• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
I am currently gaming with GTX 970. I was looking at the newer Nvidia and AMD cards but all are out of stock and the prices are quite extreme due to limited availability. I don't think this will change for some time, and am happy to upgrade to an older card such as the 5700xt for better price and availability.

However two things I've read that make me feel apprehensive are the temps and drivers. I have heard it is not uncommon for the 5700xt to get quite hot and there appears to be driver problems that are on-going issue from what I have read so far.

I was just wondering what people's experiences have been concerning temps and drivers issues?

I just recently bought a second hand Asus 5700 TUF. The worst of the bunch with pre VRAM temp fix. I then flashed that with an Asus TUF 5700 XT TUF and have no issues what so ever. Sure the cooler is bad but I can maintain around 1950 on the core effectively without issue and with a better cooler the card boosted to 2050 with no issue. Drivers have been working without a single issue and I'm very happy with that GPU. Solid hardware. Before that I had a Vega 64 which also had no issues. So I think the whole driver situation is blown a bit out of proportion.

Soldato
I just recently bought a second hand Asus 5700 TUF. The worst of the bunch with pre VRAM temp fix. I then flashed that with an Asus TUF 5700 XT TUF and have no issues what so ever. Sure the cooler is bad but I can maintain around 1950 on the core effectively without issue and with a better cooler the card boosted to 2050 with no issue. Drivers have been working without a single issue and I'm very happy with that GPU. Solid hardware. Before that I had a Vega 64 which also had no issues. So I think the whole driver situation is blown a bit out of proportion.

That's reassuring thanks. :cool:

dal

dal

Associate
I'm thinking of getting one of these cards, I read a few reviews saying they run hot and loud but they also seem to have overall good reviews, are they hot and loud ? Would you recommend one ?

Cheers

Associate
Powercolor 5700XT Red Dragon.

General gaming temps are 75-85°, hotspot 95-105°. All depends on ambient temperature and the game. As far as noise, I can't tell if it contributes much when I have 6 case fans going and two 120mm fans on the CPU cooler.

Drivers can be a bit finicky, mine has an issue with losing display for a few seconds whilst under load using freesync. I've finally tracked it down as something to do with the monitor's power state. If I allow my PC to idle, and put the monitor in to sleep mode, freesync gaming thereafter suffers from inexplicable/random 2-3 second long black screens. Since ensuring my monitor is never turned off/put to sleep by the system I've not had a single black screen.

I wouldn't call it a particularly hot or loud card tbh.

Associate
I'm thinking of getting one of these cards, I read a few reviews saying they run hot and loud but they also seem to have overall good reviews, are they hot and loud ? Would you recommend one ?

Cheers
I had the Powercolour Red Devil card. Think I paid around 400 for it new. Great card and gave reasonable FPS on 1440p on warzone etc. Around 120ish at high settings. Driver issues were sorted nearer the end of ownership so there shouldn't be any problems on that front. Sold it due to getting a 6800XT.

But overall, it's a great card that looks pretty cool.

dal

dal

Associate
I had the Powercolour Red Devil card. Think I paid around 400 for it new. Great card and gave reasonable FPS on 1440p on warzone etc. Around 120ish at high settings. Driver issues were sorted nearer the end of ownership so there shouldn't be any problems on that front. Sold it due to getting a 6800XT.

But overall, it's a great card that looks pretty cool.

Cheers and well done on getting a 6800 XT, that will probably be my next upgrade when they become more available.

Associate
Cheers and well done on getting a 6800 XT, that will probably be my next upgrade when they become more available.

But I would have been happy keeping my 5700XT for another year if I hadn't had got a card, it's underrated as a GPU in my opinion.

Associate
How much of a performance uplift are you seeing compared to the Vega?

I've got one on water and wasn't sure I could justify a 5700 xt as benchmarks didn't really look like much of an improvement over what I've got. (I game at 3440x1440)

Soldato
How much of a performance uplift are you seeing compared to the Vega?

I've got one on water and wasn't sure I could justify a 5700 xt as benchmarks didn't really look like much of an improvement over what I've got. (I game at 3440x1440)

Well, that's a bit difficult to say as I haven't run any specific benchmarks however there were some games my vega card would trip over and while frame pacing was fine the overall FPS left some or a lot to be desired. Most games with stock RX 5700 bios I would say my undervolted Vega would be equal to the 5700 and the more troublesome the RX 5700 would be a fair bit ahead. The 5700XT bios have added roughly 10% more performance on top of that now that I'm running a 3rd party cooler and that's while drawing roughly 140 watts according to Wattman overlay, now that's not total board power but with my vega that would read roughly 200-240w so still an improvement. Normally I wouldn't upgrade from a good vega 64 to a 5700 or 5700 XT but I basically swapped them for free and only paid for the diesel to get there and pick the card up, so an overall good investment I feel.

Back
Top Bottom