Poll: Sakhir Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 16/17

Rate the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Do we think George Russell to Mercedes would be a good idea?

I mean I'd love to see him on the podium every week, but he would always be a no.2 driver against Hamilton, and the chances of beating him would be slim.

I also think Mercedes might be coming towards the end of their dominance with the new regs. They can't stay on top forever and sooner or later they will be matched/beaten.

2021? No. He doesn't fit in the car properly. Not really much they can do about it now. Too late for major chassis modifications, especially as the 2020 chassis is being carried forward to 2021.

2022... Yes.

Man of Honour
Does it really need chassis modification? I wouldn't have thought it was that fundamental.

It's not designed for someone that tall. Why make the chassis bigger than is needed by the race and reserve drivers?

He's 6'2" - 6" taller than Bottas, 5" taller than Hamilton, 4" taller than Vandoorne. There's only so much adjustment in the car, pedals and seats. I'd expect him to be a little more comfortable this weekend if he races in Abu Dhabi, but not that much more. Just from having a bit more time and knowing what they can do.

Toto on Sky Germany

EotXRrLXcAEXlir.jpg

Soldato
It's not designed for someone that tall. Why make the chassis bigger than is needed by the race and reserve drivers?

He's 6'2" - 6" taller than Bottas, 5" taller than Hamilton, 4" taller than Vandoorne. There's only so much adjustment in the car, pedals and seats. I'd expect him to be a little more comfortable this weekend if he races in Abu Dhabi, but not that much more. Just from having a bit more time and knowing what they can do.

Toto on Sky Germany
Very interesting, I knew he wasnt fully fitted up to the car but I didnt know it was to that extent. Just goes to further reinforce just how impressive his performance was last weekend, especially compared to Bottas.

Associate
Merc should stick to the tried and tested Schumacher model and thus keep bottas.

What's good for the goose is good for the Gander.

Caporegime

I thought he was 6'1", 4" taller than Hamilton's 5'9"? But that's by the by. I would have thought the modifications would be to the shape of the aperture at the top of cockpit, where he's struggling with his shoulders, and the area where his feet go, possibly impacting the survival cell. Too much for them to change for a race, but surely not a fundamental design change such that it couldn't easily be accommodated between seasons.

Man of Honour
I thought he was 6'1", 4" taller than Hamilton's 5'9"? But that's by the by. I would have thought the modifications would be to the shape of the aperture at the top of cockpit, where he's struggling with his shoulders, and the area where his feet go, possibly impacting the survival cell. Too much for them to change for a race, but surely not a fundamental design change such that it couldn't easily be accommodated between seasons.

I went on what he said in the interviews over the weekend.

But the 2020 chassis IS the 2021 chassis unless you want to spend tokens modifying it like McLaren have had to do with their swap to Mercedes power unit next year. Other than that, it's a frozen component for next year. Limited tokens, and doing something like that takes an awful lot of them. It'd be effectively a new chassis, then the bodywork would probably need modification, more tokens. Do they have enough to do that, and would they rather them be used elsewhere for a larger performance benefit?

There's also the date. It's a touch late for a new chassis to be started, moulds made, chassis built, crash tested... and so on. And give it 23 days and they'll working on the 2022 car. Earliest possible date that's allowed.

Caporegime
But the 2020 chassis IS the 2021 chassis unless you want to spend tokens modifying it like McLaren have had to do with their swap to Mercedes power unit next year. Other than that, it's a frozen component for next year.

As I understand it, modifications required to accommodate a different driver are explicitly exempt the from the token rules.

Limited tokens, and doing something like that takes an awful lot of them. It'd be effectively a new chassis, then the bodywork would probably need modification, more tokens. Do they have enough to do that, and would they rather them be used elsewhere for a larger performance benefit?

I dunno, it doesn't seem to me like it'd be that major a change. I'd have thought it'd comfortable fit within other modifications they're making anyway. Perhaps I'm misjudging it.

There's also the date. It's a touch late for a new chassis to be started, moulds made, chassis built, crash tested... and so on. And give it 23 days and they'll working on the 2022 car. Earliest possible date that's allowed.

Again, I'd presume that modifications are planned anyway.

I'm sure it is a bit of a problem to modify the car, but it doesn't seem like an issue that they'd be letting decide a driver. I mean, I think it's all moot anyway as I think they'll stick with Bottas as he's under contract and so is Russell, and it's all a bit late for that.

Soldato

I thought Hamilton was 5'7"?

Associate
2021? No. He doesn't fit in the car properly. Not really much they can do about it now. Too late for major chassis modifications, especially as the 2020 chassis is being carried forward to 2021.

2022... Yes.
Even if they can't modify it, I'm sure he'd take a year being uncomfortable in the Mercedes over another year in that Williams s***box.

Soldato

Toto on Sky Germany

EotXRrLXcAEXlir.jpg

So George was outbreaking everyone because he could only get to 80% — Genius! :D

I assume he had to lift-and-coast a bit to achieve the desired cornering speed?

Soldato
Huh. Yeah I was wrong. I have to say I hadn't realised how teeny the grid are before.

I assumed karting allows the smaller kids to excel, which gives them the opportunity to gain experience. At the lower levels a gorilla is never going to win, no matter how skilled.

Soldato
To everyone who thinks Russell will get the seat in 2022, I cannot see it.

I would be highly surprised if he ever gets the seat while Lewis is there.

No way someone like Lewis will sign off on a serious competitor in the sister car, unless clauses in Russells contract say he will be a solid number two and never compete directly, a bit like Schumacher "had" with most of his team mates.

I know Schumacher's team mates might not have directly had exact words in their contracts to say that, but in everything but actual words they all knew he was number one and you never race him.
None of Hamilton's teammates have ever had clauses yet this 'theory' continues unfounded.

Soldato
Yes. Aitkin didn't do too badly either, winning the battle of the new drivers.
Agreed, although his mishap inevitably screwed over Russell (SC which led to the cockup & then running over the debris) who is the guy he stood in for, and in doing so Williams reserve screwed Williams number 1, in a random kinda way.

Soldato

2022... Yes.
If he can perform like that in one race does he need to wait for Merc to redesign for 2022? No.

Back
Top Bottom