Status of Phoenix Point?

Associate
Hi all,

XCOM has been one of my favorites games ever and the one of the very few games I still enjoy playing at my 40. is it worth it? I read mixed reviews because of many bugs..

Thx

Associate
I played it on game pass for the PC and had a few times where it froze in game, as if the ai was going to move but got stuck, also didn't find it much fun to play like xcom was, so ended up uninstalling it

Associate
There are plenty of bugs some more in your face than others.
There has been 1 patch that fixed 1 freeze bug and they are working on more stuff.

The bugs becomes more annoying as they stack up and you realise they are just compounding in a game that your already not finding much fun (as you stated).
There are also features missing that are still being advertised as part of the game which again compounds the bad felling further.

It was always going to be a harder game to play than the newer xcoms and had to be different to stand out.
The main difference being the aiming/cover system. Which is full of bugs.
It has a much smaller team and I assume budget compared to the firaxis offerings, I think they should have acknowledged that and released cheaper under early access for 12 months.

It has a much richer lore both in and out of game. They just don't do much to capitalise on that. A few lines of text and some random currency will not entertain for long.
The videos that are in game that explain the story are great and presented great.

There is the promise of a great game, it just is not there yet. It quickly becomes a repetitive, slow, slug fest.
The devs have just launched both a new bug feedback system and also started an email campaign to gather more info so its clear there are many issue to be addressed.

There are a number of DLCs announced but they just point towards content that was removed/not finished before release.

Soldato
The problem is that Xcom 2 has reached such a pinnacle, it's very very hard to play all these other ones because they're simply subpar in every way. Worst of all, they can't even make up for any of it with some originality or inventiveness. So just modding Xcom 2 differently is a way better experience for a new game than trying these new releases.

Soldato
Try xenonauts if you haven't already, it's much truer to the original, ok not far off a copy to be fair, but it's great. I didn't think much of the newer xcom games.

They are also making a second.

I had my eye on this phoenix point, but feedback isn't good, maybe one to get on a £10 deal in a few years.

Associate
OP
After the Cthulu update game has been hugely improved since initial release. My main complaint is at some point you keep fighting and becomes tedious

Permabanned
I didn't get on with this, oddly. May revisit one day.

Try xenonauts if you haven't already, it's much truer to the original, ok not far off a copy to be fair, but it's great. I didn't think much of the newer xcom games.

They are also making a second.

They sure are taking their sweet ass time with it.

Back
Top Bottom