• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I doubt it, as the 10GB does have me a little worried bud, so looking more like a 6800 XT for me but at the same time, I doubt I will have the funds for my gaming room, as the Mrs has booked 2 cruises for next year, so no Freesync. I might even just sit it out and wait for the next gen!
Poor Gregster. Stuck on yesterdays tech. I would never have imaged the day would come :p

To be honest at 1440p I do not think you need the upgrade anyway. In your shoes I certainly would skip this gen and finally upgrade to 4K in a couple of years time and get something then.

Caporegime
Poor Gregster. Stuck on yesterdays tech. I would never have imaged the day would come :p

To be honest at 1440p I do not think you need the upgrade anyway to be honest. In your shoes I certainly would skip this gen and finally upgrade to 4K in a couple of years time and get something then.
Haha and it is killing me bud. I will be playing CP2077 and see how it copes but I am a bit of an RT fan, so if it is uncomfortably slow at my res, I can see me biting and probably a 3080.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha and it is killing me bud. I will be playing CP2077 and see how it copes but I am a bit of an RT fan, so if it is uncomfortably slow at my res, I can see me biting and probably a 3080.
Yeah, I can see that too :p

It is what I always saw, well actually I was thinking 3090, but with things being a bit more tight I thought defo 3080. Then you started going on a about a 6090XT and I was like.. really..? :p:D

Soldato
RT is a great piece of tech but i wanna see 90fps minimum at 1440p ultra before i make a purchasing decision based on RT perf. and none of the cards can do that. Maybe April 2022.

Man of Honour
I'll wait until its a feature on more than half of the planned games I wanna play before it affects my decision. Currently, Cyberpunk is the only one :p

Did you get a card in the end? Im sticking with my 7 for cyberpunk I think and will buy Navi in the new year when the retailers/manufacturers stop trying to bend me over.

Soldato
Nvidia launched Turing on the 20th September 2018. As expected, 2 years later, they launched Ampere. When was the last time AMD took the performance crown?
What does that question have to do with what I asked. You make it sound like Nvidia are known for releasing graphics cards exactly 24 months after the previous launch but that clearly isn't the case.

Associate
Did you get a card in the end? Im sticking with my 7 for cyberpunk I think and will buy Navi in the new year when the retailers/manufacturers stop trying to bend me over.
Looks like I'm in the same boat Vince. I sold my Vii while the prices where good, and my sons had my 3700x. So need CPU and GPU. It's a shame AMD broke yesterday so badly under £1100 for a 5900x and 6800xt delivered!

Caporegime
Nah. TBH I was busy on 6800 xt launch day, saw it in stock here, thought I'll be OK ordering later.

I was wrong :p - and I am not paying for an AIB when I want it on water :)

I'll keep my eyes pealed for a ref either in Portugal or the UK. If I can't get one, I'll skip and go for 7000 series. 5700xt is still doing a great job :) - well, I'll confirm/deny that when I launch Cyberpunk tonight at midnight :D

Permabanned
What does that question have to do with what I asked. You make it sound like Nvidia are known for releasing graphics cards exactly 24 months after the previous launch but that clearly isn't the case.

You asked if Nvidia just got the jump on AMD. If I word it another way then, why would Nvidia seek to get the jump on AMD when Nvidia have been so far ahead for so long?

Permabanned
I genuinely am pleased with what AMD have released this time. I know it is behind when it comes to RT but when RT isn't used, the cards fly along with no fuss or bother. Decent power efficiency also. I am a bit of an RT fan though, so it does hold me back a bit on buying but I will be playing CP2077 at midnight and see how my 2080Ti copes before deciding if I will bite or not.

I also think AMD have done a great job considering where they were. If Nvidia had brought the same card to the table, would people be equally happy? Would you yourself wish to swap a 2080Ti for a 6800XT that has less RT peformance and no DLSS support, a card that has no real dedicated hardware to run such features in parallel with the rasterisation engine?

If it had launched before Ampere then I'm sure RDNA2 would have done very well.

I remember you like RT, so do I. I feel Ampere delivers on what Turing promised.

Permabanned
Not sure if you intended on changing the subject. But I was referring to your complaint about nothing to compete with Turing since it came out in 2018. The point I was alluding to (and I'll spell this out, as it seems necessary) is that AMD were pretty busy recovering their business and taking over the CPU market in that time. Also on top of that, they've made multi generational jumps in perf with their GPUs and are now a legitimate competitor to Nvidia, whereas before, not as much. It comes down to each persons needs and wants rather than just default to team green.

You seem to have moved on to being salty over being disappointed about the 6900xt? And annoyed that it wont run RT on Cyberpunk.

If you want to play Cyberpunk with RT, then buy Nvidia. Simple as really.

AMD was comparatively a tiny company compared to Nvidia when it came to resources and availability for RND. They're also working on CPUs as well as GPUs. Its been clear its not been feasible to do make such progress with both at the same time. So they got one market done and are in the GPU market in the same way they were in the CPU market with Ryzen 3000 series last year. I imagine their next leap for Radeon 7000s will be something spectacular to see.

Not salty at all. Sorry if it comes across this way. I'm nursing toothache with pain killers and whisky, while being the 24/7 carer for my parents.

My point is that no company deserves our charity. We have a 3080 competing with a 6800XT around the same price point. Discussing the pros/cons of each is part of the graphics card section. My comment was to prompt the the question of why Nvidia would have jumped in early with Ampere after I suggested AMD should have targeted a much earlier launch.

Soldato
You asked if Nvidia just got the jump on AMD. If I word it another way then, why would Nvidia seek to get the jump on AMD when Nvidia have been so far ahead for so long?
Because they would have random people on the forums saying that they were late if they decided to launch 2 months after AMD;).
The other answer is that Nvidia cannot ever allow their GPUs to not be on top.
Or maybe Nvidia didn't want AMD to have the market to themselves for 2 months.
Or to get goodwill from gamers for "lowering" their prices.

Pick one.

Soldato
AMD fixed the issue with the Reverb G2 (so I guess the G1 should work now too)

6800XT is back on my list. 3080 / 6800XT whichever I can actually buy first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom