• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Associate
Does anyone know the difference between DLSS Quality, Balanced and Performance?

Don't care for the lowest one, Ultra performance is it? Not even tried that one.

It is weird, but while actually playing it is hard to see the difference between DLSS Quality and Performance for me. I get like near 60fps by sticking DLSS to performance, where as on Quality it is in high 40's but dips into the 30's when in the most demanding areas.

Not done a proper test so wondering what others think. By the way I am on 4K so that might be different to the experience people on lower resolutions have. But I am surprised by how well DLSS Performance does at 4K relative to DLSS Quality.

Basically DLSS renders the game world at a lower resolution than your target output resolution, and then upscales the output back up to your native resolution. The different levels of DLSS decide the relative ratio/multiplier between the rendered original resolution and your target resolution. In order of worst quality to best they are:

Ultra performance (x3 the resolution, x9 the area)
Performance (x2 the resolution, x4 the area)
Balanced (x1.72 the resolution, x3 the area)
Quality (x1.5 the resolution, x2.25 the area)

These multipliers are essentially for the vertical pixel count, square that multiplier to get the total area difference. So for example at 4k (2160p) the numbers look like this

Ultra performance 720p
Performance 1080p
Balanced 1252p
Quality 1440p

DLSS 2.0 does a good job of reconstructing images but in terms of performance vs quality it does seem to be a bit of a non-linear relationship. What it subjectively feels like to me is that the higher the output/target resolution the more aggressive you can be on the scaling without getting too much image quality loss. I think what is happening is there's a realistic minimum resolution that you can upscale from and still get a good output, that floor seems to be around 1080p. The implications of this is that the sweet spot for what is best for you depends on your target resolution, you see that reflected by Nvidia and developers. For example Ultra Performance mode with a massive x9 difference in pixels was added in DLSS 2.0 to explicitly target 8k gamers because even with such aggressive scaling the rendered resolution is still 1440p. If you look at the CoD Cold War DLSS settings it actually recommends this, Ultra Performance for 8k, Performance for 4k, Quality for 2k. And for Cyberpunk it looks like it's doing something very similar, the "auto" setting appears to be using Performance at 4k, Balanced at 1440p and Quality at 1080p.

I've been toying with different settings for Cyberpunk as I've been playing through and my conclusion so far is that for 4k gaming with a 3080 is best at Ultra RT preset and using DLSS in Performance mode. The bottom line is that DLSS performance mode will not recreate an output as good or better than native 4k, you can get that with DLSS Quality for sure, but the frame rates are too low. I'm really trying to keep the game above 45fps at all times which DLSS Performance manages. While DLSS performance for 4k it's not quite as good as native 4k, it's definitely close enough that it's a worthy trade off to enable use of Ray Tracing, the game is really stunning.

Soldato
Benchmarks up on youtube. Present scaling seems to work pretty well then. 1440p 3080: Ultra 73, High 88, Medium 104, Low 125 average fps. High/medium tweaking with RT+DLSS could be a good option for 90+fps.

Remember we're not talking about 1440p though - we're talking 3440x1440, it's about 33% more pixels. Hence my lower frames :p

Associate
As I suspected, pretty much the only way to get 100ish fps is turning off Ray Tracing. In a scene where I was getting 52-58fps, I get 95-100 just by turning RT off. That still leaves pretty much everything else on Ultra and DLSS at Quality. I tried changing the DLSS from Quality through Balanced and Performance, and it was only netting an extra 2fps per jump and an actually noticeable drop in IQ (especially the performance one vs quality).
With RT on, you'd have to be dropping stuff to low I suspect.. I tried dropping some to high/med and it was barely budging the framerate.. again 2-3fps jumps at most. Turning off RT is the only setting that had a tangible effect on performance.

Something is not right there, DLSS has quite large performance leaps between the modes, it could be it's not applying some of the settings correctly. I've heard mixed things about some settings needing a game restart for them to work properly, or it could be a bug. Either way saving 2fps per jump is not normal.

Ray tracing is uniquely demanding in the performance department and that's just a fact of reality, it's really computationally expensive so enabling it and getting hits like 1/2 your frame rate is normal, same can be said for WDL and other titles that feature RT effects, that's why DLSS was invented in the first place to allow you to use RT which you can only realistically do at low resolutions while having a nice high res output.

Soldato
Something is not right there, DLSS has quite large performance leaps between the modes, it could be it's not applying some of the settings correctly. I've heard mixed things about some settings needing a game restart for them to work properly, or it could be a bug. Either way saving 2fps per jump is not normal.

Could be needing a restart.. though the fps was changing and there's a notable drop in IQ for performance vs quality modes, so it was definitely doing "something".

Either way, I'm getting 50-70 which is smooth enough for me to enjoy and is giving me all the bells and whistles - I'm done fiddling, now is pure gametime :D

Soldato
2020: omg I just bought this rtx3080 and now I have to play using medium/high settings

2007: omg I just bought this 8800gtx and have to play using low/medium settings

:D

When Crysis was the too dog I played it with an 8800GT and the game looked PHENOMENAL and ran at a playable 30fpd at 1440 x 900p

Hmmm 4870 actually, could have sworn I modded it to hell and back with 8800GT

https://youtu.be/IVtao5wlXeg

HD4870 was the generation after launch too. Crysis did cause crisis for a lot of rigs! :p

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm guessing its because something has decided the manikin is not visible through the door/wall?
But then there is stuff under the mirror too that disappears.

similar things happen a lot with NPCs and dustbins etc but that was the best example I could capture.
I thought maybe it was slow/dying memory or something causing issues. I'll experiment a bit more this weekend.

its definitely not hardware issues

Check the videos in the link on eurogamer;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-some-hilarious-bugs-including-penis-clipping

loads of things disappearing, clipping, stuck animation, T posing NPC's etc

Soldato
its definitely not hardware issues

Check the videos in the link on eurogamer;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-some-hilarious-bugs-including-penis-clipping

loads of things disappearing, clipping, stuck animation, T posing NPC's etc

I had a bug after the mission to retrieve the robot. Once I finished I saved as I needed to go to sleep. Then when I started playing again it bugged out and the NPC I needed to speak to bugged out and couldn't be interacted with. Had a few T-posing NPCs,my player character becoming the baldy man when wearing head gear,etc. I am used to Bethesda games so it is a case of deja Vue for me!:o:p

Associate
Decided to get this on PC as PS5 version wont be until next year. Vega 56 with 3700X at 1440p on Omen 32 Freesync. Set to High and then turned down a few settings including shadows. Actually very good, getting lows of around 40 but plays very well indeed. I just wish I could get hold of a 6800 especially the sapphire pulse. Running 6 month old drivers as well, so hopefully latest will help a little.

Associate
Remember we're not talking about 1440p though - we're talking 3440x1440, it's about 33% more pixels. Hence my lower frames :p
Yes enjoy your ultra wide setup :) I suppose that's creeping towards 4K number of pixels.

ok The Tech Chap has tested RT+DLSS 1440 3080: Ultra RT present DLSS: OFF 38, Quality 62, Balanced 71, Perf 81, Ultra Perf 92 fps.

That's pretty good and hopefully will improve with patches/drivers.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Basically DLSS renders the game world at a lower resolution than your target output resolution, and then upscales the output back up to your native resolution. The different levels of DLSS decide the relative ratio/multiplier between the rendered original resolution and your target resolution. In order of worst quality to best they are:

Ultra performance (x3 the resolution, x9 the area)
Performance (x2 the resolution, x4 the area)
Balanced (x1.72 the resolution, x3 the area)
Quality (x1.5 the resolution, x2.25 the area)

These multipliers are essentially for the vertical pixel count, square that multiplier to get the total area difference. So for example at 4k (2160p) the numbers look like this

Ultra performance 720p
Performance 1080p
Balanced 1252p
Quality 1440p

DLSS 2.0 does a good job of reconstructing images but in terms of performance vs quality it does seem to be a bit of a non-linear relationship. What it subjectively feels like to me is that the higher the output/target resolution the more aggressive you can be on the scaling without getting too much image quality loss. I think what is happening is there's a realistic minimum resolution that you can upscale from and still get a good output, that floor seems to be around 1080p. The implications of this is that the sweet spot for what is best for you depends on your target resolution, you see that reflected by Nvidia and developers. For example Ultra Performance mode with a massive x9 difference in pixels was added in DLSS 2.0 to explicitly target 8k gamers because even with such aggressive scaling the rendered resolution is still 1440p. If you look at the CoD Cold War DLSS settings it actually recommends this, Ultra Performance for 8k, Performance for 4k, Quality for 2k. And for Cyberpunk it looks like it's doing something very similar, the "auto" setting appears to be using Performance at 4k, Balanced at 1440p and Quality at 1080p.

I've been toying with different settings for Cyberpunk as I've been playing through and my conclusion so far is that for 4k gaming with a 3080 is best at Ultra RT preset and using DLSS in Performance mode. The bottom line is that DLSS performance mode will not recreate an output as good or better than native 4k, you can get that with DLSS Quality for sure, but the frame rates are too low. I'm really trying to keep the game above 45fps at all times which DLSS Performance manages. While DLSS performance for 4k it's not quite as good as native 4k, it's definitely close enough that it's a worthy trade off to enable use of Ray Tracing, the game is really stunning.
Yeah, I agree with that. I decided to drop from DLSS Quality to DLSS Performance as I felt the difference seems very small when actually playing the game.

Associate
Could be needing a restart.. though the fps was changing and there's a notable drop in IQ for performance vs quality modes, so it was definitely doing "something".

Either way, I'm getting 50-70 which is smooth enough for me to enjoy and is giving me all the bells and whistles - I'm done fiddling, now is pure gametime :D

I just read you're on ultra wide, it could be that? It's not clear to me how DLSS handles non-16:9 aspect ratio rendering, I've searched for this in the past to see if multi-monitor and other niche setups are supported and can't find solid info on it, mostly speculation. It seems like it is supported in your situation in the sense you can enable it, but I can't help but wonder/speculate that a ML trained algorithm might need specific training for things like different aspect ratios and how that might alter performance and/or quality. How does DLSS fare on other titles, do you own any other games that can use DLSS? Out of interest what FOV are you running for super wide?

Associate
Hello guys. I bought Rtx 3090 Gigabyte Gaming Oc and console X Series X and monitor Aorus FI27Q. Waiting for rest parts of pc but will play on xbox this game.
But my question can i max out ray tracing when i will play on pc on Rtx 3090 and 10850K cpu? 1440P

Associate
Bit late on seeing this post but the original post sheet is kinda whack, im getting 75-85 frames at 3440x1440 on Ultra with ray tracing on and DLSS in Quality mode with a 3090 & 10900k

Soldato
I just read you're on ultra wide, it could be that? It's not clear to me how DLSS handles non-16:9 aspect ratio rendering, I've searched for this in the past to see if multi-monitor and other niche setups are supported and can't find solid info on it, mostly speculation. It seems like it is supported in your situation in the sense you can enable it, but I can't help but wonder/speculate that a ML trained algorithm might need specific training for things like different aspect ratios and how that might alter performance and/or quality. How does DLSS fare on other titles, do you own any other games that can use DLSS? Out of interest what FOV are you running for super wide?

I think Control's the only other DLSS game I've played with it tbh - and that worked flawlessly I think, I was always up in the 100fps range with everything maxed.

On CP2077 my FOV is set at 80, I think that was the default value? I usually lower it a touch but I've not really seen a need to in this.

Associate
Hello guys. I bought Rtx 3090 Gigabyte Gaming Oc and console X Series X and monitor Aorus FI27Q. Waiting for rest parts of pc but will play on xbox this game.
But my question can i max out ray tracing when i will play on pc on Rtx 3090 and 10850K cpu? 1440P

Not native res, no. But with DLSS you're probably good on quality or balanced which will look on par with native, with everything else maxed.

Associate
Aren't you CPU limited? Seems 4 or 6 cores really can't deliver and 8 cores really are a minimum requirement from what I've seen. Ideally 10 or more very fast cores seems the way to go and there's a very obvious significant difference if you're pootling along with 4 or 6 cores vs an oOC 10900K or 5950X.

I'm not convinced given that MSI afterburner shows nowhere near 100% CPU usage. And even still, a 3090 FE should be able to produce more frames than what I'm getting

Caporegime
Looking at hardware unboxed cyberpunk benchmarks, the 5700XT is pretty meh compared to the 3060Ti.

I don't understand why people are saying it's playing so well.

My experience matches hardware unboxed figures.
Are people just happy with less FPS?

Soldato
Looking at hardware unboxed cyberpunk benchmarks, the 5700XT is pretty meh compared to the 3060Ti.

I don't understand why people are saying it's playing so well.

My experience matches hardware unboxed figures.
Are people just happy with less FPS?

I had to change my settings to a mix of low/med/high to get 60Fps, I’m happy with performance/looks atm

I also tried out the resolution scaling option with the Sapphire Trixx software, think it’s a poorer version of DLSS, and that helped on high/ultra to get back up to 60Fps, but quality was worse due to the scaling.

Back
Top Bottom