• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to disable 23/24hz as a supported option.prevent fullscreen games to reverting to this

Soldato
Hello,

I use multiple screens and primarily a tv, this tv support 2160p at 50 and 60 hz, but also 23/24hz.

I have the issue that a lot of games that do not allow refresh rate change/setting in settings, and they default to the lowest possible refresh rate of 23hz.

I can run windowed/windowless fine at 60 fps, but fullscreen in Skyrim special edition for example reverts to 23hz, which is highly annoying. Widnowed is annoying because it often doesn't lock the mouse to my primary screen...

Is there a way to kill/permanently remove 23 and 24 hz as comparable refresh rates for a screen?

Associate
You could try the “custom resolution utility” which i think allows you to modify the EDID of the display.

Not used it myself for many years but i seem to remember it could do what you are asking of it.

Man of Honour
Check driver settings, Nvidia for example has an option to force highest refresh available. Also check the config fules for the games concerned, e.g. Skyrim probably has an .ini file where you may be able to force 60hz

Soldato
OP
Check driver settings, Nvidia for example has an option to force highest refresh available. Also check the config fules for the games concerned, e.g. Skyrim probably has an .ini file where you may be able to force 60hz Also check the config fules for the games concerned, e.g. Skyrim probably has an .ini file where you may be able to force 60hz
there's pretty much always a way, especially fullscreen borderless, but I'm trying to find a method that saves time to prevent the PITA of starting a game and having in in 3640x2160 at bloody 23 fps.

Why would anyone use 23/24hz wehn 50/60hz is available, it boogles the mind, they shouldnt even allow it as an option. The only reason I can think of is when using an old gpu (e.g. gt710) that doesn't support 2160p at 60hz with multiple screens, but I have a GTX1080 so it's no problem.
Check driver settings, Nvidia for example has an option to force highest refresh available.
Where is that feature, I've looked everywhere but couldn't find it?
ou could try the “custom resolution utility” which i think allows you to modify the EDID of the display.
Also worth looking into, does it also work on digital screens like my TV?

Permabanned
Yes there is a way to delete them. I forget the name of the utility that can do it, I am sure someone who has a memory will post it here. Basically Windows reads the parameters of the monitor the first time it encounters it and stores it in the registry. It is possible to edit that information. What you are looking for is an EDID editor. They are mostly used to remove the top resolutions of 4K TV's which can cause a problem for gaming. This video does not deal with your problem but it may give you an idea of the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's just there in the Nvidia control panel "Preferred refresh rate"
I lack this setting, this is my config:

nvcpl.png

Is it the cable?.
No. I've tried various hdmi and dvi cables. I tried HDMI directly, DP>HDMI adapters, everything...

Desktop works fine in 60hz (as do games in windowed or borderless mode), and games that have refresh rate adjustment in setting also always allow 60 hz (and it works fine), it's the games that don't have a refresh rate setting in their own settings often default to the lowest possible at 2160p which is a PITA.
Yes there is a way to delete them. I forget the name of the utility that can do it, I am sure someone who has a memory will post it here. Basically Windows reads the parameters of the monitor the first time it encounters it and stores it in the registry. It is possible to edit that information. What you are looking for is an EDID editor. They are mostly used to remove the top resolutions of 4K TV's which can cause a problem for gaming. This video does not deal with your problem but it may give you an idea of the process.
Is anyone knows the name of the app please! 23/24hz is a ridiculous setting, no clue why anyone would use that ****. Need to permanently remove that...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It doesn't work like it should I think, under extended blocks there was a 3840x2160 at 30 hz, I changed it to 60 but it changed bugger all for windows.
Probably don't know how to use the app properly.

Associate
I can't pretend to fully understand how CRU works, but
  1. Make sure you select the correct monitor at the top (the one marked "active"), as there can be multiple drivers installed for the same monitor, especially if you've ever connected it to a different port.
  2. Try deleting the resolution rather than changing it.

Back
Top Bottom