What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Question over Drastic a couple of the Castlevania games I love need touch to activate spells. Can you emulate touch bearing in mind there is no touch screen on the device?

Yeah you can swap the screens easily by remapping screen swap to a trigger button and then activate mouse mode by holding select and click on the option. I haven't tried Castlevania on the DS personally but should work the same.

You can also patch the game (not sure on the rules about discussing this) so you don't need to use the touchscreen.

Soldato
My Atari Star Wars Arcade 1UP cab arrived yesterday and I put it together today. I never thought I would ever own an actual Atari Star Wars cab (even though it's a 3/4 scale reproduction with a riser to make it taller).

It's a seriously nice piece of kit, and the cabinet artwork is stunning. Oh and it plays Star Wars well too. :D

Associate
@Ravenger oh wow, that must look the mutts, I daren't look as the force is strong. Enjoy!

I would love one of those and a Pinball (would have the be Rocky Pinball from Rocky 3) Very cool.

P.S. You must post some pics! :D

Soldato
Trying to use my DIY adlib clone instead of the opl3 on my yamaha card. Does anyone know how I disable the OPL3 from the yamaha? At the moment they conflict.

I am aware that the adlib is worse but.. I made it and my yamaha card has GM anyway.. :)

Soldato
I actually did retro activity today.

I replaced my slow-ass VIA 800MHz ITX motherboard with an even slower VIA 533MHz ITX motherboard.

My old one had one PCI slot which let me put in a decent sound card OR my Voodoo 3. This new one however has legacy audio with Sound Blaster support so with the Voodoo 3 in there it should in theory be quite a neat little ITX retro gaming PC. It's cable / header layout is actually very neat with only a 20-pin ATX needed!

PLfTgOYh.jpg

VDR6SXdh.jpg

I say in theory as I currently can't get the legacy audio to work. It's enabled in the BIOS, with the sound blaster specifically set as I5 D1 H5 in the BIOS menu. I install the DOS drivers and it is detected, games detect it, but.... no sound! In Windows I get sound just fine. Not sure what I am missing.

I am also nervous that the CPU is going to be just a little (or a lot) too slow. I'm hoping it's like a 233 Pentium 2.

Soldato
Which sound chip does it use?
Neat little system that!

My Win95 system has been seeing some good use lately. So much so that I am not sure if I even want the W98 pentium3 system anymore.

Associate
Yes!

If you have any questions, ask away.

I have a 1200 having owned a 500.

I've attended all the South West Amiga meets too.

Well im wondering what to do regarding games, pay silly eBay prices, go the Gotek floppy emulator route, or figure out how to burn the ADF's I have from my computer onto some blank floppies :p

Soldato
I have a Gotek drive which was good, but the 1200 supports IDE, so I have a CF Drive and use a standard floppy drive.

I write ADF disks from my PC to the Amiga using a Super Drive. A clever circuit board that makes this magic happen.

There are CF options for the 500, such as the terrible fire add on, but I've got no experience of that.

Associate
I aint been in this thread for ages! Back at work and little time for the retro gear at the moment. Hoping to spend some time on it over xmas.

I did have this arrive the other day though. Voodoo 3 3500 TV. I Ain't got no way of testing it at the moment as I don't have the breakout cable. Need to see if I can pick up a P&D dongle from somewhere.

ANBRspUl.jpg

Soldato
I aint been in this thread for ages! Back at work and little time for the retro gear at the moment. Hoping to spend some time on it over xmas.

I did have this arrive the other day though. Voodoo 3 3500 TV. I Ain't got no way of testing it at the moment as I don't have the breakout cable. Need to see if I can pick up a P&D dongle from somewhere.

Oh lovely! I saw a few breakout cables on the bay, but not sure of the prices. It's a lovely card.

Soldato
Bodged a 486 together using a HP Vectra VE4 case, motherboard and CPU.

Graphics is onboard Trio64, but using my Virge instead.

No sound yet, until I source or find a nice soundblaster of the era.

Monitor is a lovely SGI Sony Trinitron, Keyboard is a cheapo Mercury brand and mouse is a bright yellow Compaq 2 button.

I do like my wee Labtec speakers tho :)

Man of Honour
Today, I picked up a completely stock xbox. The original big sod. 2 proper Duke controllers and 2 S controllers, component cable, updated power cable with the RCD and a handful of games. Not even soft modded. Completely original.

Clock capacity hadn't leaked either. And it won't now. Snippy snip.

Looking forward to playing some Sega GT, JSRF, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing...

kar

kar

Associate
I really need to get a grip on the collections I've made recently, but since this is what have you done today, I sorted out a bunch of games I'd picked up recently, tidied up the voodoo and sb cards I had lying around, then prepped the massive CRT & LCD for storage.

4dZAYks.jpeg

A local pickup result of a house clearance, works lovely, now seeking some 16mb 30pin SIMMs for those memory slots so I can load some soundfonts, only gotcha is I need to repair that ST TEA2025 amplifier chip (top right) or one of its voltage supply caps as the external speaker jack isn't working.

yti8zok.jpeg

Bonus appearance of the dual tualatin back left, the board on it a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE has a dodgy cap on it I need to replace to bring it back to full glory. Back right is a Cyrix 486 66 I picked up locally for a fiver, it's a pretty boring machine other than the board in it, a PC Chips M921 with fake cache chips (soldered on, and bios hacked to report 256kb cache even when it doesn't exist. It's a very nice board though with pci slots and the ability to take AMD 5x86/Cyrix 586 chips along with the latter DX4s.

I plan to (one day) desolder the fake cache chips and put proper sockets back.

oXlnaXm.jpeg

4dZAYks

My first 3d card was a Orchid Righteous 3d Voodoo 1 and that thing was a beast for GLQuake/Glqwcl. I never made it to the voodoo 2, instead moving to a Diamond Riva TNT2 16mb circa 1998.

Last edited:
Associate
That Sony is lovely!

Congrats on the Awe32. I always find the Simm's a bit of a wasted opportunity with this card as you can't really load any soundfont's in dos except for the sbk's that come with the driver. Good luck in finding 16mb 30pin simm's too. I have 8mb total on mine, but hardly load up any fonts in windows.

kar

kar

Associate
Yeah the AWE32 is a strange beast, you basically need windows 95 to use it to full effect, yet you then want it for mostly dos era games.

Mine is quite noisy, I have a Awe Upgrade board and when paired with a more modern PnP SB16 the sound is a little bit more clear, but my SB16 doesn't have a legit OPL3, whereas this AWE32 does.

The sony is indeed a lovely, my spine could do with some surgery having packed it up now though!

Associate
Agree some awesome stuff there! The beige LCD looks very cool.

I had that exact Sony monitor! I remember carefully carting it around to mates houses where we would have a weekend of LAN gaming circa 2000-1. Unbelievable now to think of the faff involved and yet, some of my best ever gaming memories. I left it at my parents when I got an Vaio around 2006, where it was eventually moved into the garage, to get skipped. I never learned from dumping all my big box games. :(

Back
Top Bottom