*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
Thanks and that's what I thought until my deployment. My LR covers the kitchen and garden and the UDM the rest, must have thick walls or busy ranges.

Associate
My 16 port poe switch has died out of warranty :( When I removed the cover and ( carefully ) connected the mains lead I noticed a green led on the plug that was barely lit and pulsing slightly in brightness, there is also a very very soft clicking sound with the pulses.

I wondered if anyone else had ever come across anything like this or had any suggestions? Are replacement parts available in the UK?

Associate
I have a question for the Unifi experts on this board..

I am currently using a UDM (non pro) and its generally been decent. Following my purchase I ended up in a situation where I have two internet connections coming into my house and I would like to set up something that can utilise dual WAN. The UDM (non pro) doesnt do dual WAN.

Is it possible to set up Pfsense with the UDM? For example, Pfsense will deal with the dual WAN and the UDM can be an access point and deal with everything else.

From having searched online, this looks difficult and the general advice seems to be abandon the UDM and get something that natively handles dual wan. I thought I would ask before I did decide to abandon the machine.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I have the controller on RPi4, with 2 x 8 port POE switches and 4 x Unifi APs of various types(Mix of AC-Pro, AC-HD. HD Nano and AC-LR). Is it worth investing in a UDM at this time? Not sure if they are working on a replacement?
With RPi4 I find it a bit difficult to maintain it with the docker setup I have, so I thought it would be better to move it out of RPi4, and I could probably use better wifi with UDM in the attic room where my Pi setup is and home office is.

Soldato
I always found docker to be a pain for Unifi, especially if you have it coexisting with something and have to compromise/redirect on the ports in which case I found broke some bits. I put it on a dedicated PI and was much better, although I've since just rolled up a small Ubuntu VM for it.

Soldato
I have the controller on RPi4, with 2 x 8 port POE switches and 4 x Unifi APs of various types(Mix of AC-Pro, AC-HD. HD Nano and AC-LR). Is it worth investing in a UDM at this time? Not sure if they are working on a replacement?
With RPi4 I find it a bit difficult to maintain it with the docker setup I have, so I thought it would be better to move it out of RPi4, and I could probably use better wifi with UDM in the attic room where my Pi setup is and home office is.

There isn't a direct replacement for UDM-P but there is another version slightly cut down as wont support Protect/Access & talk

https://store.ui.com/collections/un...ifi-next-generation-gateway-professional-beta

Soldato
I have a question for the Unifi experts on this board..

I am currently using a UDM (non pro) and its generally been decent. Following my purchase I ended up in a situation where I have two internet connections coming into my house and I would like to set up something that can utilise dual WAN. The UDM (non pro) doesnt do dual WAN.

Is it possible to set up Pfsense with the UDM? For example, Pfsense will deal with the dual WAN and the UDM can be an access point and deal with everything else.

From having searched online, this looks difficult and the general advice seems to be abandon the UDM and get something that natively handles dual wan. I thought I would ask before I did decide to abandon the machine.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah it would be a ball to admin as you would be double routing stuff. I was running pfsense but I've bought a UDM-P and the main reason was to use the Protect side, having 3 ESXi images running pfsense/Unifi and Protect didn't make sense.

pfsense is much more powerful* and if you don't want the Protect cameras then stick with that.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it would be a ball to admin as you would be double routing stuff. I was running pfsense but I've bought a UDM-P and the main reason was to use the Protect side, having 3 ESXi images running pfsense/Unifi and Protect didn't make sense.

pfsense is much more painful and if you don't want the Protect cameras then stick with that.

Thanks, I figured as much reading about people trying to integrate a UDM/Pro into their pfsense builds.

I take it by that last sentence you mean Pfsense by itself is much less painful to use?

Soldato
Thanks, I figured as much reading about people trying to integrate a UDM/Pro into their pfsense builds.

I take it by that last sentence you mean Pfsense by itself is much less painful to use?

haha powerful, you have many more custom options with pfsense compared to the locked down use for the UDM-P.

OpenVPN for one, is built into pfsense but on the UDM-P you can't use it for clients, you can use OpenVPN for the UDM-P as a client VPN though! Which seems odd why they haven't enabled us to setup our own home VPN servers.

Soldato
I've been running the controller on as a VM running Ubuntu, but I picked up a Cloud Key Gen2 Plus thing at the weekend, as other say it just works. I could have just got the standard Cloud Key, but when there was about £10 difference I went for the plus. I'm not planning on using Protect, but the option is always there. Drive would have to be swapped ideally to a SSD as I can image it being pretty slow.

Later this week, testing some locations in the house with a plan to drop to a single AP if it covers everything. So I'd consolidate a Lite, Pro and Flex-HD into a Nano-HD or one of their new Wifi6 offerings.

Running Sophos XG otherwise, that replaced the utter junk of a UDM-PRO product. I see the UXG-PRO has gone quiet, has that been junked internally at UI... I was going to circle back round re pfsense. Currently running an Atom Pondesk unit, but got a spare PC with an i3-6100T now along with a PowerEdge R220 Server, that's got a Xeon with a TDP of 25W

Switch wise running a 24 x UI switch, 8 Port POE and planning on another.

Soldato
Tested a location and all good with the Pro, question is whether to "upgrade" it to the Nano HD etc.

Next up, plan the cabling along with the other things we want to get sorted re the house. We'd like ceilings skimmed, bathrooms changed and various stuff, so plenty of works potentially. At the end of it all new carpets hopefully. 2020, has been monumentally ***** and I have some money to achieve changes. As a friend has said to me previously, don't die the richest guy in the graveyard.

Soldato
Might as well go for the Unifi Lite 6 over the nano, yes 2x2 vs 4x4 for HD but AX so futureproof

agreed. The only bugger at mo, is it’s not covering my ring camera on the garage, it’s not far away, but obviously the direction downwards through the house won’t cover. Stood outside under the camera with the iPhone and no signal, also means no coverage for the garden. Not that really is a prob..

mount higher into the loft? Fundamentally I’m happy with the coverage with 1 x AP mounted on the ceiling.

Not running cable into the kitchen as that was finished last year, could leave a lite connected via power line dedicated to the Ring device.

running mesh at mo and want get away from that.

Soldato
agreed. The only bugger at mo, is it’s not covering my ring camera on the garage, it’s not far away, but obviously the direction downwards through the house won’t cover. Stood outside under the camera with the iPhone and no signal, also means no coverage for the garden. Not that really is a prob..

mount higher into the loft? Fundamentally I’m happy with the coverage with 1 x AP mounted on the ceiling.

Not running cable into the kitchen as that was finished last year, could leave a lite connected via power line dedicated to the Ring device.

running mesh at mo and want get away from that.

Try UNII2 channels as you'll get a bit more power, also make sure you are set to 20MHz channels as less SNR compared to the wider channels.

Soldato
Try UNII2 channels as you'll get a bit more power, also make sure you are set to 20MHz channels as less SNR compared to the wider channels.

It's on the 20Mhz band for 2.4Ghz, but power set to medium, it was on low previously. I haven't upped it to high or auto yet. Ultimate priority is consistent spend in the house, with tested location. I'm planning on a patch panel /cabinet in the loft, move my switch and server/firewall up there. If I need to patch something and put it in the loft just for the Ring, I can do.

I'd probably get my PowerEdge R220 running again with Sophos XG as the firewall, that or pfsense. Really gone off Untangle and Unif's edge offerings are junk.

Soldato
Oh yeah if its 2.4 set to low power. :D

The higher the AP is mounted the bigger the area it'll cover but also the more it'll effect other clients.

UniFi 6 Extender might also be option if you go WiFi 6/AX

Soldato
Oh yeah if its 2.4 set to low power. :D

The higher the AP is mounted the bigger the area it'll cover but also the more it'll effect other clients.

UniFi 6 Extender might also be option if you go WiFi 6/AX

I agree, but with the insulation and such, how much of an effect will that have in the loft etc.

I generally always set to low power on the 2.4Ghz, otherwise you get the shouting match effect.

Will have a look at that offering. re the Unifi 6 Extender.

There will be three 8 x Unifi switches (two to add) with LACP aggr via wallports when it's done. I'm aiming for aiming for anything that as an ethernet port to utilise it. Then get Sky Q wifi off etc. Will have to account for STP issues with SkyQ and Sonos,

Soldato
I agree, but with the insulation and such, how much of an effect will that have in the loft etc.

I generally always set to low power on the 2.4Ghz, otherwise you get the shouting match effect.

Will have a look at that offering. re the Unifi 6 Extender.

There will be three 8 x Unifi switches (two to add) with LACP aggr via wallports when it's done. I'm aiming for aiming for anything that as an ethernet port to utilise it. Then get Sky Q wifi off etc. Will have to account for STP issues with SkyQ and Sonos,

2.4GHz will passthrough more things than 5GHz due to the lower frequency but if you are lots of 2.4GHz APs around you you'll start having issues with channel overlapping. Remember to only use 1-6-11 channels on 2.4GHz. If no one else around you and you only have 1 AP you can start upping power but just because the client as hear the AP doesnt mean the AP can hear the client. Think of someone 100M apart with a megaphone etc

Soldato
High chance I'll probably upgraded to the wired Ring Doorbell, agreed a bit of a small fortune.

I've been looking at the channel spread and what my neighbors devices are on. Very much a shame, I'm not out in the sticks with a 4 bed house, stables and nobody else...

Back
Top Bottom