Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I believe the policy was - and possibly still is - that Gig1 wasn't available as a solo product, the product code will exist on the system, but the idea with cable has always been bundle=cheaper and the more services you have, the better and it's one of the key figures that people get excited about from a reporting perspective... lets just say in a purely hypothetical world, not in any way shape or form related to VM that you'd be amazed what desperate people will do to hit a number. That's the reason for the restriction and the attempt at cross sell (not up sell) additional services as you can't be up sold on Gig1 till they do a Gig2 etc.

Well, looks like I spoke to soon. "Delay beyond their control" txt received. It'll be here tomorrow - which in all honesty I really don't mind either way, I'm in no rush and it works out better in a way to not interrupt WFH.

Soldato
Just phoned to renew contract... joined as new customer last year got ultimate oomph.... 3boxes/maxit tv/unlimited sim and M500 and international/unlimited local/mobile calls etc for £93.50 for 12 months.

Service has been fantastic and never had any slow speeds or issues.. but offer ran out and it went to £155 a month... just phoned and he got me down to £110 for 18 months which i went for. To be honest for the speed and tv package and data sim and calls its worth it for me!

I went to "i want to leave" on the phone options and got instantly through to a nice lad from oldham who gave me the £110 price without much haggling... i was expecting them not to budge from £155 after reading things here.

Soldato
I have seen on here that sometimes virgin upgrade people for free from 100m to 200m, does that still happen and if it does how often, I’m getting the full 100m, but like most people always want a little more :p:p

Soldato
I have seen on here that sometimes virgin upgrade people for free from 100m to 200m, does that still happen and if it does how often, I’m getting the full 100m, but like most people always want a little more :p:p

Historically the profiles were increased for everyone, however it seems to have been more about headline grabbing recently, for example M500 has just been bumped to M600 for free.

Associate
Well, looks like I spoke to soon. "Delay beyond their control" txt received. It'll be here tomorrow - which in all honesty I really don't mind either way, I'm in no rush and it works out better in a way to not interrupt WFH.

I'm being "that guy", upgraded went really smoothly. Disconnected the old modem, plugged in the new one. Had to wait for about 10 minutes as (according to the LED) did a firmware upgrade. After about 10 mins I could connect to its wifi. Put it into Modem mode, gave it another reboot and then finally connected to my router.

Upgrade time took about 30 mins all in; fastest benchmark so far is 900Mbps via speedtest.net, which I'm happy with.

Soldato
Having a very weird problem with my Virgin Media Business Voom 500 broadband. It keeps cutting out. Sometimes its only for a few seconds and other times it can be 2 to 3 minutes. It has only recently started doing this in the last couple of weeks so I have no idea what might be causing it. I'm tempted to ring up support to find out what could be going on but its such a hassle with Virgin Media that I was hoping someone here might be able to help. I have 1 static IPv4 and am using the standard Hitron router for business broadband.

Soldato
I have an SH3 which had horrible wifi issues a month or so ago making working from home next to impossible. I bought a Tenda AC2100 wifi router, put the SH3 into modem mode and connected everything in the house (15 devices!) to the AC2100. All seemed OK for a while but I'm having very poor upload speeds now and still getting some wifi dropouts even when sat right next to the AC2100.

So, sorry to ask probably an FAQ but:

1) Can a SH3 in normal mode still allow a separate router to connect as if it were a switch? I would be leaving the SH3 in normal mode but turning off the wifi on the SH3...

2) Can the SH3 in modem mode respond to pings? (Trying to use thinkbroadband to monitor but the SH3 is not responding to pings).

Soldato
I have an SH3 which had horrible wifi issues a month or so ago making working from home next to impossible. I bought a Tenda AC2100 wifi router, put the SH3 into modem mode and connected everything in the house (15 devices!) to the AC2100. All seemed OK for a while but I'm having very poor upload speeds now and still getting some wifi dropouts even when sat right next to the AC2100.

So, sorry to ask probably an FAQ but:

1) Can a SH3 in normal mode still allow a separate router to connect as if it were a switch? I would be leaving the SH3 in normal mode but turning off the wifi on the SH3...

2) Can the SH3 in modem mode respond to pings? (Trying to use thinkbroadband to monitor but the SH3 is not responding to pings).

1) If the (Tenda) router supports running that way, yes.

2) Modems don’t respond to pings from WAN, that’s the routers job (hint: probably need to enable that).

TBH you may have been better with a decent AP if you had a WiFi issue, replacing one AIO with another will give you largely the same result at this stage.

Soldato
Tenda now responding to pings. Thanks for pointing that out.

I agree the Tenda isn't great but it was a cheap way to see if the wifi problem lay with the SH3.

Funnily enough since posting that message I rebooted the SH3 and am seeing proper 10Mb uploads again. Does the SH3 just need a good kicking regularly?

Soldato
Anyone having issues with their connection in the Midlands area?
Yesterday it was iffy, today its terrible.. Its online it hasn't cut out but watching YouTube and streams constant buffering then it downgrading the video quality then back to normal again then buffering again :(
My speeds are normal nearly 400/37.

Soldato
Anyone having issues with their connection in the Midlands area?
Yesterday it was iffy, today its terrible.. Its online it hasn't cut out but watching YouTube and streams constant buffering then it downgrading the video quality then back to normal again then buffering again :(
My speeds are normal nearly 400/37.

Is the streaming service using UDP or TCP? Generally TCP is (or was) the more logical option, but UDP and Google’s QUIC (UDP based) protocol have advantages in some situations.

Soldato
Is that wired or wireless? It does sound a lot like their usual congestion issues.
Wired, I never usually have any issues In my area even during peak times but twitch and YouTube were horrendous last night, hopefully it's better today, il give the superhub a reboot see if that does anything :)

Is the streaming service using UDP or TCP? Generally TCP is (or was) the more logical option, but UDP and Google’s QUIC (UDP based) protocol have advantages in some situations.
I'm absolutely lost there sorry, I don't know much about networking etc :D

Man of Honour
Has one one else's Broadband Quality Monitor stopped working? my IP hasn't changed.

Seems to have gone off at 9pm.
Your IP might have changed. They’re not static. Double check that it hasn’t. If not it’s almost certainly a firewall setting that may have changed as part of a firmware update.

Back
Top Bottom