What electric cars are actually available in the UK . . .

Associate
RWD has a downside though, you can't put as much regen through the rear wheels compared to a FWD (AWD is better again).

I suppose it depends on what you call enough regen, my rear wheel drive Model 3 has much stronger regen than my previous Leaf, enough that I can drive the 40 minute journey to work on twisty country lanes without touching the brake pedal.

Soldato
Maybe the kona kept fwd due to its ICE platform heritage too, but, rwd, especially on the vw, is attractive to me from a driving pleasure aspect (coming from a 3 series).
plus, resulting from the higher ev torque,torque steer, front wheel wear, must occur, despite electronic traction control (necessitating regular wheel rotation ?)
do any (edit:fwd) ev's have (smoother?) mechanical LSD ?
some of the kona reviews had mentioned torque steer eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rmdY7bP96Y

Ev regen benefit must depend on driving style, and, all ev's allow you to adjust it ?
after all, the recovery is not 100% efficient, so, if the car decelerates too much, you've wasted energy.

Like neil, but, in an ice, I'm typically using engine breaking(lift-off), and, shift-down, as opposed to the brake pedal, and, I'd like the ev regen to mimic that,
but in the ev, without the gear shift I suspect you are obliged to brake instead, if you want greater speed loss.

It would be interesting to see how auto drive on a model3 solves the problem adjusting speed coming up to bends on country roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Kona is apparently spins it’s wheels very easily on the front end without the traction control on and its default high efficiency tyres. Even at reasonable speed if you mash the go pedal.

Soldato
kona traction control issue might be related to the wheel sensor type, like it was for bmw i3 .... has anyone done a kona tear-down
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...rol-system-for-all-future-bmw-and-mini-models

I see kona ev has a recall pending -
https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2020-Hyundai-Kona+EV/safety/
https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/uv/hyundai-to-expand-kona-ev-recall-to-us-europe-over-battery-fire-risk-report/78614431

Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will update the Battery Management System (BMS) software and inspect the Li-ion battery, replacing it if necessary, free of charge. Owners are advised to park their vehicles outside and away from structures until the repair is complete. The recall is expected to begin December 11, 2020. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai's number for this recall is 196.

Soldato
I'm liking it's/ix3's active regen; he doesn't seem to drive on country roads to expand his comparison with x3 m40 (was it) manoueverability

Soldato
I test drove the new ioniq today. It wasn't really eventful, just a pleasant space to be in and drive smoothly. The tech in it is pretty impressive for the price of the car. I think I'm settled on one over the golf or leaf, I just need to decide PCP vs private lease. I'm also clueless about installing a home fast charge point.

Soldato
I test drove the new ioniq today. It wasn't really eventful, just a pleasant space to be in and drive smoothly. The tech in it is pretty impressive for the price of the car. I think I'm settled on one over the golf or leaf, I just need to decide PCP vs private lease. I'm also clueless about installing a home fast charge point.

Had an Ioniq a good while now, love it too be honest, out done my expectations on almost every level. Got it on mega cheap PCH deal, there was a similar deal on recently with Arval/Leasing options, but I guess it depends how long you intend to keep it for and what milage you want to do in it

Fast chargers for home, depends on individual circumstances, but if avoid anything that isn't truly smart and can't handle electricity tariffs that are non-fixed, and isn't firmware/software upgradable.

PM me if you like. :)

Soldato
Had an Ioniq a good while now, love it too be honest, out done my expectations on almost every level. Got it on mega cheap PCH deal, there was a similar deal on recently with Arval/Leasing options, but I guess it depends how long you intend to keep it for and what milage you want to do in it

Fast chargers for home, depends on individual circumstances, but if avoid anything that isn't truly smart and can't handle electricity tariffs that are non-fixed, and isn't firmware/software upgradable.

PM me if you like. :)
Excellent. Pmd!
I’ve pretty much give up on getting a home charger installed, stupid quotes (some over £1k) conflicting info on requirements, crummy looking things. Can’t be bothered with the faff!
Oh that's interesting. I'm getting around 400 quotes with grant.

Soldato
I’ve pretty much give up on getting a home charger installed, stupid quotes (some over £1k) conflicting info on requirements, crummy looking things. Can’t be bothered with the faff!

Pod-Point are £450 with the grant. Wallbox, Polar and most of the others are £500 with the grant. Is it a VERY complicated install? Or are you asking for an Andersen?

Soldato
Crossing a block paved path to get to where the cable won’t be a trip hazard and then there stuff like RCD or Henley blocks and some want Earth rods.

G6yZyyp.jpg

meter and consumer box on left of house near that wheelbin and I want the charger on the right of the window.

Pod point isn’t a consideration nothing smart about it, nor the BP chargemaster, both ugly and don’t want to have to rely on car scheduling. Also want a tethered to actually be less hassle.

Think I’ll just granny from the garage to start with and maybe go for the EDF 98 tariff. Longer off peak periods and all weekend!

Last edited:
Soldato
Crossing a block paved path to get to where the cable won’t be a trip hazard and then there stuff like RCD or Henley blocks and some want Earth rods. Pod point isn’t a consideration nothing smart about it and don’t want to have to rely on car scheduling. Also want a tethered. Think I’ll just granny from the garage to start with and maybe go for the EDF 98 tariff. Longer off peak periods and all weekend!

To be honest, £1000 for that sounds pretty reasonable. I was quoted £2800 for a similar install with a Zappi.

Caporegime
Crossing a block paved path to get to where the cable won’t be a trip hazard and then there stuff like RCD or Henley blocks and some want Earth rods.

G6yZyyp.jpg

meter and consumer box on left of house near that wheelbin and I want the charger on the right of the window.

Pod point isn’t a consideration nothing smart about it, nor the BP chargemaster, both ugly and don’t want to have to rely on car scheduling. Also want a tethered to actually be less hassle.

Think I’ll just granny from the garage to start with and maybe go for the EDF 98 tariff. Longer off peak periods and all weekend!

Podpoint is junk sadly. No smart functionality beyond simply viewing amount charged per session. No scheduling, no smart tariff support.

Soldato
I'm not convinced a "smart" charger is really that important, my ChargePoint charger is smart but other than looking at the app to see how many kWh I've put in the car for interest I don't think I've used any of the other features!

I thought most cars had built in scheduled charging if you need it?

Soldato
Zappi and a couple of others can “know” when someone like Octopus has their cheapest rates and turn the charging on accordingly.

What makes them smart apparently is they record what you’ve used and they feed back to your supply so if you’re using more than 32A at home they drop their own take back to ensure you don’t have a brown-out at home. The very cheap chargers (Project EV) don’t have that so they’ll quite happily overload your consumer unit. Which is a bit scary. One good thing about Pod-Point is it doesn’t need any earthing rods as the earthing is done in the unit.

And then I’ve found at least a couple of electricians who just thought it was an opportunity to rip people off with extra fuses, RCD units, CT clamps. It’s certainly really nice to climb into a fully-charged warm car and just drive off. As long as they’re knocking off the £350 I’d get it done because like all the other incentives it’ll disappear one day.​

Soldato
How does Zappi know what else is being drawn in the house (leading to a potential overload) inductive loop, voltage drops ?

Soldato
Current counter at the main impute I would assume. Zappi works well with the rest of energy stuff you might have in a house, ie battery storage, solar and pairs up with the Eddi to use excess energy to heat hot water etc.

Ohme is good as it uses an API so it knows the octopus agile rates and hence can charge when it’s cheapest overnight to get to a target state of charge by your departure time. Cheap too but an Ugly litttle thing, might just box it in to hide it :p

Back
Top Bottom