• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
How're everyone's consoles behaving at almost a month after launch? Anyone had a duff one or bricked theirs?
Mines good as gold, silent and other than one lock up it hasn’t skipped a beat.
Mind you I’ve had it for over a week now but there is so much to like about it.

Seeing as I play a lot of destiny2 at the moment, today Bungie updated it to support 60fps amongst other great features.
I never thought much about 60fps but my god my eyes were treated to super smooth gameplay.
All in all loving my series x.

Man of Honour
There's a thread on HUKD with links to a Discord which sends notifications out when stock comes in. Or there's @PA_Console on Twitter. I found the Discord more reliable though. The Twitter accounts mostly seems to generate Amazon Germany, France, and Spain links and missed a bunch of UK stock today.

Getting a Series X won't be easy though. Stock disappears in seconds.

Most of the big UK retailers got ~300 units each - like with the PS5 though lot of retailers have let staff have first dibs probably about 1/5th will make it to retail.

Soldato
How're everyone's consoles behaving at almost a month after launch? Anyone had a duff one or bricked theirs?

Mine has had some weird behaviour on occasion. One failed Quick Resume out of many that worked perfectly. Couple of lockups on Rocket League in the week after launch, lock up a week ago on AoW: Planetfall. Twice now I've connected my 9X headset and the sound stops after five seconds, requiring me to turn the headset off and back on. It disconnected my controller last night. Other than those, it has had many, many hours already working as expected in joyous silence.

Soldato
What are the output settings on the Xbox set to? And also, what is the capture device capable of accepting as an input? The HDTVtest video posted a page or so ago highlights some of the differences with the output from your Xbox that depend on what settings you choose. This could be causing the banding you see.

output is 4k, 1440p crashes capture device (they think only tv modes matter), I did also try 1080p, but the banding stayed at 1080p.

I tried both 8bit and 10bit colour depth in fidelity settings, and it is using PC-RGB.

I have grabbed another hdmi 2.0 cable from my ps4 pro box and plan to connect it to the console directly to see if things change. The recordings done using the built in feature in my opinion are better quality than the ps4 pro, so I dont mind bypassing the capture device on the Series S. Also I believe if you record HDR content, will colour map it correctly back to SDR on the recordings so can play back fine on SDR devices, something that is not easy to do with OBS.

Personally I think HDR even on something like the LG850 is very noticeable, primarily because you get the much wider colours been used, and properly colour mapped. The problem I believe though is if I remove the capture device, I think HDR will no longer work, because according to displayninja, both the LG and dell nano ips panels cant use HDR on the consoles.

The banding I will say though in practice I think isnt a big deal, I havent noticed banding in the game itself. It seems to be just on that screen dimming.

Associate
Mine has been flawless (apart from the occaisional quick resume failure) until last night. For some reason I couldn't play anything, would just drop back to dash after a few seconds. Then it tried to update itself (insider program) and finished with the message that the update failed. This morning it didn't login automatically so I had to trigger it manually. Seems to be working now though. I guess we will see what happens when the next update comes out.

Soldato
Is it worth going from xbone x to series s?

It depends if lower resolutions will bother you, X was a console that targeted 4k, S targets a lower resolution, some games will still be 4k, others may be much lower. Personally I am not that bothered, but if you are bothered, this is something to think about.

In terms of the other aspects of the console, cpu, speed of storage, and the fact it can play xbox series games it is the better machine. Also does xbox one x have auto hdr?

Soldato
Most of the big UK retailers got ~300 units each - like with the PS5 though lot of retailers have let staff have first dibs probably about 1/5th will make it to retail.

Yeah I expect staff are taking majority of stock, seems such a strange policy to have, the staff should be made to queue/order same as joe public.

Associate
Series S / X just got the update which enables 120fps.

Just toggling Performance and Quality and spinning the camera around you can see the butter smooth difference. It's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom