• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x WHEA Logger Errors

Associate
Can anyone with a new Ryzen CPU please check their system log and report back if you are seeing any WHEA Logger Errors.

Specifically:
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Think the error ids are 18 and 19.

I was getting loads of them 20x a day. I'm running 64 GB of Corsair LPX 3600. I had to lower frequency in bios to 3200 which has stopped them from occouring. However I since had the pc restart/crash and could see another WHEA Logger error was the cause.

Iv scanned the net and it seems this could be a bios issue or a bad cpu. Fortunately I have 2 5950x systems and both exhibit the same issue so leaning toward bios.

Would like to know how how far spread the issue is. You may be getting the errors and not even know it.

System:
Asus x570i Mobo
5950x
3600 LPX Corsair Mem
corsair sf750
gtx 1080

Im on the latest asus beta bios.

Also my bios dosent recognise chassis 2 fan so runs at constant 100% (I can adjust it using software in Windows tho) Anyone else seeing this also? All my fans are pwm.

Associate
Sorry that this isn’t much help although my 5900x is due to arrive very shortly and I’ve been reading of fairly widespread issues with the Asus bioses...particularly for the X570 Crosshair Hero I’d picked. I’ve also noticed many reports of WHEA errors.

I’m really hoping there’s something stable in the pipeline as I’m less than happy with much I’m reading at the moment. Hopefully others with chips in hand can comment more.

Associate
Can anyone with a new Ryzen CPU please check their system log and report back if you are seeing any WHEA Logger Errors.

Specifically:

Think the error ids are 18 and 19.

I was getting loads of them 20x a day. I'm running 64 GB of Corsair LPX 3600. I had to lower frequency in bios to 3200 which has stopped them from occouring. However I since had the pc restart/crash and could see another WHEA Logger error was the cause.

Iv scanned the net and it seems this could be a bios issue or a bad cpu. Fortunately I have 2 5950x systems and both exhibit the same issue so leaning toward bios.

Would like to know how how far spread the issue is. You may be getting the errors and not even know it.

System:
Asus x570i Mobo
5950x
3600 LPX Corsair Mem
corsair sf750
gtx 1080

Im on the latest asus beta bios.

Also my bios dosent recognise chassis 2 fan so runs at constant 100% (I can adjust it using software in Windows tho) Anyone else seeing this also? All my fans are pwm.

Hi Tripkebab

Yes it’s most likely a bios issue and is very common on a lot of forums - I also had the exact same behavior on my 5950x setup. Reverting to the latest non beta bios solved it but now I am back on the latest beta bios again by just adjusting some of the voltages in the bios:

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Rock solid for days now in all kinds of workloads.

It is expected that the next bigger AMD AGESA will solve the problems after which we should be able to revert bios voltages back to auto again.

For now just adjust the voltages as above and it will probably solve your issues

cheers

C

Associate
Those with Gigabyte boards getting WHEA errors (CPU interconnect mainly) check the Motherboard page. Iv just got the new F11n for my B550 Pro and it seems to have solved the problems (so far so good - with f11i it was instant WHEA errors)

So worth checking that out.

Associate
I've had these sporadically along with sudden black screen rebooting without warning, mostly when idling (5950x / x570 Tomahawk / 16GB @ 3200CL14). I've found to get rid of them I upped the voltage on my RAM to 1.37V and set manually VDDG IOD and CCD to 900V, SoC to 1.1.

Some have also mentioned disabling C-States but I've not had to do this yet.

Associate
I had all sorts of blue screen issues on Sunday with my 5900x, I reset the Bios and this sorted it out. It was all to do with voltages when the machine wasn't at full load.

After panicking for about an hour I remembered I'd set auto OC in Ryzen master. This was a bad idea.

Since this I have added +200 to my boost via the Bios settings and the machine seems fine and is boosting up to 4950mhz. I would like to hit 5ghz eventually but need time to learn about boost curves details seem a little thin on the ground.

Associate
When you guys were having issues, did you see any ID 7 errors in your windows system logs? Keen to know if others have seen 'bad block' errors show up, yet when they run chkdsk, sfc scans as well as check SMART data, all seem normal.

Associate
Processor APIC ID: 2​

Ryzen 5950X
MSI B550 Tomahawk
2x32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-28800 (3600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 18-22-22-42, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
(RTX 3070)
Latest beta bios. Windows 10 Pro (20H2, 19042.685). Latest drivers for everything AFAIK.

Happened a couple of times since it first powered up on boxing day. The first was during or shortly after installing software, so some corrupt files led me to the write caching setting of the SSD, and finding that its default was ON. :(

Not overclocked. Just enabled the profile to run the memory at 3600.

Associate
I had 2 BSOD with the whea error 18 code when I had my 5800x on eco mode and ram over locked to 3600. Have put both back to stock and hasn't happened again so far, just be a bios issue.

Both happened when playing cyberpunk, once after about a 3 hour session and then I booted it up and got another BSOD within 30 mins.

Associate
Asrock X570 Taichi 5950X no WHEA errors logged no crashes.
Which suggests those affected are having bios issues?

Associate
Same issue.

Got my new CPU just before Christmas but i fear its faulty (Reading on other forums , people have been RMA the CPU which seems to have resolved the issue)

X570 Aorus Elite F31 bios (released yesterday) tried F30 also
5800x
2x16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black (3600) CAS 18-22-22-42 1.35V
Palit GTX 1070TI (hopefully will upgrade to a 6800xt when i can actually buy one)
Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 plus
SB AE-5
Corsair H105 AIO
SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
Corsair Obsidian 450D High Airflow Mid-Tower Case

Getting Random black screen reboots (at least 6 times in days , its very random), usually under light loads (browsing etc) and in games.This is with stock bios setting (load optimized defaults) and with XMP disabled (does not make any difference).Checking Event Viewer will show the whe 18 ,bus interconnect error (does not always report this on every reboot).

The only way i am stable is a manual all core overclock to 4.5 @1.272 which is 100% stable with XMP on.Tested with cinebench (ran for two hours and gaming all day etc)

Temps are fine with my Corsair H105

I would have thought it should be stable with stock bios settings.I upgraded from a nice and stable 4770k so this is a bit of a let down.Not sure if i should RMA the CPU or wait for a Miracle bios fix?

Last edited:
Associate
The only way i am stable is a manual all core overclock to 4.5 @1.272 which is 100% stable with XMP on.Tested with cinebench (ran for two hours and gaming all day etc)

If you can run this stable then it would suggest the CPU is fine and is a bios issue, if the cpu was faulty it wouldn't be stable at this either. the cpu's seem to have issue running at idle or C state. lot of people find turning off C states cures it for lots of people.

Associate
Tried turning of the c-state did not help , i spent way to much time trying different bios options over Christmas , on the bright side i have learnt a lot regarding these new AMD CPU's:).Last AMD CPU i had was the FX chip i think Circa 2010.

Associate
Also when i initially set up everything with stock bios settings , and ran cinebench for 2 hours it was stable (with XMP on) its only when i started to do light tasks like browsing and some gaming i started to see the instability.Even starting steam caused it to black screen and reboot! Another fix that worked was to disable PBO which is not ideal.

Associate
Also when i initially set up everything with stock bios settings , and ran cinebench for 2 hours it was stable (with XMP on) its only when i started to do light tasks like browsing and some gaming i started to see the instability.Even starting steam caused it to black screen and reboot! Another fix that worked was to disable PBO which is not ideal.
\
They normally happen when cpu is at low rate then asked to perform a task, like from idle to load it will crash, cpu increases speed but voltage don't jump up quick enough to sustain the speed increase. its bios issues

Associate
I'm getting a lot of WHEA Logger Errors on my system too:

5950x
MSI MAG Tommahawk x570 MoBo
Patriot Steel 4133Mhz Ram

Hoping it's a Bios fix that's needed, not a duff CPU !!

My system seems to be stable at the moment, getting around 27xxx (first run hit's 28xxx but over time it heats up and performance throttles back a touch) in CineBench R23, playing CyberPunk, Doom Eternal, P3d etc fine currently.

I did experience some issues a couple of days ago underload with PBO enabled: Bluescreens, Freezes, then wouldn't reboot until the Bios was reset. This I've tracked down to some duff RAM, did have 2 8GB kit's installed, having removed
one set the problem went away, swapped them over, problem came back. But I still have the WHEA errors in the System log, but currently running ok with those coming up and only 16GB of RAM installed, PBO enabled and the memory/IF clocked to 1900MHz

Curious if the WHEA error's are impacting performance at all? Hard to tell as CineBench seems to be the only things that maxes out the CPU

I'm also curious if the ram is in a bit of a bad spot fight next to the CPU as the cooler (i'm using an air cooler) completely covers it, not convinced it has good airflow in this instance for cooling...

Cheers,

m

Associate
Have been having the same WHEA random reboot issues. System is a 5950x coupled with a ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact (3003 bios). Only happens on idle and very random as it could be fine for days and then it happens a couple of times within a few hours.

Noticed ASUS release a 3101 beta bios so tried that but unfortunately it won't boot my machine with DOCP enabled. If I set memory to Auto (running at 2133) the system boots and I'm going to see if that is stable. My memory is on the QVL for the board and was working fine for months with my 3950x before I upgraded (Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16).

This never happens under heavy load, in games or running video encoding, only on idle and based on the other threads might be due to one of cores spinning up from idle and not getting enough voltage which hopefully a BIOS update will fix as very frustrating.

TomDD

Associate
I've been getting daily freezes and black screens with the same WHEA errors, generally happens when Idle or downloading through steam.
Running a 5800x on an X570 Tomahawk (latest beta bios).
Disabled c-state this morning and has been stable so far.

Back
Top Bottom