Corsair H105 fans spin up but then stop

Soldato
About an hour ago my PC tripped the switch on the fuse board. I got the switch back and everything in my room came back on. However the PC didn't boot up and actually tripped the fuse again. The PC won't POST and there's nothing showing on my display and no beeps through the speaker to indicate anything is wrong.

I took the PC side off and had a look. I noticed that when I turned the PC on there is a line of LEDs glowing orange on the back of the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H) and I thought it was meant to be blue. I checked the manual and there's no mention of any lights being orange other than for the sound connectors.

I then noticed that the second fan on my graphics card (Nvidia 970GTX) wasn't spinning but I now believe that only one spins all the time and the other one kicks in under loads. However I then realised that when I turn the PC on the fans on the Corsair H105 spin up initially but then just stop spinning. I've blown the dust out to see if that was the issue but I kind of knew it wouldn't be. I've turned the PC on after blowing out the dust and the H105 fans spin up and then just stop.

Does this mean that the cooler has failed and needs to be replaced? I have a spare PC with an air cooler on it that I could transfer over but if the H105 fans have failed does this mean the CPU has been cooked and there's no point moving the air cooler over?

I've had this PC since January 2015 when I built it and no hardware has been changed in that time.

Soldato
If it’s tripped the breaker probably something wrong with the PSU in my opinion. Not really much else can cause that so could be worth swapping that over if it is still not booting.

LED’s on the board could be an indication of some power supply fault if they are supposed to be blue, a lot of boards are orange though.

Soldato
OP
I'm now not 100% convinced that the PC tripped the breaker. I swapped to a spare PC last night and I'm using it now. I put the PC in sleep mode last night and when I woke up the breaker had gone in my room again. The original PC wasn't plugged in at all and the spare PC was in sleep mode. I now think that something else tripped the breaker and my PC was a casualty of this.

The fact that the original PC turned on and just sat there without the breakers tripping makes me think the issue is not the PC/PSU.

Anyway I've got the spare PC working and I've ordered an air cooler to be here later today so I can see if the H105 has died by trying the new cooler and see what happens. I've got a few other things to try after work but my current belief is that something else caused the problem and the H105 might have suffered in some way.

Soldato
OP
I took one of the memory sticks out of the PC this afternoon and the PC booted up. I put the stick back in and it worked. I think perhaps one of the sticks had come loose and just needed both to be taken out and firmly re-inserted. :)

Back
Top Bottom