In Theaters | On HBO Max | Exact Same Day )

Soldato
A good time to get a projector if you live in the usa :D
  • The Little Things
  • Judas and the Black Messiah
  • Tom & Jerry
  • Godzilla vs. Kong
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead
  • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
  • In the Heights
  • Space Jam: A New Legacy
  • The Suicide Squad
  • Reminiscence
  • Malignant
  • Dune
  • The Many Saints of Newark
  • King Richard
  • Cry Macho
  • Matrix 4

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm in two minds about this, I prefer watching most films in the comfort of my own home since I've bought a decent setup. Now and again though the cinema is a must for certain titles. If the streaming figures are through the roof for the likes of HBO and Disney, then I can't see cinemas lasting much longer.

Permabanned
I'm in two minds about this, I prefer watching most films in the comfort of my own home since I've bought a decent setup. Now and again though the cinema is a must for certain titles. If the streaming figures are through the roof for the likes of HBO and Disney, then I can't see cinemas lasting much longer.

Absolutely agree. Don't think it's so much a question of 'if' anymore though :/

Capodecina
Soldato
The days of the cinema are numbered anyway. The writing is on the wall and the big studios know this.

With big screens in the home becoming more and more a reality for many, and with the viral outbreak, 2021 will see fewer and fewer people go to the cinema. The cinema is too expensive, too many rubbish films, too many noisy people.

2020 was the final nail in the coffin. It's all downhill from here. I imagine by 2022 all the big chains will shut.

Soldato
Post Covid there will definitely be a place for Cinemas - like going to the Theatre, people love the big screen and the event of going to the cinema and that isn't going to change - old classics and big releases etc BFI or local independents type thing

Will we need 3 massive cinemas with 10 screens in every town? nope

Does releasing your film direct to streaming make sense? of course - the studios will make a ton of money this way

Soldato
Good. Sick of having to wait months for a home release of films just because I cant get to the cinema because of parenting duties, work, or short release window.
Sure it might have been nice to see some of these in the Cinema (like Dune) but honestly I can live without having to pay the ridiculous ticket prices, for crappy seats and general being around intolerable members of society.

Soldato
I'll still go to the cinema for Dune, the rest i'm not overly bothered about.

Massive piracy surge for new releases next year though.

Is HBOMAX being launched in the uk?

Soldato
I fail to see how a streaming only future pays for blockbusters, the billion dollar movies seem thus far to have relied on ticket sales and I struggle with seeing streaming meeting that shortfall. There are too many services and there is limit to how much people will pay for sofa entertainment.

Caporegime
I fail to see how a streaming only future pays for blockbusters, the billion dollar movies seem thus far to have relied on ticket sales and I struggle with seeing streaming meeting that shortfall. There are too many services and there is limit to how much people will pay for sofa entertainment.

But we don't have access to the data on how many people already pay for stream-based rentals, plus factor in the people who rarely go to the cinema due to price, and might end up watching more stuff if cheaper and easily available.

I mean, wasn't that the whole argument about piracy back in the day? "Let me consumer media the way I want to"

Soldato
I'll still go to the cinema if Cineworld does reopen to watch any new releases that warrant it , you know this is going to put a copy straight onto the high seas on release so they must have taken that into account on the losses.

Soldato
December 10 we will know the numbers for Mulan. That will be the real test to see if Cinemas are dead once and for all.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Good. Sick of having to wait months for a home release of films just because I cant get to the cinema because of parenting duties, work, or short release window.
Sure it might have been nice to see some of these in the Cinema (like Dune) but honestly I can live without having to pay the ridiculous ticket prices, for crappy seats and general being around intolerable members of society.

Pretty much this, used to love going to the cinema but the kids stopped that, the kids are older now I have my big screen experience (105 inch) nothing better watching a movie with the wife and my two Labradors.

Soldato
I mean, wasn't that the whole argument about piracy back in the day? "Let me consumer media the way I want to"

If you look at the most pirate downloaded movies weekly (there is a website which posts torrent related news and has a weekly top 10, I won't link it), quite often the ones most downloaded are easily available from Netflix and other streaming services. I think pirates are just always gonna pirate, regardless of how easy some media is available.

Man of Honour
I actually wrote on this forum back in the middle of lockdown 1.0, that one route I could see for the floundering Cinema industry might be to come up with a tv channel where new movies are streamed for a fee, so I'm not at all surprised to see this happening. I think this is really just the start, the Cinema industry is largely unchanged for decades, go to cinema, buy extortionate food, sit and watch film, go home...I think if cinema companies are to survive they are going to need to move with the times and the times, they are a-streaming.

Caporegime
If you look at the most pirate downloaded movies weekly (there is a website which posts torrent related news and has a weekly top 10, I won't link it), quite often the ones most downloaded are easily available from Netflix and other streaming services. I think pirates are just always gonna pirate, regardless of how easy some media is available.

Yeah, but I mean the pirates who would use "Let me consumer media the way I want to" as their reason for pirating, if that were true, then streaming should be fine, unless they charge £15 for a stream.

Soldato
The problem with home streaming is it will kill the film industry.. If you can have a steam online to watch a film legally. There will be an illegal copy within an hour.
If its a pay per view payment like a boxing match then a lot of people will be dishonest, however if the film is part of their current package, like Netflix films then people will come continue paying the subscription.

Only way I see it working is if one streaming service becomes a monopoly that we all pay for.

Back
Top Bottom