Builder not providing FENSA certificate, payment dispute anticipated - advice please

Soldato
Local glazing company always prints FENSA logo on their local newspaper adverts. I never received a certificate when I had a new UPVC door fitted, nor did friends and family who have used the same company.

But do people really demand to see them when you sell a property? I suppose if the buyer is really arsey about but I expect most solicitors won't even ask.

My advise is, you didn't replace any windows or doors right? ;)

Soldato
What was the outcome? I'm in a similar situation at the moment.
You don’t actually need the certificate.....yiu can just go onto the fensa website, put in your address and just copy the cert number for the solicitor. If they require a certificate , then tell the solicitor no problem, the new owner can pay for one when they buy the house.
I’ve done that on my last 2 house sales with no comebacks

Soldato
Are fensa certificates a pre requisite or truly an indication of good installation?

Reason i ask is the house im buying has had a fairly significant extension, a large bifold door in it and a good number of windows (at least 6 windows) and they currently haven't provided certification. They may have building control certificates though (which i will be insisting upon)

Associate
no, fensa is nothing to do with the standard of install, just that the windows meet regs. the windows in my house that have certificates are fitted really badly, hardly any foam and the draughts are really bad that come round the plastic trims, only a couple left to replace now though which i'm doing myself with the help of my brother so not going to have certificates, no plans to sell at any point.

if they where fitted as part of an extension they were probably signed of by building control though so wont need the fensa certificates although we had a hell of a job getting the buyers solicitor to understand that after we did up and sold my grans flat after she died.

Soldato
Just get the indemnity insurance and that will cover you for all sorts of things.

In the end we paid an indemnity poilcy against the fensa ceret (insurance policy effectively) which came to about £10. Sale went through fine.

We didn't have any FENSA cert's for any windows (installed just after FENSA arrived years ago). We duly took the indemnity insurance via our solicitors and AFAIK, it was a total non-issue.

Working in mortgages now I sometimes get these queries from solicitors, normally its due to an extension or similar that didnt get planning consent or meet building regulations or whatever......and they ask if they can cover it with an indemnity.

My standard to response to anything like this is:

"As our acting legal representative in this matter, provided you are satisfied the proposed indemnity protects our interests as a mortgage lender, then we can proceed."

Our in plain English:

"We dont give a flying ****"

:)

Associate
Hmmmm, interesting, we had some work done on our house as part of a renovation which included the fitting of a french door to the rear of the property. Can't recall ever seeing a FENSA certificate though.

If it was part of an extension it will have been covered by building regs inspections for that so therefore you wont have one as the building regs cert trumps the fensa cert.

Associate
I've had windows replaced in all but one home I've had, and the standard of fitting has been poor even with Fensa or the other methods now permitted. In every case the gaps around windows were hidden with trim (very little foam filling etc) and so for my current home I went with no trim on the inside when replacing the doors and windows so I could make good and have a no trim internal finish.

Even with some gaps visible the Fensa company I used left huge gaps to the brick and relied on the outer silicone sealant under the external trim. They only used a little cheap (crumbles) foam in a few places where the gaps were too big to hold the sealant. This meant air from the eaves, cavity etc could whistle in.

This explains why previous houses with new glazing often had nasty drafts once any internal trim cracked its sealant, which is common as the trim is glued to the window and uPVC does expand/contract. In the current house some plaster had blown around the previous replacement windows with tiling outside (so no effective external sealing at all) and the damp air getting to it was the cause.

So for the new windows I took the opportunity to hack away some plaster, repair excessive brick/block edge damage, fill the remaining gap with a high grade acoustic flexible foam and then plaster/fill as required. The difference was staggering and the thermal camera and sound meter tests I did before and after confirmed the vast difference both with the new windows and also with a couple that were replaced to match even though they were fairly recent and had trim both sides.

In the cold snap earlier this week I did another external thermal camera check and when I compare with the neighbours houses it makes the effort worthwhile. Windows are sold on the thermal and acoustic qualities measured in a lab, but in practice they're often fitted rapidly to save costs and hence with little care about the gaps around the edge and how that impacts performance even with internal trim.

Soldato
Isn't the problem likely to be that the builder isn't FENSA registered and thus can't self certify? In which case is it to late for building control to sign off or indemnify.

Back
Top Bottom