Advice on stuff

Associate
Okay so with a roughly 4k budget, I was looking at these as the basis for a new gaming pc:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5Ghz Turbo
Corsair H100i PRO XT
1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD
Asus ROG Strix X570-F Mboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600Mhz

And I need advice on whether 2 x Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB's would be better than a single GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming OC 24GB card, and why or why not.

Thanks.

Associate
People will need to know what you'll be doing with the PC (what programs/games etc) and what monitor/resolution you'll be using.

I doubt it's necessary to spend 4 grand though.

Associate
I think your 3950 could be changed to the new 5900 chip if you're interested in gaming, and you can't run x2 rtx 3080, sli is solely for the rtx 3090. 3090 is only at best 15% better then the 3080 at 4k gaming
I would stay clear of the 3090 unless you need the 24gb for work related tasks, or you have to have the best, but remember the 6900XT has yet to be released
Your aio you may want to go 360mm rather then 240mm. I've no experience with how hot the new chips are running or how hard you are planning to push your system.
Your ssd you will want them to be pci-e 4 to take advantage of the higher speeds
Ram is fine at 3600mhz
And the money you would have blown on getting a 2nd 3080 or 3090 you can use to get a high refresh 1440p, or ultrawide monitor/tv/display

Associate
OP
Okay, having read and taken some advice from others on here, here is what I'm looking at for my new PC gaming rig, I'd welcome advice, suggestions and improvements here.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 12-Core 3.70GHz, 4.8GHz Turbo

GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP

SI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2

1TB Seagate Firecuda 520 M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - 5000MB/s Read & 4400MB/s Write

32GB DDR4/4000mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)

6TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 5400RPM Hard Drive

Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro XT RGB High Performance Liquid Cooling System w/ 360mm Radiator

Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

Hit me with what you all think and how I can improve any, this rig is going to be primarily for gaming with some graphic design and rendering work, and I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of it before I need to look at upgrading/replacing it again.
I'll likely be using a 27" ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQ 1ms 165Hz WQHD 1440p Monitor with this too.

Soldato
SI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2

1TB Seagate Firecuda 520 M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - 5000MB/s Read & 4400MB/s Write

32GB DDR4/4000mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)

6TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 5400RPM Hard Drive

Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro XT RGB High Performance Liquid Cooling System w/ 360mm Radiator

Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

Hit me with what you all think and how I can improve any, this rig is going to be primarily for gaming with some graphic design and rendering work, and I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of it before I need to look at upgrading/replacing it again.
I'll likely be using a 27" ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQ 1ms 165Hz WQHD 1440p Monitor with this too.
For that price only good boards are B550 boards.
And first good X570 board is Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Whole lower half of MSI X570 range has crap CPU VRM for the money.
X570 Tomahawk is the only exception to that.
(Asus X570 boards again have chipset cooler from anus of marketroids with major risks for long term reliability)

For that budget you should be going for 2TB SSD space, period!
Very few games benefit any from NVME over SATA SSD and any full speed PCIe v3 drive has huge amount on unutilized capability.
While SSD space you don't have has at most negative speed.

Remember that big games are 100+ GBs.
Also there should be SSD space for those work uses.
And what you have there after OS and leaving empty space for drive to operate at high eprformance and without additional wear etc is 850 GBs of room.
(common recommendation is leaving 10% of drive's capacity free)

And unless you want to manually do memory settings in BIOS forget that memory.
Would need golden sample CPU to get InfinityFabric bus up to 2000MHz to keep it synced with memory.
Dual rank memory kit of fast latency 3600MHz would be surest "XMP fire and forget" solution:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html

And if purpose is that highest freedom from maintenance and reliability, waterpipe coolers aren't exactly hot on that with many degradation/wear mechanisms.
Despite of very high prices only few waterpipe coolers are even better in continuous cooling per noise than the best heatpipe coolers.
And with lot more honest than Intel TDPs, absolute top coolers aren't even needed for Ryzens.

And low end sound card in super expensive PC?
If you're using speakers there's little benefit from any separate sound card over motherboard's integrated one, unless integrated is EMI magnet.
Again for headphones gaming separate sound cards offer good extra features.
(and with good headphones crushing stereo speaker sets in immersion)
But that low end card doesn't even any better headphone amplifier to justify its buying for that.

Soldato
For the cooler go for the Dark Rock Pro or the Noctua DH 14 or 15 as this will be quieter and there will be one less component to fail.

NVME drives will make the build look cleaner.

Take a hard look at the RX6900 when it appears.

Permabanned
I would go for a boot/OS SSD of say 256GB and a game SSD of 2TB. If you think you need more then you can get an HDD but 6TB is relatively expensive if you don't need it. Also if I was buying a new PSU I would say the new standard for a performance machine is 850W not 750W. I mean it's not necessary but no one ever thought that 750W would be necessary.

Permabanned
Zero sense to waste limited M.2 slots for pipsqueek drive.
Partitioning is for keeping OS separate from rest in case of needing to do fresh install.

The advantages are you can move the game drive to another PC without having to download all the games again, and if anything does happen to the system drive you haven't lost all the games. In addition to that it allows you to use a more expensive drive for the boot drive and a cheaper one for games, and also there is zero chance of a complete loss of data if the partitions become corrupted. So there is lots of sense to use two drives. Course it's up to you which you prefer to do but personally I do believe in the old saying that you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket!

Soldato
In addition to that it allows you to use a more expensive drive for the boot drive and a cheaper one for games
Windows is the worst excuse for tiny buttrape&robbery per GB priced drive.
There's only little Windows loading time difference between SATA and fastest NVMe, including PCIe v4 NVMe!
https://youtu.be/V3AMz-xZ2VM?t=15
https://youtu.be/4YoRKQy-UO4?t=17
Even whole Windows installing time difference isn't dramatic between NVMe and SATA:
https://youtu.be/ER3A4S9HrsQ?t=210

That high price won't even give any high write endurance for browser etc cache/log/temp files to chew on.

Back
Top Bottom