• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Soldato
I know its probably like blasphemy in here, but has anyone done any comparison in image quality and performance between ultra and the next setting down (high i presume) ?

That's kind of bugging me about the performance reviews. They're testing medium and ultra, but not high, and i don't really get why?

Associate
Bodes well for my 3060ti, not sure about my 1600AF though :D
Got to the open world part now can explore etc, outside in big crowds/markets my r5 2600 cant handle it! GPU usage drops to 50-70% while some of the cores hit near 100% usage, fps gone down to 50ish and can be a bit jittery. Reducing crowd density helps a little but not a lot.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a 3800XT as it was only a tenner more (£300 vs £290) than the 3700x price and didn't feel like paying £210 for a 3600, wouldn't feel like a big enough upgrade.

Associate
Now can the "it's only DXR" guys can explain how RT on AMD cards is disabled. How can you disable it if it is only DXR? :)
Still better than being enabled and watching reviewers fooling people that the 3080 is 5 times much stronger in RT when in fact they are comparing optimization vs brute force. Disabling the RT on AMD until optimization, was a smart choice.

Permabanned
Now can the "it's only DXR" guys can explain how RT on AMD cards is disabled. How can you disable it if it is only DXR? :)
At a guess, the game asks your system what hardware capabilites it supports. With a Nvidia Turing/Ampere card it replies RT and DLSS amongst everything else. With any other cards the reply will omit RT and DLSS. It's up to AMD to include RT in it's reply.
Still better than being enabled and watching reviewers fooling people that the 3080 is 5 times much stronger in RT when in fact they are comparing optimization vs brute force. Disabling the RT on AMD until optimization, was a smart choice.
As a 3080 owner, my jaw dropped. The game looks ******* amazing. AMD wouldn't be selling any cards if you saw how low the FPS would drop if they allowed RT. Yes, smart choice.

Associate
At a guess, the game asks your system what hardware capabilites it supports. With a Nvidia Turing/Ampere card it replies RT and DLSS amongst everything else. With any other cards the reply will omit RT and DLSS. It's up to AMD to include RT in it's reply.

As a 3080 owner, my jaw dropped. The game looks ******* amazing. AMD wouldn't be selling any cards if you saw how low the FPS would drop if they allowed RT. Yes, smart choice.
The devs don't offer support for RT on the AMD cards. Just like Nvidia can;t enable RT on Godfall, it is up to the devs to unlock the RT on Nvidia cards. It is not AMD's choice because they will also do that on Minecraft or any other bad optimized game.

Permabanned
The devs don't offer support for RT on the AMD cards. Just like Nvidia can;t enable RT on Godfall, it is up to the devs to unlock the RT on Nvidia cards. It is not AMD's choice because they will also do that on Minecraft or any other bad optimized game.

AMD locked Nvidia out of Godawfall RT. With good reason. Imagine the performance difference, while AMD want to sell cards that don't do next gen RT well.

Nvidia have not locked AMD out of RT, they have publically said so. That only leaves AMD refusing to turn RT on for obvious reasons.

Soldato
I'm just struggling to get the game running. Downloaded it last night, it patched first thing this morning, wouldn't start at all, verified the files and it downloaded another 20GB. On my old i7 860 PC which I am also going to try to play it on (for science) as well as my 3700X 6800XT PC it seems to find 200MB files at a time to downloaded!

Soldato
Got to the open world part now can explore etc, outside in big crowds/markets my r5 2600 cant handle it! GPU usage drops to 50-70% while some of the cores hit near 100% usage, fps gone down to 50ish and can be a bit jittery. Reducing crowd density helps a little but not a lot.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a 3800XT as it was only a tenner more (£300 vs £290) than the 3700x price and didn't feel like paying £210 for a 3600, wouldn't feel like a big enough upgrade.
Sounds like an upgrade could be on the cards for me too as I’ve noticed this in a few games now. Thanks for the info

Soldato
With my 3600x, 5700xt, 3600mhz RAM, getting anywhere from 35-45 FPS on Ultra depending on area @ 1440p. I’ve tweaked it to be a mix of medium/high and getting anywhere from 50-60 and with everything set to off/low in the settings, looking around 80-90 FPS

Associate
Wonder how this will cope on my PC with 3900x and 5700xt. Between this and the new MoH it feels like I'm going to need a 3080 or 6800xt sooner rather than later

Associate
AMD locked Nvidia out of Godawfall RT. With good reason. Imagine the performance difference, while AMD want to sell cards that don't do next gen RT well.

Nvidia have not locked AMD out of RT, they have publically said so. That only leaves AMD not wanting RT turned on for obvious reasons.

Stop being such a fanboy.
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-wont-support-raytracing-on-amd-cards-at-launch/

"Not for the release but we are working together with AMD to introduce this feature as soon as we can."

Associate
With my 3600x, 5700xt, 3600mhz RAM, getting anywhere from 35-45 FPS on Ultra depending on area @ 1440p. I’ve tweaked it to be a mix of medium/high and getting anywhere from 50-60 and with everything set to off/low in the settings, looking around 80-90 FPS
How about Fidelity FX (Dynamic Resolution) ? It should work just like on consoles and keep the frames up.

Permabanned
Stop being such a fanboy.
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-wont-support-raytracing-on-amd-cards-at-launch/

"Not for the release but we are working together with AMD to introduce this feature as soon as we can."

Fanboy, really? Look back at how I spoke of Turing's RT performance. @Gregster at one point thought I hated RT and then Nvidia. I don't mind calling a pig a pig, but here you are trying to put lipstick on it. Fanboy?

Now do you really think if AMD could compete with Nvidia's RT that they wouldn't have made sure the most anticipated title, perhaps ever, worked on their 'next gen' cards?

BTW. Both Metro Exodus and Control are running with RT on RDNA2, yet I don't remember seeing a patch for AMD's RDNA2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
How about Fidelity FX (Dynamic Resolution) ? It should work just like on consoles and keep the frames up.

interesting, in the same spot (comm tower at the start of the nomad path) it jumps from 45 to a steady 60 which I set the target to with a minimum render of 75% and max 100%. But it doesn’t look that good

Associate
https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1336953604704522242

This is how you can increase the performance on the AMD cards. Just like on the consoles, it will render the frames at a lower res when the scene gets crowded but it will keep the frames consistent.

Fanboy, really? Look back at how I spoke of Turing's RT performance. @Gregster at one point thought I hated RT and then Nvidia. I don't mind calling a pig a pig, but here you are trying to put lipstick on it. Fanboy?

Now do you really think if AMD could compete with Nvidia's RT that they wouldn't have made sure the most anticipated title, perhaps ever, worked on their 'next gen' cards?

I told you it is the same with Godfall. They only unlocked AMD cards because there is too much work to do to optimize the game for another architecture. The same is true for Cyberpunk. There is too much work to be done before they can release an optimized version for AMD.

Associate
Political answer - cyberpunk uses DXR extension, AMD is disabling cyberpunk Ray Tracing for its cards in its drivers - most likely they'll enable it at a later date when people have stopped playing the game so they avoid negative headlines

Do you guys have any brains? You can read the devs saying that they won't offer AMD RT support at launch but you keep saying that AMD disabled the RT.
Really you are worse than fanboys. :)

"Hi Marcin, what about RT specs for new AMD cards?
Not for the release but we are working together with AMD to introduce this feature as soon as we can."

Back
Top Bottom