• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Accidentally cancelled both my 3080 orders!

Soldato
LOL.. a lesson in what not to do and a cautionary tale!

I had pre-ordered an MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 on launch day, then realised the next day I'd need to reconfigure my water loop as the MSI is stupidly long, so ordered an Asus TUF OC 3080 a couple of days later.. My brother was desperate for a card so I kept the MSI one open so he could have that (it's still a damn good card).

I've been patiently waiting and getting queue updates, but on the launch of the RX6800XT my brother decided he'd rather go AMD and so I duly cancelled the MSI Gaming X Trio (19th Nov) as I'm not a scalper and wanted to give up the place in the Queue, so used the online form and cancelled..
I thought nothing of it until another Queue update came in for the MSI card, so thought I'd been stupid and not used the form correctly and so resubmitted a cancellation request...

In the background I'm having massive building work done (the house is a tip, no kitchen etc we are living on a building site), building a huge shed to house all the stuff displaced from the now demolished garage (in the middle of winter, not fun!), and on top of that, contracted COVID-19 (20th Nov) which has messed things up and took me out of action for nearly two weeks (Just getting over it now), So I never checked my emails properly at the time to realise what is so obvious now...

I'd stupidly/mistakenly cancelled the Asus card on 19th Nov, not realised and then cancelled the MSI properly on 1st Dec.. the Net effect is I've lost a reasonably priced Asus TUF OC.. Looking back I think the different web order number form the shop order number and having loads of emails for both had me cut/paste the wrong web order number.

With everything else going on I was hoping for a nice Xmas pressie to myself, but stupidity got in the way..

Of course cancellation is final etc, I ticked the boxes etc.. I've popped a web note in, but can't really expect any help with this..

It's probably karma, when I had to tell the Mrs her dream kitchen was now not remotely possible by Christmas and having all the stress of dealing with a very disappointed person, I guess I can share in that with my own tale of woe!

It's only a graphics card after all, but something about shiny new tech seems to bring out the worst in all of us!

Soldato
Yep that's a bit of a doh moment.

You didn't have to be a scalper by accepting both cards, there was another member on the MM who'd ordered something like 4-5 cards and was selling them for the same price, but knowing that they would go to loyal members.

Permabanned
LOL.. a lesson in what not to do and a cautionary tale!

I had pre-ordered an MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 on launch day, then realised the next day I'd need to reconfigure my water loop as the MSI is stupidly long, so ordered an Asus TUF OC 3080 a couple of days later.. My brother was desperate for a card so I kept the MSI one open so he could have that (it's still a damn good card).

I've been patiently waiting and getting queue updates, but on the launch of the RX6800XT my brother decided he'd rather go AMD and so I duly cancelled the MSI Gaming X Trio (19th Nov) as I'm not a scalper and wanted to give up the place in the Queue, so used the online form and cancelled..
I thought nothing of it until another Queue update came in for the MSI card, so thought I'd been stupid and not used the form correctly and so resubmitted a cancellation request...

In the background I'm having massive building work done (the house is a tip, no kitchen etc we are living on a building site), building a huge shed to house all the stuff displaced from the now demolished garage (in the middle of winter, not fun!), and on top of that, contracted COVID-19 (20th Nov) which has messed things up and took me out of action for nearly two weeks (Just getting over it now), So I never checked my emails properly at the time to realise what is so obvious now...

I'd stupidly/mistakenly cancelled the Asus card on 19th Nov, not realised and then cancelled the MSI properly on 1st Dec.. the Net effect is I've lost a reasonably priced Asus TUF OC.. Looking back I think the different web order number form the shop order number and having loads of emails for both had me cut/paste the wrong web order number.

With everything else going on I was hoping for a nice Xmas pressie to myself, but stupidity got in the way..

Of course cancellation is final etc, I ticked the boxes etc.. I've popped a web note in, but can't really expect any help with this..

It's probably karma, when I had to tell the Mrs her dream kitchen was now not remotely possible by Christmas and having all the stress of dealing with a very disappointed person, I guess I can share in that with my own tale of woe!

It's only a graphics card after all, but something about shiny new tech seems to bring out the worst in all of us!

I'm so sorry. It's not really your fault, this release is just the third and latest NVIDIA farce. It was bound to end up in consumer casualties. The first time it was the miners with NVIDIA just sitting there raking in the cash and pretending there is nothing they can do, then once the miners disappear NVIDIA thinking it can charge anything it likes for the 20 series, and now NVIDIA getting demand hopelessly wrong for the 30 series. It's been a mess for years.

Soldato
Get on one of those discord alerters mate - probably get one on there before you got any of the others. You do need to instantly be able to action an alert when they happen. Annoying and good luck.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the kind replies!

Prices are way too high now to even contemplate finding one in stock now.. I had the Asus TUF OC for £719 before my faux-pas, and now we are looking at £860.. :eek:

Soldato
Thanks for the kind replies!

Prices are way too high now to even contemplate finding one in stock now.. I had the Asus TUF OC for £719 before my faux-pas, and now we are looking at £860.. :eek:
Decent priced cards do exist but it sounds like you have enough going on to avoid the hellscape of finding one.

Soldato
OP
I've looked at a few options, but I just can't bring myself to pay so much over the odds just for my own stupidity.

I will say that OCuk's customer service team are super friendly, I've had need twice now to contact them about 3080 orders and whilst they can't always help due to policy etc, I do appreciate their friendly approach and get the sense they genuinely are trying to help :)

I can't believe the extent of scalping businesses, I've found 3 places with stock of a 3080 but all want £950+ for entry level cards..

Back
Top Bottom