x99 issues - hanging or not booting and then even after fixing.. Same.

Soldato
Can anyone give me some thoughts on this.

Asus x99 Sabretooth Motherboard / 5930 CPU / 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

I have bought an x99 bundle and I am having non stop issues with it.

I have phoned the guy up and he walked me through a few things, and sure enough they seemed to help.

He is telling me that the x99 has a few niggles etc but its solid once you pass them. Now, I wwill freely admit that I dont have an X99 setup other than this one, but I do own over a dozen systems, and I used to be a PC Technician until my accident and so I am not ignorant to things, but, I do have issues and so Iwas happy to listen to what he told me, and sure enough we did get it up and running, I have downlaoded a fresh Windows 10 ISO and installed it and it was running right, and I downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS on that very machine and I have installed them drivers and it was able to shut down and restart 4 times last nigth, and for about an hour, it ran fine, where previously, it would crash within a few minutes.

Then, this morning, I started it back up and it was back to square one.

I have not been able to get it to boot past the TUF logo.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issues can be, or could I have been sold a duffer?

One the phone the guy was nice and clear, if a little too sure, but I am also knowledgeable enough to know, that I dont know much and so I am happy to accept his input, and I want so much to believe that he is right, but as I said, I have been a PC Technician, and I ran my own business until I had my accident and while I now do it as a hobby, I do know that these issues I am having do point to failures and not to issues in a design.

Oh, and every BSOD has shown a different error too, so tracking the errors is showing to be hard to pin point a single cause.

I am honestly lost, and want outside help.

Man of Honour
Without knowing the details of what was done, BSODs and Windows boot issues usually point to memory, I assume you have got it running at the correct (or stock) frequency and voltage?

Have you tried loading onto a different SSD/HDD just to rule that out too?

When you say it would crash within a few minutes, I assume you mean more BSODs?

What parts of the system are known good? (e.g. psu, graphics?)

Soldato
OP
At stock, it works, ghets to the desktop and then in about a minute, no matter what I do or dont do, it hangs.

There is 2 XMP Profiles and when I select the 2800Mhz one, it does the same.

I have selected the 2600 Mhz one now and this seems to be a lot more stable.

There is NOTHING that I have added to the setup.

The bundle, a new SSD ( But other SSDs do the same ) and my Keyboard and Mouse ( Gskill MK780/KM780 ) but I have also used a basic generic keyboard and a Logitech G510s and they made no difference.

Right now, its seemingly running ok.

I had a check at the spec on the RAM and they are 2666Mhz and so I have setup with the 2600 profile and that seemed to be making life better.

The setup is currently fully setup with all the drivers, some I downloaded but tere was 30+ other BASE DEVICE things that I have never seen such a huge list on anything, and they have been sorted out with the latest drivers from the SDI installer.

I have managed to run 3DMArk06 on 8GB and then I added the rest of the RAM and I re-ran it and its survived those tests and so far... its looking good.

I have never had such a hard board to sort out as this one, and even building Hackintoshes has been easier to do than this...

So, on to the questions...

SSD/HD - Yes, I tried a few.

BSODs - Yes, all gave completely different errors and so yes, that was pointing to memory issues.

What parts are good?
Admittedly, the Mobo has an 8 pin and a 4 pin socket for the extra CPU Power and I did not use the 4 pin one.
I contacted Asus and they told me that its not necessary with the CPU in there, however, by the time they did contact me, I have made one and it is being powered.
The PSU I am using is an XFX750 and I have used a Corsair 1000 and a sEasonic 1200 and they are all showing flawless stable lines. The PSUs are rock solid.
I was using a 660TI however just to get it running well, I went and used an ATI 6450 as that is almost new and hardly used from a media PC and again, thats a perfect GFX card. I am using no other hardware at this time.

As I said... with that other, slower XMP Profile, its running much much more stable.

Maybe its fully sorted, and only time will tell.

I got a mate coming over tomorrow... He has done some serious overclocking with me in the past and he has a couple of x99 and better boards and he will know what the plan is more than I. I have never had one of these things before.

Man of Honour
It's certainly pointing to the memory being the problem!

The hangs at stock are weird though, since I assume stock is only 2133.

It could be that the motherboard increases voltages other than memory, when you enable XMP, but not enough to be stable above 2666. I think some Ryzen boards automatically do this, not sure about Intel.

Soldato
OP
Motherboard increases volts other than RAM?

Plausible, as when I set the Profile to the slower one, maybe its setting them to X and not adjustin, where AUTO may adjust on the fly?

Its stable right now and so I mgoing to do a swap about ( probably tromorrow now ) and Im going to get this into a different case ( Mine ) and put another setup into my mates case so that at least I can play about with this over a longer time without feeling the need to get him sorted and therefore I wont be rushing to get it done.... It will go into my big Linux PC as I dont often use that anymore. It wont be so bad if I am having to fiddle about with it.

Man of Honour
Part of the reason I'm thinking about it is because you're using 4 sticks, sometimes that needs a bit extra (including/excluding RAM volts), especially at high frequencies. But, I'm not sure if 2666 is considered a high frequency for X99.

Soldato
With my Gigabyte X99 board I can pretty much throw anything into it and it boots fine.

As it's 4 channel, memory you need to make sure you have the dimms in the correct 4 of the 8 sockets so you have 1 Dimm per channel.
The base memory frequency should be fine, however XMP proifiles can be troublesome depending on which platform they were qualified.

You can also get issues if you are too agressive with the heatsink and tighten it unevenly as it distorts the socket.

Have you run memory tests for a few hours?

Soldato
One common issue I had with X99 motherboards was Win10 booting would hang at the spinning stars. Then reboot. Quite misleading until I found one answer.

So one thing to try is to disable the sleep states under the advanced CPU BIOS settings. I used to just enable C1 if I remember correctly which still allowed turbo mode under Windows.

There was usually 3 settings and the top one was left enabled (been a while). I'm sure windows 10 changed over time and this started to happen more with certain combos of hardware.

Soldato
OP
I am at a state now that I feel the setup is stable.

I am not going to lie, I absolutely hate this setup. I wanted to keep it and give my mate a more stable setup that would be better, purely because this has the potential of getting a much better CPU in it, but frankly, I already have other setups that do that and so sod it.

Its running nicely though and thats the good news.

Running it at stock, gets it playing but yeah, it hangs more times than anything and thats weird, but with the lower end XMP Profile, it seems to be running about right.

I have told my mate however, that once he has it... Im done with it.

I will swap it for the I5-6600K bundle I got and to be hones,t he would love that, but otherwise, Im not messing about like I have done.

Cheers guys.

Associate
I am at a state now that I feel the setup is stable.

I am not going to lie, I absolutely hate this setup. I wanted to keep it and give my mate a more stable setup that would be better, purely because this has the potential of getting a much better CPU in it, but frankly, I already have other setups that do that and so sod it.

Its running nicely though and thats the good news.

Running it at stock, gets it playing but yeah, it hangs more times than anything and thats weird, but with the lower end XMP Profile, it seems to be running about right.

I have told my mate however, that once he has it... Im done with it.

I will swap it for the I5-6600K bundle I got and to be hones,t he would love that, but otherwise, Im not messing about like I have done.

Cheers guys.

Hi Mate, I would disable the XMP profile and set timings and speed manually and of course the voltages.
The XMP does cause issues with X99 well it does on my system.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom