*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone know of a list of games that use cloud save? I fancy trying a factory reset on my headset to try and clean up a few things that may be due to the updates. But it's not so bad that I want to lose a load of save progress (not that I have that much).

Not too sure, but I think most of them do. Is there is an option in SideQuest to backup your savegames? I think I remember reading people using that to transfer save games between their Quest and Quest 2.

Soldato
ok i am a noob at this.
i want to hook this upto my pc, i7 16gb ram and a gtx 980.

now can i play any vr games on that setup with the quest 2 via a cable ?
which cable would i need ?

also will the alien isolation mod game work too ?

sorry i am a noob

Unfortunately the 980 will struggle with a lot of newer titles unless you're able to turn the game graphics settings down. There are a load of recommended cables in the Quest 2 accessories thread.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/quest-2-accessories-recommendations-reviews-etc.18904166/

The official Oculus link cable may be the best, but is stupid expensive, at £89. It can be had from the rainforest or the catalogue store for half price when they have deals. Hotukdeals or stockinformer will show up the deals.

Soldato
ok i am a noob at this.
i want to hook this upto my pc, i7 16gb ram and a gtx 980.

now can i play any vr games on that setup with the quest 2 via a cable ?
which cable would i need ?

also will the alien isolation mod game work too ?

sorry i am a noob

You need a USB 3 cable if you want to do this. There is an official 5M link cable from Oculus, it's great but expensive. The recommended budget one is from Anker.

You will be able to play VR games on your PC using this. Alien Isolation mod will work fine.

Your problem will be your GPU. The GTX 980 is well under minimum specs. It might work, but it will look terrible and probably be vomit inducing as it tries to keep up.

Permabanned
Unfortunately the 980 will struggle with a lot of newer titles unless you're able to turn the game graphics settings down. There are a load of recommended cables in the Quest 2 accessories thread.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/quest-2-accessories-recommendations-reviews-etc.18904166/

The official Oculus link cable may be the best, but is stupid expensive, at £89. It can be had from the rainforest or the catalogue store for half price when they have deals. Hotukdeals or stockinformer will show up the deals.
You need a USB 3 cable if you want to do this. There is an official 5M link cable from Oculus, it's great but expensive. The recommended budget one is from Anker.

You will be able to play VR games on your PC using this. Alien Isolation mod will work fine.

Your problem will be your GPU. The GTX 980 is well under minimum specs. It might work, but it will look terrible and probably be vomit inducing as it tries to keep up.

thanks for the replies.

so what gpu i will buy off the MM on here so cheaper the better as long as its ok.

tia

mark

Soldato
I think the latest oculus update Oculus app version 24.0.0.42.393 may have bricked the link to my Q2. I can select link in the Q2 settings and it tries to connect to the PC and then comes back with a link error.
I tried the official cable to see if it was my other cable that was at fault, but no go. Factory reset the Q2 and the issue persists. Ho-hum.... time to re-install the oculus software. :mad:

And after reinstalling the oculus software, when I enable the link connection it still stalls and reverts to the quest room not the oculus room. But now in the oculus notifications it's telling me that the quest has no audio. :mad::mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the replies.

so what gpu i will buy off the MM on here so cheaper the better as long as its ok.

tia

mark

I would try with the 980 1st if cash is tight just be prepared to lower detail settings and run at 72hz.

Also an i7 is a pretty wide margin of performance and could be anything going back to 2010.

Assuming your CPU is ok I would say ideally a 1080 or 1070ti is what you are looking for as a 2nd hand upgrade. I have a 1080ti and it is great for quest 2. I cant comment on AMD side however . I dunno if prices have gone up due to the shortages but I tried (and failed) to sell my 1080ti for £300 a few weeks before 3080 launch so hopefully you will find a vanilla 1080 or 1070ti for £200 or less

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, so purchasing on the Quest store does not mean it'll work natively on Quest 2 I have to stream from my PC - what is this BS!? Surely a Quest store purchase should be cross buy?

On the plus side I still have a 25% code that will work on games within my Quest 2...but still, that does seem a bit stupid.

Soldato
Wow, so purchasing on the Quest store does not mean it'll work natively on Quest 2 I have to stream from my PC - what is this BS!? Surely a Quest store purchase should be cross buy?

On the plus side I still have a 25% code that will work on games within my Quest 2...but still, that does seem a bit stupid.

Did you order on Oculus store, or on the Quest section of the Oculus store?

Soldato
lol, well that's really stupid...so are you saying if I bought on the quest tab it would be a local copy only?

Either way all games should be cross buy IMHO

Some games are crossbuy, some aren't, it's the developers choice. If they've had to put a lot of work into the conversion, then I believe they normally choose for it not to be.

Soldato
Some games are crossbuy, some aren't, it's the developers choice. If they've had to put a lot of work into the conversion, then I believe they normally choose for it not to be.

Thanks, shame the store is not clearer...at least now I know what I'm doing! lol

Soldato
lol, well that's really stupid...so are you saying if I bought on the quest tab it would be a local copy only?

Either way all games should be cross buy IMHO
it would be nice that is for sure...... but in a way, the oculus rift is (/was) the oculus eqiivalent of the Sony PS3........ the quest is the eqivalent of the Sony PSP.... and in general games on those formats were not cross buy either.

So whilst i would like games to be cross buy, and if they are it is certainly a hook for me to buy from oculus and not steam, OTOH I can understand why sometimes they may not be.

Soldato
it would be nice that is for sure...... but in a way, the oculus rift is (/was) the oculus eqiivalent of the Sony PS3........ the quest is the eqivalent of the Sony PSP.... and in general games on those formats were not cross buy either.

So whilst i would like games to be cross buy, and if they are it is certainly a hook for me to buy from oculus and not steam, OTOH I can understand why sometimes they may not be.

Actually there were quite a few cross buy (PS3/PSV), but I get your point. The issue is though that they've changed the purchasing habit without making it clear. For example, when I bought the game today it should have said clearly 'Rift only - not Quest compatible' (etc). I guess it doesn't matter because I can stream, I just fond it a little disappointing because it would have been nice to have the option.

Here's another idea, at the time of purchase offer the option to cross buy - that would certainly raise awareness and also I might be tempted to bite @ (say) 30% extra to have that functionality.

Now you've said what you've said I'm worried about checking steam prices to find I've overpaid! lol

Soldato
It does state which platform it's for on the website when you buy i believe. Or if it's multiple. Could be wrong.

Although i certainly can't speak from experience, because i don't have much, i believe buying on the oculus store is likely to avoid more bugs etc than the steam one.

Edit think refund is less than 2 hours played and something like within 10 days. Not sure about days.

Associate
Considering a Quest 2 purchase but have never really explored VR beyond using the Samsung Gear VR with my Galaxy S10.

Prob a silly question, but will I notice a significant difference in terms of visual quality between the Quest 2 and a Gear VR? I am actually mostly interested in using it for watching films in the virtual cinema.

Back
Top Bottom