What watch do you wear?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
How long should Lumn last on a watch? little bit disappointed with my Christopher Ward, charged with a UV torch its lovely and bright but completely gone within an hour.

Man of Honour
How long should Lumn last on a watch? little bit disappointed with my Christopher Ward, charged with a UV torch its lovely and bright but completely gone within an hour.

I've made it my life's mission to appreciate good lume in any watch I buy so feel I can put forward my experience here.

There are a couple of things to note with lume and how long it lasts. The brand doesn't really matter, it's how it's applied (layering) that dictates how long it lasts as well as the compound "day colour". I don't know what CW watch you have but if it's anything like standard couple of layers of C1/green unbranded lume like most Longines then it won't last long at all and may well be invisible within the hour.

I was so furious with my Longines HydroConquest lume once that I sent it to Detroit at MCWW to be re-lumed with heavy blue NoctiLumina and it came back with blue lume that lasted several hours with an initial brightness that lasted 5-10 mins and then slowly dimmed to a visible glow for several hours after. Both my current watches use lighter layers of C3 and BGW9 but are heavy enough to still glow in the middle of the night and be visible with dark adjusted eyes so personally I am fine with this.

Since then I've only had and seen a handful of watches with lume that can be compared to the MCWW application. Tudor Pelagos used heavy BGW9 which was nearly on par, and the Marloe Morar Black Edition which exceeded both of those watches with a custom compound that was bright for 5 hours and was visible in the middle of the night having seen no light.

Expectations of lume brightness and longevity will be solely down to how much the maker cared about lume for that particular watch and not the brand in general as it will vary insanely in my experience between models and how much time/money the maker wanted to dedicate to good lume. Doesn't matter if it's a dive watch or dress either, all down to effort on the maker's part.

Soldato
Seems about right, how long are you planning on spending in the dark? If you want something that glows constantly you'll want a Tritium lumed watch.
Do you sleep with a light on? If not, a watch with lume that lasts more than an hour is rather needed if that's your desired way of telling the time.

I've found every Seiko diver I've owned to have really long lasting lume. Dressier watches like my Grand Seiko SBGA041 is unusual for a dressier GS in that it has lume, but it's very slimly applied to the hands and as such isn't of much use.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've made it my life's mission to appreciate good lume in any watch I buy so feel I can put forward my experience here.

Cheers @mrk its a CW C60 Trident Pro 600, in fairness its my first non digital daily wear in a very long time so I don't think I knew exactly what I was expecting, if that's about the right amount of time I'll get used to it :D

Man of Honour
:cool:

Check this comparison out, both watches are nigh on the same on paper, 39mm case, 11.5mm vs 12mm thickness (inc crystal), 46.5mm vs 47mm lug to lug length yet, visually one looks considerably chunkier than the other!

Laco-Aachen-39mm_VS_Baltic-Aquascaphe-SB01_Thickness.jpg

Man of Honour
Gonna need to see a pic of a watch on these girl wrists you keep mentioning :p I mean it wears fine for me so surely must be fine for you??

Gotta say from side profile views I really appreciate how cool the Baltic looks. That slim mid-case just looks so refined and the brushed finishing is really nice.

Man of Honour
I am not a wookie, this is true :p

As for the mouse mat, Amazon search for Titanwolf mouse surface map. There are many variants of this from other brands but only the Titanwolf one is nice and thick padded with a quality edge stitching and comes out of the packaging roll without the wavy pattern like the inferior quality ones :cool:

Back
Top Bottom