Looking for a IPS Monitor preferably

Associate
Hi guys,

Looking to upgrade my Optix MAG271CQR
monitor from 27in 1440p, currently have an msi curved but I hear IPS panel would be the preferred choice, GPU was an Nitro Se 5700XT.

Was looking at the IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 IPS

Any advice be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well UW and IPS is certainly a worthy upgrade. The GB3461WQSU-B1 certainly is a good monitor, I just question whether you would miss that curve?

Associate
OP
Well UW and IPS is certainly a worthy upgrade. The GB3461WQSU-B1 certainly is a good monitor, I just question whether you would miss that curve?

Well the curve is great and all, but not with such bad blacks on it. Then you try to change its just bad monitor to try and calibrate.

I'm only gaming about year now, would you suggest stay with curve and go VA?

Permabanned
Well the curve is great and all, but not with such bad blacks on it. Then you try to change its just bad monitor to try and calibrate.

I'm only gaming about year now, would you suggest stay with curve and go VA?

All monitors have down sides, it's a question of which is least important to you. I am surprised you say that your Optix MAG271CQR has bad blacks. IPS tend to be a bit renown for weak contrast so you may find an IPS even worse. I believe that your monitor though does have inaccurate colours, and usually IPS has very good colours. VA panels tend to smear blacks as you move around, which is fine for games but not so good for text. Curving ( in my opinion ) is not so noticeable on 27" monitors but it looks natural than flat on a 34".
I certainly would not take just my advice. What annoys me may not annoy you. I prefer IPS for the colours and viewing angles and am not bothered at all by the relatively poor blacks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

Looking to upgrade my Optix MAG271CQR
monitor from 27in 1440p, currently have an msi curved but I hear IPS panel would be the preferred choice, GPU was an Nitro Se 5700XT.

Was looking at the IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 IPS

Any advice be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Kevin

While I do recommend the Iiyama, what you get seems to be a bit of hit and miss:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...4hz-1ms-ips-freesync-for-400.18886990/page-41

I was lucky (?) and got a good one on my first try, but many have reported having theirs replaced more than 5 times due to different issues

Soldato
Surely VA panels have blacker blacks than IPS? I bought an IPS because I like the vibrant colours. But since blacks are your reason for upgrading, it seems a bit of a downgrade. VA screens have very good blacks.

Your current monitor retails for £400 and you want to "upgrade" to a £339.95 monitor?

Associate
Surely VA panels have blacker blacks than IPS? I bought an IPS because I like the vibrant colours. But since blacks are your reason for upgrading, it seems a bit of a downgrade. VA screens have very good blacks.

Your current monitor retails for £400 and you want to "upgrade" to a £339.95 monitor?

Well the Optix MAG271CQR is an older model, and its successor, the Optix MAG272CQR, is cheaper than 400 quid. Also imo MSI monitors are expensive for what you get, but you pay for the fancy lights and gaming looks etc. And afaik MSI's QC is not superior to Iiyama's...

Back
Top Bottom