iRacing

Soldato
I'm Back! Signed up again at the weekend, been a long time since I was really active, 2016 it seems!

Anyway, signed up Sunday, jumped in the Skippy around Donington did a few laps before jumping in a race (very familiar with the the skippy, don't think I'd done much aroun Donington before), Qualified 15th, Finished 10th, not the cleanest but no major incidents so happy with that :)

Then I got offended by having Rookie Licences in Dirt Road and Dirt Oval, back in 2016 these didnt even exist! So I jumped in the Beetle for the iRX Rookie series, and the Street Stock on the Dirt Oval side, and it's kinda fun... So far done two Dirt Road/Rallycross races, 2 incidents in the first race and 0x in the second, helps the enjoyment as I qualified pole and both won both races :D First Dirst Oval/Street Stock race was again a pole and win, second one I qualified I think 4th and finished 2nd (more through attrition than pace), more importantly both incident free.

Been practicing the Skippy at Bathurst, again another track I've not done much on, god know how people are doing 2:31/32's...

Glad to be back at last, with some time/freedom to race and practice again. I originally signed up for a month to see how it felt but pretty quickly jumped on an extra year renewal with the 25% off so hopefully gonna be playing it for a while :)

Soldato
It's quiet in here...

Done a few more races now:
Dirt Road - iRX Rookies, pole and win, 0x, good times
Dirt Oval - Street Stock, qualified 2nd but didn't get a good start at all, really good battle (mostly, 2x I'm blaming on someone else) with a few cars, came home in 3rd, happy with that.
Dirt Road - Switched to the pro lite 2 truck or whatever it's called, with no real practice, way off the pace, oops :D Still a good race/battles, 0x, finished 4th I think.

Dirt Road is now D-Class \o/ Rookie still on Dirt Oval.

Then the Skippy at Bathurst... Moar practice, finally felt consistent enough so entered the race. Failed to qualify, not a good start. 0x on the exit of Forrest's Elbow on the first lap and then just slid into the wall for a 2x somewhere around the esses. Oops. First lap at the start of the Esses someone crashed, I hit a loose wheel (that never used to happen! :p) which may or may not have damaged my car... It felt ok but my best was a really clean/'good' lap that ended as a mid-2:35, I feel like that should've been a mid-2:34, and other cars were *quick* (2:31's) so it wasn't conditions, I don't think... But maybe I was just slow... Started 17th, finished 13th, 0x, not too unhappy with that, probably couldn't have done much better looking at the lap times of the rest of the field.

Dunno if I'll bother much with W13 but definitely looking forward to getting some racing in before christmas and into the new year :)

Soldato
I've not been racing too much, after my GT3 league finished being doing the odd IMSA race in the LMP2, which is a great car. I got a clubpsort v2.5 base and formula rim in the black Friday deal but not had too much time to race yet. I usually give week 13 a miss and just practice for the first week back.

Soldato
Nice, I did see the deals from Fanatec, tempting but my trusty old G25 is still alive and kicking so too cheap to upgrade :D

Yeah, previously for week 13 I've either just taken a week off simracing or practiced for the upcoming races, the latter probably makes sense this time as I've been out of it so long...

Soldato
I had a TS-PC, that broke and for the past few months I was lucky that a teammate lent me a G29. I was decided on upgrading to Fanatec, I was waiting till next year but at 20% I would be losing money not getting it now right? Or that's the justification I gave to the GF. :p

Associate
I've been back on a fair bit recently, enjoying it again after some time away.

Got my irating up to 4.5k now, so that has put me in the top slit split for most things, which makes a huge difference to the quality of racers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, higher splits definitely helps, can still get a bit competitive/aggressive but what's the point otherwise :D

But I have been extremely/pleasantly surprised by the Rookie Dirt stuff, very clean, even when racing with 3-4 cars, side-by-side on the Dirt Ovals and only once minor incident really, was great fun :)

Soldato
Sounds legit to me :D

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it compared to the G29...

The jump from the G29 is massive, as you would expect as it's easily 3 times the price. Lots more torque/strength, everything has a bit more detail (it's easier to pick out individual bumps etc) and it's a lot smoother. I felt that with the g29 sometimes it felt like gears were clunking. My biggest issue with the G29 was the deadzone of FFB for the first few degrees of rotation. I was running the Macca and those few degrees make the difference before you get into a slide, Fanatec, doesn't have that. I'm also really impressed with the quality feel of the Fanatec base and rim.

Soldato
I had a TS-PC, that broke and for the past few months I was lucky that a teammate lent me a G29. I was decided on upgrading to Fanatec, I was waiting till next year but at 20% I would be losing money not getting it now right? Or that's the justification I gave to the GF. :p

LOL,
I used similar man maths and picked up the CSL Elite PS4 bundle with V3 pedals.
Not had a chance to set the kit up yet. But man does it look and feel miles ahead of the G29.

Soldato
Dirt racing is great fun, the 305s are excellent and I would recommend them :)

I'll have to pick them up, there's two new ones coming as well aren't there?

Just jumped on to do a few more Dirt Oval races to try and get my D-Class licence, they've made the Rookie street stocks even more interesting for W13, what fun... No qualifying so just iRating determining starting position, and an extra 10 laps on a seemingly more 'worn' track to start with... Was getting extremely slippy towards the last 5-10 laps...

Both races were a bit mental in terms of racing, but around me at least 'mostly' clean/avoidable.

First race I started 9th, was upto 7th when I went in too hot and tapped the guy ahead, half-spun (he was thankfully fine) but dropped me to 10th, where I finished.
Second race I started 4th, some crazy shenanigans at the start before 2-4 broke away from the guys behind, leader had opened a gap on us, then the 3rd place spun, then the leader got taken out, then I overtook the other guy for the lead and although it was getting soooo sketchy grip wise and the lapped cars I swear were trying to take me out I managed to come in first \o/ 4x unfortunately but I'll take it for a win :D

Still not D-Class/>3SR... Not sure I can take another race or two :eek:

The jump from the G29 is massive, as you would expect as it's easily 3 times the price. Lots more torque/strength, everything has a bit more detail (it's easier to pick out individual bumps etc) and it's a lot smoother. I felt that with the g29 sometimes it felt like gears were clunking. My biggest issue with the G29 was the deadzone of FFB for the first few degrees of rotation. I was running the Macca and those few degrees make the difference before you get into a slide, Fanatec, doesn't have that. I'm also really impressed with the quality feel of the Fanatec base and rim.

Nice, shame the sale has ended, saves my wallet :p I never really notice the deadzone in the G25, I believe it's supposed to be the same across the G2x range, but then I largely drive cars like the Skippy which aren't exactly as sensitive as, well, pretty much any other car in the game :D

Associate
they've made the Rookie street stocks even more interesting for W13, what fun... No qualifying :D

You can qualify, but you need to do it before the race, so go into the event under current series and choose one of the Q sessions. Your time is then valid for multiple sessions, cannot remember how many - maybe 24hrs?

There are some new dirt items coming yeah, quite a variety of new stuff coming across the different classes - looks good.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I've never driven is before but the old pro mazda is good fun. Trying to dodge the F1 cars make it bit more interesting as well.
Driving the Skippy with the F3’s and Pro Mazdas was both terrifying and exhilarating.

My F3 doesn’t even have a schedule this week. I might buy Long Beach and fling the Skippy around it later in the week.

Soldato
Did my first race of the season this evening, love Oulton Park but damn it's easy to get 1x in a couple of places... I screwed up Qualifying (T1 on both laps) but managed only two 1x's during the race so it's ok I guess, some really good close racing though and finished 13th (started 17th, ranked 13th) so could be worse :)

Back
Top Bottom