NHS-NoReply - How To Block??

Capodecina
Soldato
I have tried that but was told be the receptionist that "they're from the powers that be and there's nothing we can do about it here"
In fairness, the Receptionist may well be telling the truth - as far as she understands it.

Some years ago there was a lot of talk about General Practice data sharing. The idea was to allow the NHS to have centralised records that would be available to Hospitals, Researchers, etc. In principle a very good idea.

However there was a lot of understandable opposition based on privacy concerns and the uncertainty over whether this data might be sold on to Insurers, etc. Many but not all GP Surgeries agreed not to share an individual's Patient data if specifically requested NOT to do so by the patient.

I don't know how all of this was eventually sorted out but it may be that your contact details were supplied to some centralised body - perhaps via the NHS Spine?

As to changing your GP Surgery - Why? If you are happy overall with the service you get from it, a few SMS messages (which you may only be able to stop by changing your mobile 'phone number) don't seem to be worth bothering with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Samsung S8. Apparently there was a feature to block messages containing certain phrases but not anymore.

NHS should provide unsubscribe option though. GDPR...

Do you actually know what GDPR is?

There's nothing in that message you quoted that breaches any GDPR guidelines.

Soldato
Do you actually know what GDPR is?

There's nothing in that message you quoted that breaches any GDPR guidelines.

While I'm not familiar with the GDPR as much as some people and always open to be taught something, my initial point here is that I would say that's not right. Many sources such as :

https://fastsms.co.uk/blog/sms-marketing-gdpr

Indicate on point 3:

"For SMS Marketing, this means including an opt-out option in every message"

Page 6 here also mentions this:

https://www.sms-magic.com/wp-conten...ulatory-Compliance-for-SMS-Text-Messaging.pdf

I'm not sure if this counts as marketing, I would assume it does, but that message doesn't include an opt-out. Certainly it's a GDPR failure to be told "tough luck deal with it". If my understanding here is wrong, happy to be educated why

- GP

Edit: Looking back through my texts, all the messages have a STOP instruction on them, such as UKPN and PlusNET - even my GP ones have it

Associate
Is it a real NHS message? I'd have thought they'd have pointed you to the .gov website for anything like that.
Considering how easy it is to fake caller ID/message sender information it's highly likely that a bulk of the messages are from someone who got the OPs number from somewhere (website data breach where the data is being sold on te dark web) and is faking the sender ID to make it look like it's coming from the NHS (and I highly doubt that the NHS would recommend a site that only came into being at the start of this pandemic).

Caporegime
I'd be changing GP's

Lol for receiving a text message every other month?

I've got a half decent gp surgery now I can ignore any texts the send I would only leave if I could find a better one and these are the best in my catchment and in fact so popular no longer cover my area. So I got in before the horse bolted.

No way would I leave over some SMS messages easily ignored.

Soldato
Considering how easy it is to fake caller ID/message sender information it's highly likely that a bulk of the messages are from someone who got the OPs number from somewhere (website data breach where the data is being sold on te dark web) and is faking the sender ID to make it look like it's coming from the NHS (and I highly doubt that the NHS would recommend a site that only came into being at the start of this pandemic).

You'll find local NHS surgeries websites with reference to it, it's hardly 'highly doubtful' that a local GP surgery would text it out too.

One I found on Google:

https://www.bartonhousemedicalpractice.co.uk/germ-defence/

We have recently sent out a text message with a link to Germ Defence, this is not a scam, however we can see that this may look concerning.

More information regarding this:

We are letting you know about a very useful website called Germ Defence which was created by a team of doctors and scientists to give you advice that has been proven to reduce the spread of viruses in the home.

etc. etc. etc.

Soldato
Lol for receiving a text message every other month?

I've got a half decent gp surgery now I can ignore any texts the send I would only leave if I could find a better one and these are the best in my catchment and in fact so popular no longer cover my area. So I got in before the horse bolted.

No way would I leave over some SMS messages easily ignored.
Not for receiving texts, more for having an employee who seems blasé about patients data.

Caporegime
Not for receiving texts, more for having an employee who seems blasé about patients data.

What data?

His Surgery is sending him SMS messages. They will have his phone number on file in case they need to contact him or remind him of appointments.

All they are doing is sending him information they deem important during a pandemic.

To leave them over this would be crazy IMO.

Soldato
What data?

His Surgery is sending him SMS messages. They will have his phone number on file in case they need to contact him or remind him of appointments.

All they are doing is sending him information they deem important during a pandemic.

To leave them over this would be crazy IMO.

information which people are questioning if it’s genuine or not. Again if I got fobbed off like that I’m be looking at changing practices

Caporegime
information which people are questioning if it’s genuine or not. Again if I got fobbed off like that I’m be looking at changing practices

It is genuine his surgery confirmed that. However they said they couldn't control what gets sent to him as it's likely the director who makes that decision not the receptionist. Yeah he could have asked to be removed from it but I wouldn't leave because I may get sent a Covid related message once in a blue moon

Soldato
It is genuine his surgery confirmed that. However they said they couldn't control what gets sent to him as it's likely the director who makes that decision not the receptionist. Yeah he could have asked to be removed from it but I wouldn't leave because I may get sent a Covid related message once in a blue moon
You’re not getting it are you :p It’s your data and they say they can’t control what’s sent to you ? Then who can? Are they saying they don’t have control over data in general?

Man of Honour
"Hi I no longer wish for you to communicate with me using SMS please call or post any communications going forward"
It's your data, you choose how they are allowed to use it. There's no "computer says no" here, it's not optional for them to ignore your wishes unless they want to end up in hot water with the ICO.

Caporegime
You’re not getting it are you :p It’s your data and they say they can’t control what’s sent to you ? Then who can? Are they saying they don’t have control over data in general?

I'm willing to bet if he sends a letter to the director of the surgery he will be removed.

He spoke to a call centre monkey essentially who just deals with basic requests probably never had anyone ask about the SMS before.

He could try and get a different receptionist tomorrow and that could solve it too.

It's not a huge deal and I doubt anything dodgy is going on with his data it's a gp surgery. It's just a person not well trained or skilled on the phones who got asked a question they didn't seem was worthwhile use of their time to look into. Which tbh during a pandemic and it being a gp surgery I am looking at the bigger picture here not that the receptionist didn't really deal with his SMS request properly.

Again it's not something I would leave a surgery over.

Caporegime
"Hi I no longer wish for you to communicate with me using SMS please call or post any communications going forward"
It's your data, you choose how they are allowed to use it. There's no "computer says no" here, it's not optional for them to ignore your wishes unless they want to end up in hot water with the ICO.

I would normally agree but during a pandemic gp surgeries are overloaded enough with all sorts. Yeah they should be dealing with it properly but essentially it's just not a big deal.

If he writes a letter and gets a similar response then it's an issue IMO.

Back
Top Bottom