LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
I've just spotted that the Prime app updated a few days ago... can somebody confirm that they able to view UHD content through the installed app and what version of the app they have on the TV?

Thanks

I've been able to watch UHD content on the Prime app no problems since I got the TV a month or two ago.

Soldato
Not sure what version it is but I did install an update a few days ago. I can play UHD content in HDR on mine.
It's baffling here to be honest - just managed to get Good Omens playing in UHD. Stopped it and 5 minutes later it wont play in UHD and the 'UHD' logo has disappeared even though I select continue watching from the UHD version. It's as if Prime know I'm trying to watch UHD and blocks it :(. Only Prime is the issue Netflix network measure and speedtest show ~54mbps so network is fine.

Soldato
I'm using the following settings on mine. Won't go into the whites etc as that really needs fine tuning if you want to play around, but below is my settings for HDR, Dolby Vision and normal SD/HD etc.

HDR Picture Mode: FILMMAKER MODE (user)

Picture Mode Settings:

OLED LIGHT: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 50

Advanced Controls:

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Tone Mapping: On
Super Resolution: Off
Colour Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

Picture Options:

Peak Brightness: High
Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Black Level: Auto
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: Cinema clear

Energy Saving: Off

Additional Settings:

Eye Comfort Mode - off

Dolby Vision mode: Cinema home (user)

OLED LIGHT: 100
Contrast: 100
Tint 0

Advanced Controls:

Gamma: 2.2
Peak Brightness: High

Picture Options:

Under General tab - AI Service

Ai Brightness Contol: On (turns on dolby vision IQ)

Expert (Dark room) - Just for normal tv HD content etc

Picture Mode Settings:

OLED LIGHT: 70
Contrast: 85
Tint: 0

Advanced Controls:

Gamma: BT.1886 (brighter use 1.9 or 2.2)
Peak Brightness: Off

Picture Options:

Then in the secret menu (highlight the picture option and press 1113111):

Colorimetry: BT2020

Associate
It's baffling here to be honest - just managed to get Good Omens playing in UHD. Stopped it and 5 minutes later it wont play in UHD and the 'UHD' logo has disappeared even though I select continue watching from the UHD version. It's as if Prime know I'm trying to watch UHD and blocks it :(. Only Prime is the issue Netflix network measure and speedtest show ~54mbps so network is fine.

Have you tried leaving it running for a few mins to see if the quality improves? Mine is near enough instant but that is due to having gigabit internet.

Soldato
The Prime app on the TV won't play UHD content for me - I select content marked as UHD, then the UHD symbol isn't shown in the content info screen and it only plays in HD. It was working a week or so ago though as I watched 1917 and it was glorious!

Can you just search - HDR

Then select 1917 and Jumanji that will come up first, just to make sure that it isn't reverting. Both should be in HDR.

Soldato
After a few more days with the TV I'm much happier with it than my last post.

Xbox is still stunning and blows me away constantly.

We started watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix last night and oddly it looks really good, even though we only have the SD netflix plan. Oh yeah, forgot to say, I thought we could at least play 1080p content on Netflix but turns out our basic plan only plays SD!! No wonder I thought the quality wasn't that great on other programmes.

Had a weird moment last night where the mute icon wouldn't go away, even though we use optical out only for audio. The pointer wouldn't work, it just kept flicking on and off but wouldn't move, the TV basic froze and I could barely do anything for about 60 seconds before it eventually came back to life.

How do you get Prime to play in UHD? Anything I select labelled as UHD just offers the HD version. It had worked briefly when I started watching the Expanse, now I can't get any UHD content on Prime. Netflix on the other hand appears to be fine.

To be honest I have no idea if it is playing in UHD or how to even check it, but the picture quality looks very good so I assumed it was.

Edit: Just upgraded to the HD plan on netflix and the film I tested the other day looks so much better now. Is the 4k plan worth it? Not sure how much 4k content there is on there.

Last edited:
Soldato
It pops up in the right hand corner when it is HDR (mostly Amazon content) or Dolby Vision which Netflix and Disney+ use more.

4k plan is definitely worth it on Netflix. Pretty much every new release is now Dolby Vision and already has so much content.

No point splashing out on a mega TV and not using it to the full.

Check my settings above also on how to get dolby vision iq working.

Soldato
Edit: Just upgraded to the HD plan on netflix and the film I tested the other day looks so much better now. Is the 4k plan worth it? Not sure how much 4k content there is on there.
There’s tons, it’d be criminal not to upgrade for the sake of a few quid with a TV like that :)
It’s not just about the 4K, but the fact you get HDR/Dolby Vision too

Caporegime
Hey guys, does anyone else's CX TV pop up the home screen menu when starting a connected PC? Not sure if it's something to do with my smart remote, but it hides the PC taskbar until it disappears.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hey guys, does anyone else's CX TV pop up the home screen menu when starting a connected PC? Not sure if it's something to do with my smart remote, but it hides the PC taskbar until it disappears.

Thanks.

You can turn that off so it doesn't pop up, I can't remember where abouts it is in the settings now, I think its under settings-general I think.

Soldato
Am I correct in saying the only way of getting ATMOS sound from PLEX is via a NVIDIA Shield TV e.g. the native PLEX app on the LG CX won’t pass through to the Sonos ARC?

(also posted in Sonos thread)

Soldato
So as a final test I rented Jason Bourne 4K UHD. Played it and 1080P HDR was in the status bar occasionally, mostly just HD. So certainly not 4K. This was streamed via a firestick as the CX app doesn't show the resolution. Netflix in the same stick streams UHD and Netflix network test show 55mbps. I give up with Prime.

Soldato
I think yesterday was the first time I've actually noticed a 4k UHD label on Amazon Prime. Looking for a movie and saw 2 separate versions. Hit play and lo and behold - got an HDR popup on the TV overlay. That's never happened while watching Prime, but then we mostly use it for TV series like Futurama and Bob's Burgers which won't be 4k or HDR.

Soldato
Am I correct in saying the only way of getting ATMOS sound from PLEX is via a NVIDIA Shield TV e.g. the native PLEX app on the LG CX won’t pass through to the Sonos ARC?

(also posted in Sonos thread)

If you want Dolby Atmos (True HD) then yes. What I use to play all my rips.

Soldato
So as a final test I rented Jason Bourne 4K UHD. Played it and 1080P HDR was in the status bar occasionally, mostly just HD. So certainly not 4K. This was streamed via a firestick as the CX app doesn't show the resolution. Netflix in the same stick streams UHD and Netflix network test show 55mbps. I give up with Prime.

Have you made sure the firestick resolution is definitely set correctly and that ultra deep hd colour is definitely switched on for the port you have it in. Seen a few articles of both these settings resetting themselves to defaults.

Soldato
So how did you wire it up, HDMI from Shield TV and then EARC into Receiver (in my case SONOS ARC)?

Yeah, I have same setup as you.

Sonos arc into the earc port, then I have my shield pro in hdmi port 3.

In additional settings within sound. Just need to make sure you set 'digital sound out' to 'passthrough'.

Back
Top Bottom