Brexit and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I would really like to know if possible, if a no deal brexit would result in a price increase on some, or more items on OverclclockersUK website. How many products are coming from Europe?

Associate
It wont be no deal it will be an Australia type deal and their stuff is well cheap.

I dunno if you're making a joke, but from what I remember when I was there stuff was really pricey and my buddy was complaining that games and stuff were super expensive to get, though I'm not sure about hardware.

Man of Honour
I would really like to know if possible, if a no deal brexit would result in a price increase on some, or more items on OverclclockersUK website. How many products are coming from Europe?
Prices will go up for consumers as much as consumers will tolerate. The price of everything seems to have shot up already since in the corona climate we are all living on buying that new shiny thing.

I would speculate a 10-15% jump in cost for many things. An uneducated guess. I'd be surprised if it was more than that.

Soldato
George my friend, it all comes from China and Taiwan.

The only issue is our ports ability to unload ships.

Associate
I am quite curious to hear the case for why prices might go up. I run a small business and it isn't going to have an impact on our pricing so it would be good to hear more about where tis will be felt. I'd imagine most consumer electronic come from outside the eurozone anyway?

Soldato
Food may go up, since quite a lot comes from the EU. I've heard 5% increases in food prices on newsnight is a possibility.

Soldato
I have a feeling that we may see a temporary price rise at the start of the year for a good few months in Electronics and anything large made in the far east.

Were currently dealing with crazy amounts of congestion at our ports due to covid, Christmas, Brexit & PPE Stockpiling and there is a bit of a crisis in China currently with a lack of containers which is putting shipping rates up to insane levels. For the last couple of years its been around $2000 to ship a 40FT container to the UK from China this has been climbing up to just shy of $10,000 in the last couple of days without any sign of slowing. These additional costs will make it to the consumer eventually until things return to "normal".

Soldato
All these prices are a small price to pay for blue made in the EU passports, just one of as many as three advantages of being outside the EU.

Associate
OP
Don't care if it's in or out as long as livelihoods are not affected adversely. Everyday I'm stunned with how pensioners think their money is in a safe somewhere waiting every month for someone to pick it up for them :) If they knew how invested and interconnected with everything pension funds are they would ask for another referendum themselves:)
Anyway, if we need to pay more as a result of Brexit that's already a big loss no matter how you spin it or bend it, like Bo or Beck

Soldato
You do know you have the option not to buy overpriced non-essentials right?

For example, I think AMD and nVidia are taking the absolute mick with their high end pricing. So I just don't buy the product. If enough people thought the same the price would come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom