Show us your kitty cats

Man of Honour
This morning we lost our ever so brave boy Garfield. He had been in and out of the litter tray all night but couldn't manage a poo. I woke up at 04.30 to hear him moving the litter from one end of the tray to the other again but he still couldn't manage one. This is not unusual for him which is why he was put on Lactulose to try to make his poo's less solid and it was working up until now. I went and checked on him and he seemed ok apart from not managing to poo. I was going to phone the vets when they opened to see if they could prescribe something else to help him. At 06.50 he was badly sick and again a couple of minutes later. He then went back to the litter tray and again couldn't manage one. He got out of the litter tray and lay down on his side next to it with his back legs tucked up against him and his back end started to spasm. He was breathing heavily and his little heart was beating like mad so I phoned the vets out of hours service and they told me to get to the vets just up the road for 07.30. Got up there and told her what was wrong and she took him in to examine him. I had to wait outside due to covid. I knew what was coming as I had a very bad feeling when I first saw him this morning. She came back out and said that his heart rate is through the roof, he's lost another 300g since 2nd November bringing him down to 3.2kg, she could feel a nodule on his liver and she tested his pee and found that it was just water so going in one end and straight out the other. He was very poorly and getting worse all the time so knowing that he has terminal kidney disease and that he was unlikely to come back from this I made the impossible decision to let him go. The last thing I wanted was to let him suffer just because I loved him so much so it was the right time to say goodbye. I had already given him a load of cuddles before we left home as I suspected this would be the outcome. I couldn't go into the vets to be with him due to covid but she said she could administer the sedative and bring him out to the carpark so I could hold him. That is no way to let him go so I said do it inside but please be gentle with him. I was already in pieces so I wouldn't have been any use to him anyway. She said she would stay with him and stroke him to the end. He is going to be cremated and I will have his ashes back in a little slate urn.

I always knew that this would eventually be the outcome but it doesn't make it any easier. My cats are my babies and I love them all very much but Garfield took things a step further. He was by far the most affectionate cat I have ever known and was always on my lap or on the bed with us. He would always rub his cheek against mine as if to give me a hug, he was just so adorable. People will say he's just a cat but I don't see it that way. My cats are like family to me and they are deeply in my heart, Garfield especially so because of the way he was so affectionate to me. I am going to miss him so very much and it's not going to be the same without him around. The house is so quiet. Jade is very quiet and sleeping on her sheepskin rug bed downstairs. Abby was out for a little while but came in and went around the house looking for him then went upstairs on our bed where Garfield normally is at this time and started crying softly so I went up and gave her a big cuddle and she cuddled into me with my arm around her and went to sleep. God, it hurts so much, I am heartbroken. Here is the newest photo I have of my gorgeous boy Garfield, may he be at rest.

XbmBx43.jpg

:( you did the right thing, but its always horrible. Good luck to anyone who tells me 'it's just a cat'. They're family and my best buds, I get more love from them than most humans.

Soldato
eQlf.jpg

Little Gato was already somewhat displeased that we brought a dog home a few days ago. Now she's having to deal with a cone of shame on top of that!

Poor girl!

That was a really hard read. So if it was hard for me I can't imagine how you are feeling. Pets, regardless if dog, cat, bird or rodents, losing them feels like losing a part of yourself. Anyone who says "It's just a X" clearly haven't had the privilege to share their life with one of those creatures.

I do hope you're feeling a bit better and have comfort in the fact you have Garfield the best possible life any cat could ask for! It was a really hard decision you made but you made it thinking of Garfield first and your emotions second - that's no easy task.

Give all your cats that extra bit of attention and I'm sure Garfield will be more than happy - Once he has finished chasing all the mice and sparrows in the sky!

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
@Mr Blonde Many thanks for the kind words, they are much appreciated. It's been 5 days now and I still can't stop thinking of him and occasionally bursting into tears and I'm 54. Jade has stopped being so withdrawn and is gradually going back to her old self and Abby is all over me all the time, even at night when we are trying to sleep!! It's still not the same though and is like there is a big part of us missing. Not looking forward to Wednesday when his ashes should be ready to be picked up.

I hope your Snowi and Timbo have a long and happy life. Strangely, my next door neighbour and good friend has a female called Snowy who is mainly white with the odd small black bit here and there. She has a huge fat male called Wispa too and he looks like a barrel with legs. Seriously, picking him up to remove him from the house almost gives you a hernia. :D

Only just caught up with the thread. Sorry to hear about Garfield :( I had to have one of my cats put to sleep earlier in the year too, he also had kidney failure, diabetes, arthritis and in the end something went wrong neurologically meaning he went blind within a day and unable to walk properly. So I know exactly how you're feeling, but with time it will get easier, and you dwell less on the decision you had to make and the last few moments, and start to focus on the good memories you have of them.

Man of Honour
Once again many thanks for the kind words from everyone, it really is much appreciated. It appears that kidney disease in cats is much more common than I thought going from the guys who also have kitties with this awful disease. I hope Jade and Abby never get it. I have to take Jade up for a heart scan on thursday as they were concerned about her heart rate at her annual check up two weeks ago. It was supposed to have been done last Wednesday but I couldn't go back having just lost Garfield. Jade needs this done as she has a fractured tooth that is about ready to collapse and they were concerned about whether it was safe to put her under to have the tooth removed. It never rains but it pours!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Once again many thanks for the kind words from everyone, it really is much appreciated. It appears that kidney disease in cats is much more common than I thought going from the guys who also have kitties with this awful disease. I hope Jade and Abby never get it. I have to take Jade up for a heart scan on thursday as they were concerned about her heart rate at her annual check up two weeks ago. It was supposed to have been done last Wednesday but I couldn't go back having just lost Garfield. Jade needs this done as she has a fractured tooth that is about ready to collapse and they were concerned about whether it was safe to put her under to have the tooth removed. It never rains but it pours!

I think it's quite common for older cats to get kidney issues, both of mine had/have it, I think it's because more cats are living longer than they used to, so we see it more. Although my remaining cat is very fussy with eating, which again is unfortunately a sign of kidney problems (lack of apetite) I've tried numerous kidney specific foods and she turns her nose up at them! So I just feed her food she likes, because if she doesn't eat, her sugar levels get knackered up and so it throws her diabetes and insulin dosages out, so I think, she might as well eat what she enjoys, she's 17, diabetic and arthritic, she might as well enjoy her twilight days!

Soldato
Why has she got the cone?

Nothing bad, so it's not that shameful really. Her pervious owners never took her to a vet so we've just had her spayed and chipped. She's doing much better today and seems to have adapted to cone life but she's just keeping to herself in the spare room at the moment.

Good news is that she is now fully vaccinated, spayed and chipped so once she has healed up and the building works move a bit further from our house we'll be letting her go explore outside

Soldato
Nothing bad, so it's not that shameful really. Her pervious owners never took her to a vet so we've just had her spayed and chipped. She's doing much better today and seems to have adapted to cone life but she's just keeping to herself in the spare room at the moment.

Good news is that she is now fully vaccinated, spayed and chipped so once she has healed up and the building works move a bit further from our house we'll be letting her go explore outside

Ah, thought it might be. My family has had female cats before and they didn't have the cone when spayed, they just continued on as normal and didn't seem to be bothered by the incision.

Soldato
Ah, thought it might be. My family has had female cats before and they didn't have the cone when spayed, they just continued on as normal and didn't seem to be bothered by the incision.

She doesn't seem to be too fussed by the incision or the cone at the moment. We have to take her back to the vets tomorrow for a 3 day check up and then again for a 10 day check up where they may decide if she needs it on.

Our bundle of joy Milo, he is just over 8 months old and already has a wonderful personality.

GY6gXTp.jpg

He is a Norweigan Forest Cat if you're curious as to the breed. :)

What a beauty! Hairy but a hairy beauty!

Back
Top Bottom