US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
The Burn was caused by... Burnham and the time travelling shenanigans. Deep down...she knows...

(I have no idea, just making it up!)

As soon as they mentioned the burn this is what I thought. Her sending the suit to "explode" into the future. My god if that's the case this would be the most predictable storyline I've ever come across.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
As soon as they mentioned the burn this is what I thought. Her sending the suit to "explode" into the future. My god if that's the case this would be the most predictable storyline I've ever come across.

The fact that it's called The Burn is just too much of a coincidence, it's like the writers are trying too hard to be clever, which is why I don't seriously believe it is the case.

On another point, I suppose though that Star Trek TOS dealt with current issues (racism, cold war, equality etc) by addressing them head on - a Russian crew member, the first interracial kiss on TV etc. Discovery is simply following that trend and dealing with current issues in its own way. TNG did it too, particularly with episodes like The Outcast.

Caporegime
This latest episode was pretty bad...

• [*]Empress Donnie Yen continues to have the most laughably bad script, and the least convincing delivery of lines, within the entire show. She is so bad in this every time she opens her mouth it almost hurts to watch her scenes.
    [*]Tilly talks like a teenager even in supposedly 'serious' moments where the Captain is trying to exert his authority.
    [*]The "I prefer to be called The" scene was just stupid. She could simply have said it very normally and politely but of course they made it as though it was a 'traumatic' moment for her.
    [*]Book's small ship can apparently overwhelm a large cruiser that is armed and shielded to the teeth?
    [*]Sanctuary, a place with advanced tech and animal-speaking empaths, has 'tried for 100 years' to get rid of the "sea locusts" and then Burnham figures it out in 2 minutes?
I hope the next episode improves to at least mediocre standards.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Shockingly bad, just shockingly bad, the actors themselves are not that bad but the writing is horrendous, I thought Picard was bad but this episode is trash, one of the worst Trek episodes in the history of Star Trek.

/avoid.

Soldato

You have to be one of the most negative people I've ever seen, all you do is bitch and moan about how you dislike everything. So, rather than watching a show you don't like and then whining about it on the internet, will you be taking your own advice and avoiding it?

Caporegime
You have to be one of the most negative people I've ever seen, all you do is bitch and moan about how you dislike everything. So, rather than watching a show you don't like and then whining about it on the internet, will you be taking your own advice and avoiding it?
And you whine like a child whenever someone posts a negative opinion, either in this thread or the Mandalorian thread. Learning to accept criticism of things you like is part of being a grown adult and you can either choose to ignore said criticism or respond to it intelligently. Or just start to use the ignore list so that you don't see the posts. Responding to every post like they have somehow hurts your personal feelings and like you need to defend the honour of the show is just really, really lame.

Associate
I like Star Trek...

I like Star Wars...

So far, STD had a weak start but improved after season 1 (IMHO), Mandalorian has just been entertaining from the beginning.

I know its not the Star Trek/Wars I remember from my childhood, and I'm ok with that as I know its not really aimed at the Hardcore fans of the franchise's. Its aimed at a completely different generation of much younger viewers.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm happy to listen. I'm still going to watch regardless.

SPG

SPG

Soldato

Diddums for you, last time I check I can call out anything that I think is crap TV without having to worry about consequences apart from butt hurt people on the internet, which are ten a penny. Star Trek deserves to be better than this, and its the only reason I watch it.

It`s a sorry state of affairs if the writers think the target audience are young and dumb enough to suck the bile this show really is, the writing and storyline is atrocious, given 6months in a wood cabin in the middle of nowhere with no distractions apart from me and my dog I could come with better.

Soldato
It`s a sorry state of affairs if the writers think the target audience are young and dumb enough to suck the bile this show really is, the writing and storyline is atrocious, given 6months in a wood cabin in the middle of nowhere with no distractions apart from me and my dog I could come with better.

I don't believe that for a second. It shouldn't take anywhere near that long. A series outline written on the back of a napkin over a coffee would be better than Kurtzman Trek.

Soldato
true, that last episode I just couldn't care less about what the mission actually was. Tilly is now supposed to be number one, yet she floats around like the captains PA. Burnham gets demoted and punished yet she still controls the entire thing as if everything revolves around her.

Soldato
I actually fell asleep 3 times watching the latest episode - :(

And the "call me they" comment - cringe and I lost interest.

I know this isn't the right place for a discuss on pronouns, but I never understood it when she referred to themselves as a 'they', surely they is plural and instead it should be 'it'

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I know this isn't the right place for a discuss on pronouns, but I never understood it when she referred to themselves as a 'they', surely they is plural and instead it should be 'it'

'It' is indeed singular. But Adira Tal is clearly not one person in any traditional sense - they have the Tal symbiont's memories and past host memories rattling around in their head after all, they were seeing a previous host and having conversations with them, they have skills that Adira never had (playing the cello, for one)...

As I noted in the other thread, it's amazing that any Trill was ever free of gender issues or even particularly well-adjusted at all in this universe.

Caporegime
Worst episode so far.

Wood elves
Nonsense
Photon torpedos
Space locusts
Filler
Get some prosphetic antenna feelers made u silly Andorean.

I had to watch this again last night as my friend came round and hadn't seen it... it was a lot funnier this time as I knew how ridiculous it would be. Books brother's HEAVY hispanic accent is just hilarious, and the fact they are both meant to be siblings, despite clearly having zero genetic or racial similarities, is comedy gold. Plus, the guy was a pretty bad actor.

Burnham solving the locust problem, despite this planet of animal-speaking empaths trying for "100 years", also had my friend in stitches. :D

Diddums for you, last time I check I can call out anything that I think is crap TV without having to worry about consequences apart from butt hurt people on the internet, which are ten a penny. Star Trek deserves to be better than this, and its the only reason I watch it.

Well said that man! It's amazing how these threads are so full of people with teenage levels of maturity who can't handle constructive criticism of a show they like.

Back
Top Bottom