Show Us Your Motors!

Caporegime
True :p

Love the VRS, but as far as I can see no stereo upgrade? I listen to a lot of music in the car so a decent factory upgrade is important :)

Well the one I test drove has a very good stereo. Unless you want to connect something to it of course. :p

How on earth can you tell there's no stereo upgrade from a picture of the exterior :eek:
I assumed he means theres no premium audio upgrade option available.

Soldato
Sorry, poorly worded.

I was meant that I couldn't see any options for factory upgrades on the stereos for Skodas (i.e. VW have Dynaudio, SEAT have SEAT Sound...)

Skoda have CANTON

(edit - though you probably won't see on the new Mk4 yet, as not all options are available to spec yet)

Soldato
Yeah I've just seen this after some googling - it seems very few cars spec it, vs HK for example.

I wonder if this indicates that lots of new Octavias are lease? Golfs have the same issue - very few specced with Dynaudio, and those that are typically command quite a premium :(

It was a £500 option, which is a fair chunk on something that's marketed as the budget Golf alternative and the standard stereo is more than good enough for most people who are just listening to Radio 1/4 or a low bitrate Spotify stream. Anyone vaguely serious about audio in the Skoda circles ends up spending a wedge on sound insulation before any other sort of upgrade, as that's one area Skoda cost save in comparison to VW.

All that said, most new ones are probably lease/PCP where adding options makes less sense - one of the reasons I liked the early 245s - as a 'special' edition, it came bundled with a load of extras so they're a bit less spec sensitive than the regular trims.

Soldato
It was a £500 option, which is a fair chunk on something that's marketed as the budget Golf alternative and the standard stereo is more than good enough for most people who are just listening to Radio 1/4 or a low bitrate Spotify stream. Anyone vaguely serious about audio in the Skoda circles ends up spending a wedge on sound insulation before any other sort of upgrade, as that's one area Skoda cost save in comparison to VW.

All that said, most new ones are probably lease/PCP where adding options makes less sense - one of the reasons I liked the early 245s - as a 'special' edition, it came bundled with a load of extras so they're a bit less spec sensitive than the regular trims.

That makes a lot of sense - do you happen to know if SEATs are the same? The Leon Cupra seems to be very good value for money, almost suspiciously so...

Soldato
That makes a lot of sense - do you happen to know if SEATs are the same? The Leon Cupra seems to be very good value for money, almost suspiciously so...

The Leons are probably easier to find with audio upgrades as I think it was more like a £300 option on the Seat.

The Leon whilst being more budget than the Golf, was marketed more as being the 'younger sportier' choice, so probably didn't attract quite the same degree of tight fistedness as your typical new Skoda buyer/leaser :p

Soldato
The Leons are probably easier to find with audio upgrades as I think it was more like a £300 option on the Seat.

The Leon whilst being more budget than the Golf, was marketed more as being the 'younger sportier' choice, so probably didn't attract quite the same degree of tight fistedness as your typical new Skoda buyer/leaser :p

More good points!

I need to get test driving to really work out what I like and then cost everything up :cool:

I suspect I'll end up in a 3 series if anything

Associate
Cheers. I'm not sure what to do with it next, I want to remove the interior and put a cage in but I'm not convinced there's a huge amount of weight to save in doing so, and I still drive it over to Spa and the 'ring so having an interior is nice to have.

If you still use it for trips like that I would say it’s not worth it. Swap the front seats out for some nice buckets and get some sticky tyres

Man of Honour
If you still use it for trips like that I would say it’s not worth it. Swap the front seats out for some nice buckets and get some sticky tyres
Yeah buckets are on the list, just have a house purchase to hopefully get through first before I do anything else. I had a pole position in my last car and loved it so will more than likely go for one again.

Back
Top Bottom