Renew licence just a tax.

Soldato
Sorry, bit of a rant over anything else.

Had a letter through I had to renew my licence because the one I have is 10 years old. I cant think of any other reason one would have to do this other than the photo getting old and not being a good likeness as you age.

So......

You can do it online, if you have a valid passport, they take the photo from your passport and use that on your new driving licence.

My passport was issued in April 2011 and my current driving licence in Jan 2011. So they are going to "update" my driving licence with a photo that is as old as my current photo, and I have to pay £14 for the pleasure.

Caporegime
£14 every 10 years? Hardly worth it as a tax.

It is probably to ensure you have an up to date picture, but it hasn't been completely thought through because some people (you) will try and trick the system instead of doing what you're supposed to do. :p

Soldato
OP
£14 every 10 years? Hardly worth it as a tax.

It is probably to ensure you have an up to date picture, but it hasn't been completely thought through because some people (you) will try and trick the system instead of doing what you're supposed to do. :p

But I am not "tricking them" I am following their own guidelines. It's not the cost so much, it the fact it money that is literally achieving nothing.

Soldato
Name, address, signature, photo... all things about a person that can easily change in 10 years, and which many people forget to update when required.
This is more like a prompt for such people, as well as a few beer tokens for the Gov, in maintaining a principal form of ID... and because it's a £1,000 fine if your deets are incorrect.

Technically it should be a recent photo, and you will have to send a new one when your passport needs doing anyway.

Soldato
OP
Name, address, signature, photo... all things about a person that can easily change in 10 years, and which many people forget to update when required.
This is more like a prompt for such people, as well as a few beer tokens for the Gov, in maintaining a principal form of ID... and because it's a £1,000 fine if your deets are incorrect.

Technically it should be a recent photo, and you will have to send a new one when your passport needs doing anyway.

I suppose, they dont udate your signature either btw. The rest of my details were the same, so again, in my situation is was £14 to achieve absolutely nothing.

But I can see your point.

Soldato
Thats odd I wonder if they relaxed the rules (they have big backlogs so may well have), I remember last time I renewed mine the passport photo had to be relatively recent if being used for driving licence to avoid the situation the OP says he could use.
In my mind I have 5 years as the cut off
It's daft though as I am 34, and I suspect the picture from when I was 16/17 looks the same (apart from slight thinning of hair and greying, but black and white photos will hide that last bit:p).

Associate
Looks like you just missed out there:

If your licence expires between 1 February and 31 December 2020

Your driving licence or entitlement to drive in the UK will be automatically extended for 11 months. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.

You will not get a new licence as part of the automatic extension. You’ll only get a new licence when you renew it.

You can renew your licence online at any time before the extension ends.

Back
Top Bottom