• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3060Ti

Soldato
My FE turned up Friday 4th Dec. Lovely built card really heavy first time I think the reference cooler looks better then AIB's.
Time Spy score 12437 beating my 2080ti and boosting to 2100mhz whilst maxing at 70c (about 50-55c in games)

Sold my 5700xt for more than the FE and it sold in minutes.

Man of Honour
My FE turned up Friday 4th Dec. Lovely built card really heavy first time I think the reference cooler looks better then AIB's.
Time Spy score 12437 beating my 2080ti and boosting to 2100mhz whilst maxing at 70c (about 50-55c in games)

Sold my 5700xt for more than the FE and it sold in minutes.
How loud is the FE card at idle and load, like a typical reference blower card?

Soldato
Idle is 0% fan so silent... benchmarking I cannot hear the card at all either... silence! Very very impressed, too the point I don't think I'll look at aib cards again!

I was thinking the same before, the quality of the components and overall build quality is far better than any of the partner cards I've previously owned and these are the cheapest of the bunch as well :)

Associate
Idle is 0% fan so silent... benchmarking I cannot hear the card at all either... silence! Very very impressed, too the point I don't think I'll look at aib cards again!

Same here, I can't hear it in benchmarks and games at all, even with open case door. Yes, fans spin, I've seen even 1600RPM+ but that's still quieter than my silent case fans are. And that is with power limit increased to max possible (+10%) and automatic OC from GeForce Experience, that increased RAM and GPU clocks (+118MHz in my case on GPU!). Even in touch it's never hot, as the cooler is identical to 3070, hence bigger than needed for this GPU, really.
The only downside is that if I unlock FPS in older games and it goes really high (200+), one can hear coil whine. Though, gladly my case takes care of high noise like that (good noise insulation), unless I open case door. And I play with g-sync, with fps limit of 144Hz (vsync).

Associate
I was thinking the same before, the quality of the components and overall build quality is far better than any of the partner cards I've previously owned and these are the cheapest of the bunch as well :)

Agreed, I had Aourus 1080Ti card and other high shelf models before, but none ever came close to this build quality - aside maybe liquid Vega 64 (I was one of the first people who got it from OcUK back in the days). Really happy with this FE edition - silence, quality of build and even speed in 1440p.

Associate
It's a price point and quality that's impossible for AIB's to match.
If the FE's ever become available with good stock levels it's because Nvidia want to completely ditch AIB partners.
Even right now they are very unhappy because the MSRP set by Nvidia is well below what a good quality card can be build for.

Associate
Same here, I can't hear it in benchmarks and games at all, even with open case door. Yes, fans spin, I've seen even 1600RPM+ but that's still quieter than my silent case fans are. And that is with power limit increased to max possible (+10%) and automatic OC from GeForce Experience, that increased RAM and GPU clocks (+118MHz in my case on GPU!). Even in touch it's never hot, as the cooler is identical to 3070, hence bigger than needed for this GPU, really.
The only downside is that if I unlock FPS in older games and it goes really high (200+), one can hear coil whine. Though, gladly my case takes care of high noise like that (good noise insulation), unless I open case door. And I play with g-sync, with fps limit of 144Hz (vsync).

It is indeed excellent, I'm so impressed so far with build quality/performance etc. Try touching the backplate on the left hand side after it's been under load, it will be hot :)

Soldato
How loud is the FE card at idle and load, like a typical reference blower card?

I've not actually heard what it sounds like.

So I took it to 100% in Afterburner and it was loud but not as loud as my two front case fans at 100%.
60% is same noise as my case fans which are both on 40%
50% and I can not hear it
PC case is to right down in its own open front slot in my desk.

Currently 36c idle and fans are 0%

Soldato
It is indeed excellent, I'm so impressed so far with build quality/performance etc. Try touching the backplate on the left hand side after it's been under load, it will be hot :)
With the 3080 FE the entire card gets quite hot, including the silver frame. I assume it's the same with the 3070 FE, since it's also completely metal. It's like the entire thing is one big heatsink, without some silly plastic shroud doing nothing except harming airflow. I had mixed feelings about the design when I first saw it, but I really like it now. I'd wager the downside is it being really expensive to manufacture. The weight alone tells you how much more metal the FEs use than almost all AIB models, especially relative to the compact size of the cards.

Soldato
I've set up a custom fan curve in Afterburner, but for some reason it doesn't let me reduce the fan speed down to 0 - 30% is the minimum it'll go to. Does anyone know why this is please? The standard fan curve allows 0 fan speed so I don't think it's BIOS limited.

Very small difference in FPS as boost is only around 15-30 Mhz lower due to the higher temps so I might just stick with the standard fan curve anyway.

Associate

That's what I meant - it is quite warm in touch (in stress) but not hot to the point of burning my fingers. Which is much better than in any card I had in the past, as it means heat is being taken care of efficiently and quietly.

Associate
With the 3080 FE the entire card gets quite hot, including the silver frame. I assume it's the same with the 3070 FE, since it's also completely metal. It's like the entire thing is one big heatsink, without some silly plastic shroud doing nothing except harming airflow. I had mixed feelings about the design when I first saw it, but I really like it now. I'd wager the downside is it being really expensive to manufacture. The weight alone tells you how much more metal the FEs use than almost all AIB models, especially relative to the compact size of the cards.

Which is likely why there's so small number of FE cards out there - expensive to produce, very little margin for NVidia, hence they rather charge AIBs for GPU+RAM combo and get much better margin like that, than to produce these cards themselves.

Associate
I've set up a custom fan curve in Afterburner, but for some reason it doesn't let me reduce the fan speed down to 0 - 30% is the minimum it'll go to. Does anyone know why this is please? The standard fan curve allows 0 fan speed so I don't think it's BIOS limited.

Very small difference in FPS as boost is only around 15-30 Mhz lower due to the higher temps so I might just stick with the standard fan curve anyway.

Probably working as intended once it comes to a complete stop when idle.

30% power could be the least amount of power needed to get the fan moving any lower and it won't start up.

Back
Top Bottom