Poll: Sakhir Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 16/17

Rate the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I don't think George Russell will be on the podium, but i'd be impressed if he is. It's a lot to ask of him, regardless of how good the car is and how dull the track is.

Really? If the Mercedes is the fastest car, and Russell isn't on the podium or exceptionally close to it, I'd say it would be a poor result. After-all Russell has been racing all year. Hulk was immediately fast in the Racing Point.

Soldato
^ But he was in the Mercedes itself in Abu Dhabi at the end of last year.

I think a lot will be down to how quick he is in qualifying or at stages in the race. I don't think it's fair to ask him for absolute consistency over several stints in a foreign car of which he has no experience.

It plays into his hands that the lap is short and there are so few corners, though I think something like being a tenth or two off Bottas in Q3 and anything better than finishing a few seconds behind Max in the race (assuming Bottas wins) then he'd have done a very solid job.

Hopefully for him he gets another go in Abu Dhabi, which would be a better indicator.

Permabanned
The comment just about Albon is really relevant, there is huge pressure on him I would image to see how he handles Russell.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There's still a lot for Russell to lose, even if Merc don't.

1- Fail to finish in the top 5 (looks bad on him)
2- Crash whilst pushing (looks bad on him)
3- Stuff it whilst under pressure (looks bad on him)
4- Do really well (people say "it was because of the car")

He needs to outperform Bottas consistently to get any sort of praise.

I don't agree with that, but simply finishing in the points would be my idea of "done well" and I hope he achieves that. However make no mistake, this could make or break his future if the impression he sets is a bad one.

Caporegime
Well. Russell beats Mr. Friday in FP1. That's a great start for him.

Fitipaldi and Aitken have much more the showings I'd expect from stand-ins, although obviously the jump up for them is much more than for Russell, at a 1s and 0.4s behind their teammates. If they can improve from there, they're both in for good weekends.

Back
Top Bottom