• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices in the UK

Associate
Yeah I bought my 3070 from here, kinda rush job and generally always recommended OCUK for builds / forum advice...

But looking around, I got ripped off haha... my bad really should have waited and shopped around.

No biggie though, shall be using other sites in future.

Soldato
I decided to check 3070 pricing as havent done and seeing prices higher than what the 3080 launched at, its got out of hand. I agree with hardware unboxed, this is ultimately falling on amd and nvidia, if they wanted to they could put this to bed. But its not in their financial interest to.

Associate
This is about normal for the many products. There are some manufacturers though that break with the norm and follow roughly the exchange rate but most don't. I once heard that the reason for this is that the UK is an island ( or two ), and as such it's a captive market, meaning you can pretty much charge what you like because the Brits can't just hop in a car and drive to another country where it might be cheaper.

OK the situation will change in just over a month but until then a Brit could quite easily order the same item with the same warranty from anywhere else in the EU with maybe a day or two's delay in delivery. Obviously if you went further afield (importing from the US or far east for instance) then it presented greater trade-offs to be made (warranty coverage, consumer rights, import duty etc). We've only been a 'captive' market largely because we've tolerated it and accepted the largely nonsensical reasons as to why the UK-supplied product was dearer.

Associate
How come the 2080ti's are still £1500 in the OC shop - surely they've got absolutely no chance shifting these at this price.

Aware they'll have money tied up in these from original stock purchase, but surely as time goes on, especially once 3080 / 6800 stock improves the chances of shifting these will decrease even further.

Soldato
How come the 2080ti's are still £1500 in the OC shop - surely they've got absolutely no chance shifting these at this price.

Aware they'll have money tied up in these from original stock purchase, but surely as time goes on, especially once 3080 / 6800 stock improves the chances of shifting these will decrease even further.

Because they running a business and wanna milk you for every penny possible. They aren't your friends.

Soldato

They only have six units of a single model in stock. I doubt they're worried about whether they shift them or not, given that sort of money is a drop in the ocean for them. This way they might get some loony come along who really wants that specific card and will just pay the £1500 for it.

Soldato

You could buy a 2080S for 900 quid as well, but only one in stock, I wonder who that lucky punter will be? LOOL.

Soldato

They'll sell them off eventually when they're no longer shifting but as you say they have money tied up in them... and theres effectively nothing else in stock currently. And judging by the low post count on accounts on the "wheres my 3080 got to?" threads most buyers are casuals/not forum regulars.

Associate
They'll sell them off eventually when they're no longer shifting but as you say they have money tied up in them... and theres effectively nothing else in stock currently. And judging by the low post count on accounts on the "wheres my 3080 got to?" threads most buyers are casuals/not forum regulars.

Yup, suppose not everyone is as clued up on GPU progress as the majority of PC enthusiasts, maybe somebody a bit behind the curve might see 2080ti and think woohoo!

Back
Top Bottom