• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is up with the zotac cards

Associate
I see they have the zotac 3090 in stick and they aren’t selling why?
They're listed at scalper prices, way above RRP. The FE is coming back into stock occasionally for £1399, and even when they're not, you can get one on ebay for around £1500. So £1700 for a Zotac from a major retailer feels like a bitter pill to swallow, especially when they're supposed to be a fair bit less according to Nvidia.

Associate
Nobody likes it but people need to stop taking how businesses choose to price things so personally.
It doesn't feel right for a major retailer to list above RRP, just to take advantage of demand. Can you imagine the outcry if Argos had sold its PS5s for £800, because they could? Or if Asda had ramped the price of bog roll during the panic buying?

Soldato
It doesn't feel right for a major retailer to list above RRP, just to take advantage of demand. Can you imagine the outcry if Argos had sold its PS5s for £800, because they could? Or if Asda had ramped the price of bog roll during the panic buying?

Yeah it's profiteering.

Soldato
Is it profiteering, when it's a luxury product you don't need?

Not trying to stir the pot but we need some perspective on this, the prices are what they are as people are apparently happy to bend over

Profiteering doesn't have to be on essential goods

Soldato

There’s a big difference between a luxury entertainment item like a PS5 and a daily household necessity such as bog roll.

Soldato
Event tickets for instance. At least two people have been jailed for it, that I know of to date.

If it's the case I am thinking of, they weren't charged with profiteering

He sentenced Hunter and Smith on four counts: fraudulent trading by knowingly enabling BZZ Limited to purchase event tickets for resale and/or fraudulently reducing the number of event tickets available for consumers to purchase at face value. Count 2: Possession or control of an article for use in fraud, including the use of bots and debit/credit card payments held in the names of people other than BZZ Limited.

Count 3: Fraudulent trading, namely by offering for resale tickets which were at risk of being refused entry and/or falsely representing that said event tickets offered for resale were valid. Count 4: Fraudulent trading, by listing and offering event tickets on secondary ticket websites that they did not own, and/or falsely representing that BZZ Limited did own the said event tickets (spec selling).

Soldato
I don't see a problem with charging £1700 to be honest. It keeps the product in stock for rich people to easily purchase without joining a long queue. I doubt somebody like lord sugar would mind paying a few hundred pounds extra for a product he can have next day.

It's a luxury item after all. People aren't scalping bread and milk.

Soldato
Yet scalping event tickets will land you in some serious hot water with the law. Are those not luxuries too? :confused:

Because new laws were introduced in 2018 to stop event scalping and scalping bots. Charging over the RRP for consumer electronics isn’t illegal.

If anything, manufacturers should be brought to task over creating artificial scarcities to bump up prices.

Soldato
Because new laws were introduced in 2018 to stop event scalping and scalping bots. Charging over the RRP for consumer electronics isn’t illegal.

If anything, manufacturers should be brought to task over creating artificial scarcities to bump up prices.

AMD are buying 40,000 a month (circa $400,000,000) of wafers from TSMC and are its largest single customer. They are selling everything they can make. Same with Nvidia and Samsung (with its 8nm DUV), and likely its new 7nm EUV next year. So not artificial scracity - actual supply cannot meet the real world demand.

Soldato
I don't see a problem with charging £1700 to be honest. It keeps the product in stock for rich people to easily purchase without joining a long queue. I doubt somebody like lord sugar would mind paying a few hundred pounds extra for a product he can have next day.

At first I thought you weren't serious but now thin
kk

Yikes

Soldato

Back in April, yes they were scalping milk and bread - toilet rolls at £1 each, bread at £5 a loaf , milk at £5 for 6 pints.

Back
Top Bottom