Doom Eternal

Soldato
Just finished Doom Eternal. Bit of a mixed opinion on this but to sum it up its not as good as Doom 16.
So 10 things to bring up:

1) Gun play is generally excellent, there are a few encounters that were very frustrating due to issues at (2)
2) They introduce these encounters with rage monsters and to stop it you either have to find the sword or the main bad guy. These encounters suck ass.
3) Grenades are pointless and add too much complexity to the game.
4) Flamethrower is great but I finally figured out the gameplay loop for this by mid-game since they spent so little time introducing it properly.
5) The chain on the super shotgun was a hella dumb idea. I used it once when you had to for the boss but the rest of the time that entire weapon was not needed.
6) the last boss battle was not good but the others I quite enjoyed.
7) late game is much better than early game.
8) the chainsaw loop is frustrating. I don't want to be doing that to fire weapons it just makes the game unnecessarily clunky. Sometimes I would have fuel and it would refuse to chainsaw a minion.
9) I didn't mind the platforming, but there's some weird pixel perfect jumps in this game that do spoil it.
10) Monster variety was excellent as was the level design. However the two often didn't go well together and you would get caught in a corner and just die.

I found the game quite a chore to get through by the end. This game kinda makes you feel like a clumsy fool, but Doom 16 made you feel like a badass and I honestly believe that's why a lot of people cant get on with it.

Associate
Just finished Doom Eternal. Bit of a mixed opinion on this but to sum it up its not as good as Doom 16.
So 10 things to bring up:

1) Gun play is generally excellent, there are a few encounters that were very frustrating due to issues at (2)
2) They introduce these encounters with rage monsters and to stop it you either have to find the sword or the main bad guy. These encounters suck ass.
3) Grenades are pointless and add too much complexity to the game.
4) Flamethrower is great but I finally figured out the gameplay loop for this by mid-game since they spent so little time introducing it properly.
5) The chain on the super shotgun was a hella dumb idea. I used it once when you had to for the boss but the rest of the time that entire weapon was not needed.
6) the last boss battle was not good but the others I quite enjoyed.
7) late game is much better than early game.
8) the chainsaw loop is frustrating. I don't want to be doing that to fire weapons it just makes the game unnecessarily clunky. Sometimes I would have fuel and it would refuse to chainsaw a minion.
9) I didn't mind the platforming, but there's some weird pixel perfect jumps in this game that do spoil it.
10) Monster variety was excellent as was the level design. However the two often didn't go well together and you would get caught in a corner and just die.

I found the game quite a chore to get through by the end. This game kinda makes you feel like a clumsy fool, but Doom 16 made you feel like a badass and I honestly believe that's why a lot of people cant get on with it.

Grenades are most definitely not pointless. The freeze bomb is a godsend on harder difficulties for some enemies, especially the whiplash and anything else fast. 2 frags also do a lot of damage.

Flamethrower is used to drop armor, pretty sure the game explained that.

Chain on the super shotgun is awesome. Very useful.

Soldato
Anyone tried The Old God's yet? I've made my way to the first slayer gate and even after completing the base game on nightmare and ultra nightmare I've spent the last two nights trying to do it on nightmare difficulty. Getting my butt right kicked!

Soldato
I bought the one year pass today and redeemed it on the Bethesda launched.

It said code redeemed successfully but I see no evidence of it in the UI.

The game is not currently installed so I imagine if I re-download the base game again I will have an option to play the DLC?

Soldato
After my first impressions I just left it alone for six months, then when bored I decided to go back and try to push myself through it.

Nope, still can't stand the ammo mechanics. I don't want to be half way through ripping and tearing only to have to break away and go find some. I have no idea why they even needed to change this, when people wanted more Doom 2016 they just wanted more content, more demons, more levels. Nobody said to screw around with the game mechanics.

Oh, and grenades have never, ever, enhanced a single game in their entire history. Even the best implementations, like in the Batman Arkham games, or Rainbow Six, they could be removed without making the base game any less fun.

Luckily 2016 is one of my greatest games ever so I just jump onto that whenever I want to unleash some hell. Some of the levels like the Argent Tower are utter masterpieces of game design.

V F

V F

Soldato
After my first impressions I just left it alone for six months, then when bored I decided to go back and try to push myself through it.

Nope, still can't stand the ammo mechanics. I don't want to be half way through ripping and tearing only to have to break away and go find some. I have no idea why they even needed to change this, when people wanted more Doom 2016 they just wanted more content, more demons, more levels. Nobody said to screw around with the game mechanics.

Oh, and grenades have never, ever, enhanced a single game in their entire history. Even the best implementations, like in the Batman Arkham games, or Rainbow Six, they could be removed without making the base game any less fun.

Luckily 2016 is one of my greatest games ever so I just jump onto that whenever I want to unleash some hell. Some of the levels like the Argent Tower are utter masterpieces of game design.

It's funny because I've seen Doom Eternal dying out for sometime now. Most played it once and that was it. Most I've seen has moved on to other games, including the ones who are Doom fanatics.

Yet I still see the sponsored streams trying to push Doom Eternal as if it is still relevant. Trying to promote it as if it was launched yesterday.

Soldato
When are we getting the next Doom, and what more can it offer?
A move away from Eternal gameplay (weak spots, limited ammo, horrible neon colours etc) and doing a mix of Doom 2016 and the originals with more emphasis on lots of enemies at once would suit me just fine :)

Soldato
Well.. I just bought this game yesterday, and requested a refund. I have tried it for about 30 minutes which is not a lot, but frankly, it seems terrible. It seems like a cheap Doom clone rather than an ID game. Seems arcadey mixed in with what seem like pretty poor graphics IMO. The last Doom game seemed so much better.

Having watched some video's and of it, listening to the sound track for some time.. how in the hell was this a 60 dollar game at some point. I buy the games for the campaign mode (no interest in multiplayer doom anymore, too many decent more engaging MP games out there), and was left woefully short on experience.

Surely I can't be the only one. I seem pretty scathing, but I don't feel unjustly.

Associate
Well.. I just bought this game yesterday, and requested a refund. I have tried it for about 30 minutes which is not a lot, but frankly, it seems terrible. It seems like a cheap Doom clone rather than an ID game. Seems arcadey mixed in with what seem like pretty poor graphics IMO. The last Doom game seemed so much better.

Having watched some video's and of it, listening to the sound track for some time.. how in the hell was this a 60 dollar game at some point. I buy the games for the campaign mode (no interest in multiplayer doom anymore, too many decent more engaging MP games out there), and was left woefully short on experience.

Surely I can't be the only one. I seem pretty scathing, but I don't feel unjustly.

Poor Graphics? Are you Stevie Wonder?

30 mins is hardly a good effort. Each to their own i guess. I see why people don't like it, if ya not very good at games it would be easy to not like its fast pace.

Soldato

The graphics are anything but poor, they are some of the best out there currently and has been covered extensively.
The last Doom game was better for sure, but I cant see how 30 mins of playing got you to that point, and whilst I was disappointed with the experience overall because of the changes, it still had enough of a pull and enjoyment factor that I put the time in to complete it which I rarely do with games nowadays.

Man of Honour

I agree that the previous Doom was better but you and I clearly vastly disagree on what constitutes "pretty poor graphics"

Soldato
Poor Graphics? Are you Stevie Wonder?

30 mins is hardly a good effort. Each to their own i guess. I see why people don't like it, if ya not very good at games it would be easy to not like its fast pace.

I typically play shooters, thats what I do. I play competitive Apex Legends mostly, so it nothing to do with fast pace. But sure, I'm not very good... Again, I loved the previous Doom, how it played, the story, graphics.

The continual info nagging, the cheap looking ammo/armour graphics.

I was reading others who said it looked bad, and turned out it was adaptive res. I cant check now as refunded and uninstalled . I had watched videos for months prior to playing and was left disappointed. I cant recall ever asking for a refund for a game that wasn't for a technical issue.

But anyway, the really basic level layout, platforms, cheap usage of climbing. Only on hurt me plenty setting and ammo was crazy limited. That was even with doing finishers on most things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, finally got around to playing this. Just for reference, I've played every Doom and Quake game since around 1994.

Basically, I love this game to bits. Way better than 2016, in my opinion. The way you have to farm ammo, health and shards really adds another dimension to the combat, without taking away from the satisfying carnage of 2016.

The platforming stuff I'm pretty "meh" about. It's quite fun sometimes, but doesn't add much to the game overall.

I just can't believe how well it runs. I feel like it's even smoother than 2016, but looks quite a bit better. Gotta love id game engines.

I'm going to give it a solid 9/10!

CONTROVERSIAL PART: I hate the music. In this and 2016 I reduce the music volume to about 10%

Soldato
I got to a part where you just get flooded with really tough monsters all at once, died repeatedly and couldn't be bothered to continue. Not a patch on doom 2016 which I finished and thoroughly enjoyed. A real shame.

Back
Top Bottom