• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yea, JayZ2Cents went from being quite upbeat about the 6800XT to being completely down on the 6900XT.

And this is what he did.

Took out all the 1080P and 1440P benchmarks, where AMD does well
Took out Firestrike from the synthetics benchmarks, where AMD does well.
Took out Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which was the only AMD title he had to start with, took it out and claimed it was broken.
Claimed it used far too much power despite it using the same as the 6800XT and much less than the 3090, claimed it was tripping his power supply which is a known problem with the Nvidia cards and not the AMD cards
Claimed AMD's drivers are broken.

And then concluded it was a bad card.

I think he Cucked to Nvidia, sadly.

Man of Honour
Looks like I'm in the same boat Vince. I sold my Vii while the prices where good, and my sons had my 3700x. So need CPU and GPU. It's a shame AMD broke yesterday so badly under £1100 for a 5900x and 6800xt delivered!

Sounds about right, what's funny is this is the first "high" end AMD card I haven't owned at launch since 9700pro almost 20 years ago. I just simply wont be taken for a mug be that by retailers or manufacturers. There is no way the premium on these products over msrp/rrp is worth it.

Nah. TBH I was busy on 6800 xt launch day, saw it in stock here, thought I'll be OK ordering later.

I was wrong :p - and I am not paying for an AIB when I want it on water :)

I'll keep my eyes pealed for a ref either in Portugal or the UK. If I can't get one, I'll skip and go for 7000 series. 5700xt is still doing a great job :) - well, I'll confirm/deny that when I launch Cyberpunk tonight at midnight :D

Good choice I am thinking. Wait it out, get it cheaper. You just know that once there is some volume in the channel that you will be able to buy these again at msrp.

Caporegime
I also think AMD have done a great job considering where they were. If Nvidia had brought the same card to the table, would people be equally happy? Would you yourself wish to swap a 2080Ti for a 6800XT that has less RT peformance and no DLSS support, a card that has no real dedicated hardware to run such features in parallel with the rasterisation engine?

If it had launched before Ampere then I'm sure RDNA2 would have done very well.

I remember you like RT, so do I. I feel Ampere delivers on what Turing promised.
I understand your point bud and for the likes of us, it is hard swapping out to AMD when the one game I have been looking forward to seems to have the best implimentation of RT to date. I seriously would like the 6800XT but that RT performance is holding me back. A great card though and I do feel AMD have done well this time. Just a GFX whore like me wants RT on and the 3080 looks best for that!

Associate
Claimed it used far too much power despite it using the same as the 6800XT and much less than the 3090, claimed it was tripping his power supply which is a known problem with the Nvidia cards and not the AMD cards

LTT said the same thing, had to swap out their 1KW seasonic for a corsair https://youtu.be/b9ALYCuqtho?t=437

Come to think of it, was it not the seasonic units that had issues with Vega and 970s :confused:

Soldato

Joke Prod. is one of just a few who thinks it's relevant to provide benchmarks using games created in 2020 :eek:
I'm shocked he didn't beat AMD over the head losing to games from 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018. :eek:

When you benchmark current pc ported games it paints a completely different picture to the performance of the 6000 series at 4K. Which, IMO, is only a snapshot of what's to come.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
LTT said the same thing, had to swap out their 1KW seasonic for a corsair https://youtu.be/b9ALYCuqtho?t=437

Come to think of it, was it not the seasonic units that had issues with Vega and 970s :confused:

Yes they said it was a specific flavour and it was too sensitive to the pulses on the rail. Other PSU's suffer from this, seasonic were just open about it and got on with it.

Caporegime
Well it's good news that AMD will continue to produce the reference cards.

However, if they are the only cards that do not exceed RRP, that means scalpers will continue to buy them up and sell them at AIB prices.

And although they will produce more, they don't say how MANY more. AIBs won't like it if they have to compete with AMD, especially as AIB price is so much higher (for the same product!)

Caporegime
Good choice I am thinking. Wait it out, get it cheaper. You just know that once there is some volume in the channel that you will be able to buy these again at msrp.

Basically. i've got stock alerts setup here in Portugal for the reference designs. Will keep an eye out in the UK and send it to Dads if needed :p :D

Soldato
Dude, you take hype threads waaaay too seriously. We're just messing around 90% of the time.

No I do not and no they was not :p

They knew exactly what they were doing. Getting all hyped up before the product was even out thinking it would beat the competition. Because the RTX3090 is stupidly price and everyone know it is.

I was pointing these quotes out because now we have the official benches. None of what I quote actually turned out to be true, which is funny.

Man of Honour
Basically. i've got stock alerts setup here in Portugal for the reference designs. Will keep an eye out in the UK and send it to Dads if needed :p :D

I didn't even bother trying. I didn't ring any of the normal distis I would. I didn't do anything as I knew I couldn't be bothered with the hiked prices. I'm not paying a penny over msrp. In this market that means waiting.

Soldato
Yep, its a VERY different picture to what other reviewers show isn't it!

Did you even look at the video? It's not 4K, it's at widescreen 1440p and it compares a 3080 against the 6900XT not a 3090. And the results are inline with other reviews.

You really should do some fact checking before believing anything that EastCoast posts.

Soldato
Yep, its a VERY different picture to what other reviewers show isn't it!

I think that we've come of age were we mistaken influencers as reviewers. Giving them more credit of being fair then they really are. In this case tainting benchmarks to show the strength of geforce using older geforce titled games as a weakness to Radeon. By excluding those newer console ported games that favor AMD. This paints unrealistic picture of the 6000 series performance which will confuse novice into thinking that the game is somehow a bad port.

It would be hard to post this if Joker had not compiled a list of current gen games to show what AMD was thinking when they created RDNA 2 in AMD favored games. It was for current/future console ported games on this gen of console hardware.
This has been a current trend since the 5700xt which is now on the heals of a 2080. Which was unheard of a few months ago.

As you can see in Valhalla there is a 1 FPS difference between the 5700xt and 2080s. Not a 2080 a 2080s at it's designated resolution of 1440p.

Same thing with Dirt 5. The 5700xt with mature drivers is now a competitor for the 2080s!!

My point is that given time there will be a performance increase for the 6000 series. And it will come sooner rather then later. The reason why it took so long for the 5700xt to show these performance uplifts during it's lifecycle is because those ported games were released towards the end of the 5700 series life cycle. Thus only reliant to nvidia sponsored games that skewed the results of what is to come...nextgen console ports.

Now that we are entering into this era (nextgen console ported games) it is of my opinion we will see more Dirt 5/Valhalla/etc type of results for the 5000/6000 series. CB2077 is the outlier only because it's not a console ported game. It's a nvidia sponsored game which IMO will have blackbox code released on day 1 specifically to make the game work well only with nvidia gpus based on it's driver 460.xx released today. I'll be surprised if 6800xt is as fast as a 3070 in that game w/o rt.

Edit:
But lets absorb those results for a minute. With these newer console ported games being release a 5700xt is equivalent to a 2080 SUPER at 1440p (the resolution the 5700xt is designed for).
That's a peformance uptick of 2070 to 2070s then from a 2080 to 2080s. That's a 3 tier performance uplift.

Will the 6800xt, in mid 2021 be on par with a 3090 in certain console ported unreleased games at 4k? IMO, very likely. Stay tuned.
:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you even look at the video? It's not 4K, it's at widescreen 1440p and it compares a 3080 against the 6900XT not a 3090. And the results are inline with other reviews.

You really should do some fact checking before believing anything that EastCoast posts.
Yes, I did. Calm yourself :) I saw the 6900xt vs the 3080 against various more recent titles either matching or comfortably beating it. On press day drivers as well :) and we all know drivers mature over time very well.

If you compare it to older titles as reviewed by the likes of Jay, it shows the 3080 beating the 6900xt if I remember rightly. The point I was getting at is that this video hints at newer titles being better geared towards AMD GPUs.

1440p UW is a great benchmark for me, as thats what I play in!

Soldato
Yes, I did. Calm yourself :) I saw the 6900xt vs the 3080 against various more recent titles either matching or comfortably beating it. On press day drivers as well :) and we all know drivers mature over time very well.

If you compare it to older titles as reviewed by the likes of Jay, it shows the 3080 beating the 6900xt if I remember rightly. The point I was getting at is that this video hints at newer titles being better geared towards AMD GPUs.

1440p UW is a great benchmark for me, as thats what I play in!
Giggity ;)

But I understand. Which is why I'm not at all pressed about upgrading as of yet. I also use Trixx Boost to get a few more FPS increase to last me well into next year if supply doesn't improve until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom