yes it's more than I was going to pay but at the end of the day when I need something I want it within a reasonable timescale, not 6 months later.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah they are getting greedy. Everyone wants a slice of the action. £12 quick for DPD. Scandalous.

Dont speak about DPD please.. :mad:

With Hard Brexit on the cards in about 3 weeks.

£1400 might look like a bargain come 2021. lol

I pointed this out before in my justification guilt explanation to others, its not a reason to base much on but it could become an overnight thing if retailers suddenly slap another £30 markup for something like this. Could happen, just saying.

If you can even find one at that price. Most of them seem to be around £1600-£1800 even from decent stores.

Exactly, if you can bag a FE then not sure why you would look at AIB unless the money is not an issue over features/looks/availability.

Associate
Mine was ordered & has been sat in the "not yet shipped tray" for a tad longer than I would like. I will just wait for now.
My systems weak spot is its graphics card .
I Sim race in VR @21060x2160 per eye. as close to 90Mhz as I can get
My "hobby" also includes an actuator powered motion rig, numerous wheel rims all aquired over time/ so for me its ( graphics) an investment in semi-retirment during the Covid climate.

Settings compromise has always been my catch word(s).

8Gb struggles as did 11Gb( when I had the chance to borrow a friends card for a week)
Thus my 'reasoning' process went along the lines of 10Gb is a non starter. 16Gb is the min .
4k performance (especially the minimum frame rates) is very important, then comes availability and lastly cost.
So for me its 3 out of 4 boxes ticked.

Of course it can/will be classed as overpriced compared to other cards, but that is the price. Many will wish not to pay it.

Yes I could gamble , wait and pay no doubt close to £1100 for the 6900XT if/when it appears. Or wait even longer for the AIBs or the 3080ti s
I could even wait till RDNA3 or the 40 series.

However. My decision is that , Ive waited and compromised for long enough.

Soldato
Mine was ordered & has been sat in the "not yet shipped tray" for a tad longer than I would like. I will just wait for now.
My systems weak spot is its graphics card .
I Sim race in VR @21060x2160 per eye. as close to 90Mhz as I can get
My "hobby" also includes an actuator powered motion rig, numerous wheel rims all aquired over time/ so for me its ( graphics) an investment in semi-retirment during the Covid climate.

Settings compromise has always been my catch word(s).

8Gb struggles as did 11Gb( when I had the chance to borrow a friends card for a week)
Thus my 'reasoning' process went along the lines of 10Gb is a non starter. 16Gb is the min .
4k performance (especially the minimum frame rates) is very important, then comes availability and lastly cost.
So for me its 3 out of 4 boxes ticked.

Of course it can/will be classed as overpriced compared to other cards, but that is the price. Many will wish not to pay it.

Yes I could gamble , wait and pay no doubt close to £1100 for the 6900XT if/when it appears. Or wait even longer for the AIBs or the 3080ti s
I could even wait till RDNA3 or the 40 series.

However. My decision is that , Ive waited and compromised for long enough.

Sounds like the price of a 3090 is a drop in the ocean to what your RIG costs and with it chugging 2 4k displays a 3090 is a viable option. You use one of those Pixma headsets for VR? Will be good to see what the 6900XT is like for very high resolution performance.

Would like to see a pic of your racing sim rig - but a dream for me.

Associate
Sounds like the price of a 3090 is a drop in the ocean to what your RIG costs and with it chugging 2 4k displays a 3090 is a viable option. You use one of those Pixma headsets for VR? Will be good to see what the 6900XT is like for very high resolution performance.

Would like to see a pic of your racing sim rig - but a dream for me.

Year by year I slowly bought upgrades & bits n bobs . So yes I suppose I have spent a fair bit on it over time.
The plus side , although I could have bought an old banger and raced it . I can only have Virtual Accidents in the rig thus my life expectancy is somewhat increased.
Even though the immersion factor of my immenent demise is still unnerving. :)

Not a Primax (yet) but a Reverb G1 .
I have no doubt that I will not be able to put the eye candy all the way to 11 in certain titles and maintain the higher FPS needed to "stop the vomit"
However It will hopefully be a major improvement (If somewhat expensive).

Associate
These are halo cards for those who just can't stand having the second fastest graphics card or for those who can't wait for 3080 as they are transitioning to 3080 Ti. NVIDIA themselves turned 2080 Ti into meme material by posting a YouTube video on how they built 1 full system with a 3070 for the price of a 2080 Ti with equal performance. It makes even less sense in this generation as at 1440p, the 3090 is a measly 8%-10% faster than 3080. At least the 2080 Ti was 25% faster than a 2080. No offense to any buyers, but this card doesn't make any sense to me. You could sell of the 3080, pay a reasonable scalped premium for the 4080 and it still wouldn't cost as much as a 3090, while blowing it out of the water once it launches in a year or so.

Associate
As i posted above i personally noticed and enjoy the difference in the games i play which are at 4k over the 3080 ... its up to you if you think the extra frames are worth it or not but as i own a 4k 144hz monitor and a 77" Lg cx which is 4k 120/hz i wanted as many as i could get :D

A benchmark i ran in multiplayer on modern warfare , these are at 4k with ultra setting including RT

3080FE :

ModernWarfare.exe benchmark completed, 64426 frames rendered in 555.594 s
Average framerate : 115.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 69.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 149.2 FPS
1% low framerate : 75.8 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 12.3 FPS

3090 Strix oc:

ModernWarfare.exe benchmark completed, 68380 frames rendered in 497.047 s
Average framerate : 137.5 FPS
Minimum framerate : 86.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 183.7 FPS
1% low framerate : 89.6 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 6.3 FPS

Strait up...I'm jelous about that 77'' but that's not the point

Not beeing smart but if you would replace that 3080 FE with 3080 strix oc and clock it +100Hz +700mem , this result would look totaly different. You've only achived that much fps difference because of factory setting low power limit on 3080FE.

3080 ftw3 ultra, Aorus xtreme and strix oc with a bit of OC is the way to go for most ppl but if someone have disposable amount of money and desire "best you can buy" than by all means 3090 is the one and only.

...good news for everyone...3080's starting to "pop-up" here and there. Sign up for email notifications, keep revisitng popular websites on daily basis and you will get one this year...dont give up 1000quid for 8FPS average.

Associate
Strait up...I'm jelous about that 77'' but that's not the point

Not beeing smart but if you would replace that 3080 FE with 3080 strix oc and clock it +100Hz +700mem , this result would look totaly different. You've only achived that much fps difference because of factory setting low power limit on 3080FE.

3080 ftw3 ultra, Aorus xtreme and strix oc with a bit of OC is the way to go for most ppl but if someone have disposable amount of money and desire "best you can buy" than by all means 3090 is the one and only.

...good news for everyone...3080's starting to "pop-up" here and there. Sign up for email notifications, keep revisitng popular websites on daily basis and you will get one this year...dont give up 1000quid for 8FPS average.

I will disagree with you on this point as that 3080 FE i was using was clocked to the max it could possibly do which ended up being one of the best card i have used for overclocking ... it was so good its currently sitting 22nd in the timespy thread we have running on here with my strix at no 4 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/time-spy-standard-dx-12-bench.18740536/ i see no 3080 strix beating it yet , for a 3080 its score still hasn't been beaten so would say it was one of the better 3080 and would show it in its best possible light. The FE are good cards :)

Associate
I will disagree with you on this point as that 3080 FE i was using was clocked to the max it could possibly do which ended up being one of the best card i have used for overclocking ... it was so good its currently sitting 22nd in the timespy thread we have running on here with my strix at no 4 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/time-spy-standard-dx-12-bench.18740536/ i see no 3080 strix beating it yet , for a 3080 its score still hasn't been beaten so would say it was one of the better 3080 and would show it in its best possible light. The FE are good cards :)

How can card with 350W power limit beat AIB FTW3 ultra with 450W power limit and superior cooling solution? and why no one done that before an post it on YouTube ? .... , I looked at that chart but there is no way to tell witch 3080 was used for, it doesn't show the model in time spy result , only that it was 3080.
How GamerNexus / Jay 2 cents or any other reviewer didn't achieve what you clamming you did ?... I think the answer is simple....

Associate
How can card with 350W power limit beat AIB FTW3 ultra with 450W power limit and superior cooling solution? and why no one done that before an post it on YouTube ? .... , I looked at that chart but there is no way to tell witch 3080 was used for, it doesn't show the model in time spy result , only that it was 3080.
How GamerNexus / Jay 2 cents or any other reviewer didn't achieve what you clamming you did ?... I think the answer is simple....

What are you implying ? that i am lying ?

The timespy result tell you which manufacture made the gpu and you can also check the actual gpu score to gauge an idea of its performance so in that run it scored 19511 & the only other person that beats that is no 34 with 19525 which just so happens to have my old 3080FE card in it now ;)

Associate
What are you implying ? that i am lying ?

The timespy result tell you which manufacture made the gpu and you can also check the actual gpu score to gauge an idea of its performance so in that run it scored 19511 & the only other person that beats that is no 34 with 19525 which just so happens to have my old 3080FE card in it now ;)

All I`m saying is that your story doesn't match....you said before that your Strix is at number 4.....if you click on that link and check in time spy graphic card details... the Vendor for that card is EVGA....last time I remember EVGA didn't manufacture STRIX cards;)

Associate
All I`m saying is that your story doesn't match....you said before that your Strix is at number 4.....if you click on that link and check in time spy graphic card details... the Vendor for that card is EVGA....last time I remember EVGA didn't manufacture STRIX cards;)

EVGA bios on Strix card? ... before you ask, higher power limit chap

..and yes, this 3080FE is running a stock bios with stock power limit.. Silicon lottery I guess, or did Nvidia bin the chips :rolleyes:

but there maybe more to it.. are you all running nvidia control panel settings at high performance? There are gains to be had.. Running fan profiles at max on benchmarks? It's not like it's stable in games at these settings

Last edited:
Associate

That's what happens when you flash a strix with an evga bios ;) My strix score is 65 points difference so basically sweet fa difference and would still keep me in 4th place ... just for you here is the strix run https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14900131

Back
Top Bottom