How much to fit tyres in 2020?

Caporegime
I've got a BMW M140i so they came with Michelin pilot super sports which I've read are awful in cold and wet weather.
I was driving an M240i just last weekend - which was both cold and wet - and I was astonished as to how well it gripped when pressing on, it had Pilot Super Sports , at the rear at least - I didn’t look to see what was on the front....

Never mind what you’ve read, how do you find them? - I thought they were fantastic.

As for the original question, I’d pay no more than £10 for a tyre change.

Soldato
Just means I have more experience with getting tyres fitted. :D

Although when it's £5 or free its cos I take the wheels in, they arent on a car. £10 each if they're on the car.

I've never been able to find anywhere that'll do it that cheap around here that wasn't a mate done off the books.

I know of 1 garage that will fit tyres they don't supply and even then they're not keen on doing it, the rest aren't interested as it's just not worth their while or refuse due to insurance reasons.

Caporegime
I've never been able to find anywhere that'll do it that cheap around here that wasn't a mate done off the books.

I know of 1 garage that will fit tyres they don't supply and even then they're not keen on doing it, the rest aren't interested as it's just not worth their while or refuse due to insurance reasons.

People put tyre fitting through the book? :p

Soldato

Yeah I have similar problems around here. Gets even worse when you ask people about swapping TPMS sensors over from old wheels to new wheels, so many places don't seem to want to do it and those that do want silly money. I got quoted somewhere around £90 to change 4 tyres and TPMS sensors over from my old wheels to my new wheels - admittedly that was a mobile service so would have cost more than just going somewhere (if anywhere seemed interested in doing it that is) but it's still obscene.

Caporegime
Yeah I have similar problems around here. Gets even worse when you ask people about swapping TPMS sensors over from old wheels to new wheels, so many places don't seem to want to do it and those that do want silly money. I got quoted somewhere around £90 to change 4 tyres and TPMS sensors over from my old wheels to my new wheels - admittedly that was a mobile service so would have cost more than just going somewhere (if anywhere seemed interested in doing it that is) but it's still obscene.

Is that £90 for all 4? Driving out to you, removing wheels from the car, removing tyre and TPMS sensor, fitting both to the new wheel, balancing, and re-fitting to the car?

If so I think thats very reasonable to be honest! Bit different to delivering some wheels and tyres which dont have sensors in them to a local garage and then picking them up.

Soldato
Well normally I'd expect to pay £40-50 for just the tyres to be changed. TPMS sensors are really not a big deal to swap over and it takes barely any time at all so arguably that's nearly double the cost for swapping the TPMS sensors over to new wheels and the mobile service.

I don't mind driving somewhere to get it done but most places just don't seem to want to touch TPMS sensors which is irritating.

Soldato
Recently put goodyear vector 4seasons gen-2 tyres on my toyota yaris for £260 including fitting. Based on the price difference on black circles between tyres only and fitting included it was about £15 per wheel. Based on that I imagine you could get it done for less than £15 per wheel from an independent place.

Soldato
In my black friday black circles purchase (goodyear efficientgrip) they have a delivery supplement if you just want the tires,
and, then, adding £10/corner for fitting it worked out more expensive than paying for the fitment at a specific garage up front. ie. there was some cross-subsidy happening.

they came with Michelin pilot super sports which I've read are awful in cold and wet weather.
agree, I thought the autobild wet results were poorer for them versus the competition,(gyear/bridgestone) and, after buying some 10+ years ago, for a bmw,
resolved never again.

Caporegime
Well normally I'd expect to pay £40-50 for just the tyres to be changed. TPMS sensors are really not a big deal to swap over and it takes barely any time at all so arguably that's nearly double the cost for swapping the TPMS sensors over to new wheels and the mobile service.

I don't mind driving somewhere to get it done but most places just don't seem to want to touch TPMS sensors which is irritating.

I think the fear is that they will break and they'll then be liable to replace them, and they're expensive in some cases

Soldato
I think the fear is that they will break and they'll then be liable to replace them, and they're expensive in some cases

Indeed, I had it happen to me once. Tyre fitter didn't accept any responsibility and a new sensor from BMW was near the £100 mark I think. Luckily I picked up a used one for £25 or so that wasn't all that old so had plenty of battery left.

But that's a point in itself. I may as well just buy 4 brand new sensors now so they'll all have fresh batteries, pop them on the new wheels myself and then it's cheap and easy to deal with the tyres after. Not sure why I didn't think of that before :)

Caporegime
Never encountered a tyre fitter who has had an issue with them or even mentioned them.
Yeah well some people apparently pay £160 to have 4 tyres swapped over too :p

I've never experienced it (obviously, TMPS? Whats that?) but I've heard of at least one case of a garage not wanting to touch them, and several cases of tyre fitters breaking them and arguing about it.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure why anywhere would do it for free. At a minimum they are incurring the cost of a valve, tyre soap, wheel weights and most likely tyre disposal, before you even consider labour.
Removing and refitting (and then presumably balancing?) a wheel isn't a 5 minute job; £15-£20 seems to be the norm locally, with some a bit more than that.

In countries where winter tyres are mandatory, most people have a set of winter wheels fitted with winter tyres and store them for the rest of the year.

Soldato
Costco, £6+VAT per tyre. They take their time over it, clean all the faces and balance everything properly. Much better than the £10-15 per tyre I used to pay at the garages and usually have to go back to get it balanced again.

Soldato
Not sure why you would bother changing from PSS unless you see snow.

They don't have have the same level of grip as when warm, but pretty much all summer tyres have the same problem as it's to do with the compound itself.

As for wet weather, yes not as good as the latest tyres that have come out (in the last few years) but was just as good as most UHP tyres when it came out.

Soldato
I recently paid £60 for the wheels to be taken off my car, tyres swapped to another set and refitted. I don't think £15 a wheel is prohibitive for the time and equipment necessary.

Caporegime
Not sure why you would bother changing from PSS unless you see snow.

They don't have have the same level of grip as when warm, but pretty much all summer tyres have the same problem as it's to do with the compound itself.

As for wet weather, yes not as good as the latest tyres that have come out (in the last few years) but was just as good as most UHP tyres when it came out.

In this kind of cold slightly damp winter weather the difference between some winter/all season tyres and the very best summer tyres is still substantial, I'd say its worth doing if you can afford to do it.

Personally I'd get a second set of the smallest diameter wheels that will go over the M brakes and get some tyres on those.

Back
Top Bottom