Cyberpunk 2077

Soldato
Honestly, who in this day and age, still things all the previews aren't running on a top-end PC? You'd have to be a fool to think that what you were seeing was console footage - if they put PC footage up marked as "running on PS4" then that's a different story. But I learnt from Watchdogs, not to get your hopes up with how the finished console product will be.
I'm fully aware of that doesn't mean Dev should get away with it.

Regarding watchdogs well Ubisoft are a crap company anyway so that wasn't a surprise when it happened

Soldato
Whoops:

"The Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 developers stated that the 1,000+ NPCs each have their own "hand-made" routine"

Doesn't seem to be the case! Unless all of them were coded to just spend their day ducking down and putting their hands on their head!

Also, Playstation themselves uploaded this video as "PS4 gameplay" back in November:

(90) Cyberpunk 2077 - Gameplay Trailer | PS4 - YouTube

Soldato
I quite like being a patient gamer during times like this.

For good or bad I like being in the conversation, reading stuff, listening to podcasts etc.

Makes up for not having any gamer mates to chat with, the wife puts up with me telling her for a few minutes but then her eyes start to glaze over and I know she's hoping I shut up soon...

Caporegime
If you remove all the BS and chatter, and just played Cyberpunk not knowing a thing and never having heard of it what would you think?

I'd say it's a good game, great style and audio but some dodgy textures and resolution issues, pretty buggy too.

Some dated mechanics but some interesting ideas. A cool story and a big open world to explore, too many willies.

Basically it's a game, you may or may not like it, but it's just a game not the second coming like some seem to have hoped, ala NMS all over again.

It would appear to have been massively overhyped.

I think everyone was expecting something that rivaled GTA/RDR2 in terms of procedural immersive open world interaction etc but it would appear that the game has fallen short of this (and perhaps displayed just how talented a studio like Rockstar is).

Personally from what i have read and watched, it looks quite good fun and i will definitely give it a go next year when the Series X patch is out and all the bugs and dodginess is fixed. I have no doubt that with time spent on it the next gen console versions will rival the experience of it on a high end PC.

It doesn't look like it is going to be the masterpiece/gaming leap some were expecting though.

Caporegime
Genuine question, what do you expect from weak old hardware from 2013?

It's more about the dishonesty and deception that's taken place, who here would have bought it for PS4/Xbox if reviews told them it ran at 15-20fps? they hid poor performance, they hid the buggy nature and promised a day one patch that would fix (mostly) everything that reviewers were talking about but not allowed to show. The IGN video above looks like a game still in Alpha testing.

Last edited:
Associate
Despite how bad this look on a PS4, the actual world building is really quite impressive. I can only imagine how good this must look on an optimised system :(.

Soldato
I agree and people need to learn, but CDPR have gone out of their way to hide this, not giving out review codes for console, console footage embargoes and taking down any footage that made it online.

They know they've messed up, but will ride out the Twitter storm for a week or so and laugh all the way to the bank.

Hopefully people will take note for the next big game and take it with a pinch of salt.

I honestly don't see the issue - runs fine on my Pro, and though there are a lot of areas that do look a bit **** it's not game breaking. Granted I've only put around 10 hours in, but I don't see why people feel betrayed and want refund and the like.

Soldato
I'm enjoying it on my One X but it is a mess. I've had 4 or 5 crashes back to Xbox home(I.e. had to start the game again) at least 10 freezes where the audio carries on but everything else stops, random nakedness :D and other random objects hanging in the air etc. But like i say, I'm still enjoying it. :)

Soldato
not gonna lie I think it looks worse than gta5, yet needs 4x the resources. 16fps on a 1080ti, oh dear.

Sometimes developers need to be under a cut throat publisher, microsoft e.g. wouldnt let devs take 8 years to make a game and have these kind of issues.

Soldato
Genuine question, what do you expect from weak old hardware from 2013?

well for the first part the vast majority of the dev time for this game had ps4 as the current console.
second look at gta5 (which looks better) to see what can be done.
third ff7 remake another example, whilst ff7 remake had some weird issues, it ran properly from a performance perspective and didnt crash.

some times devs are just too lazy and they hope new hardware bails them out.

Soldato
not gonna lie I think it looks worse than gta5, yet needs 4x the resources. 16fps on a 1080ti, oh dear.

Sometimes developers need to be under a cut throat publisher, microsoft e.g. wouldnt let devs take 8 years to make a game and have these kind of issues.

LOL, Halo is on year 5 and only being made for a couple of consoles and they have nothing good to show for it.

Associate
Yeah true but they did admit they was struggling with the console versions on the older consoles and that was the main reason they delayed again wasn’t it ?

I don't think this was ever explicitly or openly communicated by CDPR, but rather speculation. Even if it was, “we’re struggling” is not the same as “this is what you’re going to get if you play on...”.

What is clear is that there seems to have been a concerted effort made by CDPR to deceive players by avoiding showing any footage from base consoles (with only a snippet from Pro/One X just before release), and only giving reviewers access to the superior PC version.

I struggle to see how/why this behaviour would be defended.

Soldato
LOL, Halo is on year 5 and only being made for a couple of consoles and they have nothing good to show for it.

Maybe, but I have examples as well, the jrpg's under microsoft studios and fable 2,3 were reigned in as developers took too long. Lionhead even was disbanded as they couldnt complete a game in time.

Soldato
I honestly don't see the issue - runs fine on my Pro, and though there are a lot of areas that do look a bit **** it's not game breaking. Granted I've only put around 10 hours in, but I don't see why people feel betrayed and want refund and the like.

I haven't played it but the Pro is quite a bit more powerful than the standard PS4 so presumably its mainly peeps that have the standard one.

Back
Top Bottom