Cyberpunk 2077

Caporegime
OP
Yep, for sure but I'm not sure how they're going to deal with the fallout from the issues on PS4 and Xbox One S. I understand it's been in development for a long time but seeing what Rockstar achieved with RDR2 makes it inexcusable that it looks and runs as badly as it does on those platforms, regardless of their age. The PC argument is moot because they release required and minimum specs for a PC so you set your expectations based on your hardware. The fact is that you buy the game for consile and it has an Xbox One or a PS4 label and you expect it would run at 30fps and still look pretty decent. Not the blurred messy slideshow that people are getting.

From some posts on Reddit I've also seen that the new patch yesterday hasn't fixed issues people are having on the PS4, and has actually broken the Steam version for many. It's absolutely dire and I don't know how they'll restore themselves after this. It would be a different story if the patch yesterday had sorted things out because they'd missed some major fixes in the launch day patch or they didn't make it through QA in time for launch. That's not the case here though. It's just blow after blow.

theyll handle it exactly like R* did with GTA V, they’ll say some updates/features will only come to PC/XSX/S and PS5.

Associate
theyll handle it exactly like R* did with GTA V, they’ll say some updates/features will only come to PC/XSX/S and PS5.
Not sure if this is a dig at R*
GTA V...... PS3/x360,PS4/xbone,PS5/series and PC.
Released and supported on all of them and due another feature update for the new consoles and PC all in less time than it took CD to make this POS.

Soldato
My initial plan was to have one playthrough and then come back for a next gen playthrough in a few months. For me the bugs are barely noticeable but there are other things that bother me which will either never get fixed as its hardcoded in the game or will take about a year to change. Examples:

1. The idea that the 3 different starts will give you a different experience is total rubbish. The 3 starts go as far as the the introduction then all paths converge very early on. Aside from a few different ways you can say a sentence this is not "choice".

2. There is some serious out dated coding. The paths of cars and pedestrians walking into each other. Binary 1 vs 0 options of crowds to things happening around them. These are not bugs. This is lazy coding.

3. The world initially felt immersive. And at points it still is with the sounds and views. However, it's very superficial. There isn't actually much that you can interact with aside from a handful of vending machines. Even when you go to buy and eat something it's a transaction in an inventory pop-up screen rather than something that is animated. GTA had much much more to do.

4. If you look at skill ups review he covers the crafting and skills level up issues. Again not bugs. More laziness and poor design choices.

I've got as far as act 2. I've still enjoyed it albeit not an AAA experience. Maybe I havent given it enough time who knows?

I might give it another few hours but so far its felt very linear and superficial rather than the "next generation open world" game CDproject red touted.
I am a huge cd project and witcher fan boy. But they've missed the mark here.

7/10 in current state.

Soldato
What does depth of field do?

Is it the one that blurs distant objects, I have it disabled currently and distant objects like mountains look rubbish so perhaps enabling will hide the dodgy graphics.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure if this is a dig at R*
GTA V...... PS3/x360,PS4/xbone,PS5/series and PC.
Released and supported on all of them and due another feature update for the new consoles and PC all in less time than it took CD to make this POS.

no, it’s not a dig at all, I am saying that just like R* did with the 360/PS3 (dropping updates for that game) is more than likely what CDPR will do here. I am surprised you thought I was giving R* a dig there.

Soldato
I'm guessing its going to turn out more of a management problem that a developmental one. If you let the developers lead i'm pretty sure they'll just create and create, work on new ideas, develop new things etc. They are naturally creative people after all. So if the management don't stick hard deadlines on things they'll just keep creating stuff 95% finished rather than creating a smaller amount of stuff that is 100% complete.

Or they just don't care and we are beta testers. :D I wonder how much input there was from Nvidia to just get it out? So they could showcase their GPU's power... (Compared to AMD's GPU and console power)

Associate
no, it’s not a dig at all, I am saying that just like R* did with the 360/PS3 (dropping updates for that game) is more than likely what CDPR will do here. I am surprised you thought I was giving R* a dig there.
just the way I read it probably it.
CDprojekt have a lot of work on their hands to fix last gen(PS4 etc) and update for next gen and PC. They cannot afford to drop PS4/Xbone yet as most people have not upgraded and probably won't until mid/late next year.
And by that time the damage could be done unless they have some major content to bring people back but again that would require too much work.

Caporegime
I'm guessing its going to turn out more of a management problem that a developmental one. If you let the developers lead i'm pretty sure they'll just create and create, work on new ideas, develop new things etc. They are naturally creative people after all. So if the management don't stick hard deadlines on things they'll just keep creating stuff 95% finished rather than creating a smaller amount of stuff that is 100% complete.

Or they just don't care and we are beta testers. :D I wonder how much input there was from Nvidia to just get it out? So they could showcase their GPU's power... (Compared to AMD's GPU and console power)

There appeared to be far too much linked advertising for this game. I imagine that played a part and forced their hand to release before Christmas (maybe advertisement/affiliate contracts had deadlines etc)

Soldato
I still jump in to GTA V every now and then and i will say that for a 7 year old game its pretty impressive still and Cyberpunk does fall a bit short compared to it in the world itself and performance on similar hardware. I will say though that the CP city is far more compact in general so there's more going on in a smaller space which may not help?!

I'm still enjoying it though. The crashes are the most jarring for me though. Just crashes straight back to the Xbox dashboard and i have to reload the game. My only other gripes are with item management, its proper clunky and feature bare. Its also something they should've been able to get absolutely right are there are so many games out there that do it really well. Like the Division 2 and Destiny to name a couple. (They aren't perfect but are a million miles away from CP) Like, let me lock gear, mark it for dismantle/group dismantle, mark for sale/group sale etc. I can't even work out how to remove attachments/mods from guns so end up buying new or just dismantling them! Then with the clothes mods the one you are swapping out just gets binned! Its bizarre because like i say there are so many blueprints out there for doing it right.. (Or at least a billion times better!) Oh and the crouchers. They are odd too. :D

Soldato
Yep, for sure but I'm not sure how they're going to deal with the fallout from the issues on PS4 and Xbox One S. I understand it's been in development for a long time but seeing what Rockstar achieved with RDR2 makes it inexcusable that it looks and runs as badly as it does on those platforms, regardless of their age. The PC argument is moot because they release required and minimum specs for a PC so you set your expectations based on your hardware. The fact is that you buy the game for consile and it has an Xbox One or a PS4 label and you expect it would run at 30fps and still look pretty decent. Not the blurred messy slideshow that people are getting.

From some posts on Reddit I've also seen that the new patch yesterday hasn't fixed issues people are having on the PS4, and has actually broken the Steam version for many. It's absolutely dire and I don't know how they'll restore themselves after this. It would be a different story if the patch yesterday had sorted things out because they'd missed some major fixes in the launch day patch or they didn't make it through QA in time for launch. That's not the case here though. It's just blow after blow.

yeah I was going to ask people to compare this to rdr2, as I remember that game did impress many on here.

--

the gamespot review I just watched, she explained a lot about the rpg side of it and was able to act as a hacker later on in the game, but still was forced into shootouts against her character profile, and the background chosen only really affecting start of game, the review makes the game a little more favourable to me, but I wont consider buying it in its current state.

Caporegime
OP
The life oath choices are one of the biggest shams in the game from what I’ve read, it literally makes no difference other than a few dialogue options when talking to people.

Caporegime
yeah I was going to ask people to compare this to rdr2, as I remember that game did impress many on here.

--

the gamespot review I just watched, she explained a lot about the rpg side of it and was able to act as a hacker later on in the game, but still was forced into shootouts against her character profile, and the background chosen only really affecting start of game, the review makes the game a little more favourable to me, but I wont consider buying it in its current state.

I've been playing rdr2 on series x over the last few weeks, and compared to the gameplay videos I have watched of cyberpunk (including videos of it on PC), and RDR2 is still a much better looking game overall. The LOD system , lighting, weather , draw distance and overall coherence of the gameworld in RDR2 is like some voodoo magic. Coupled with the sheer complexity of everything going in with the NPC AI and animals etc it is seriously impressive stuff, and if that's what they can do on last gen stuff, I imagine what Rockstar pull off with GTA6/a potential RDR3 on the next gen will be phenomenal.

Quite frankly, I don't think anything else comes close in the gaming world to rdr2 in terms of an overall technical achievement.

Soldato
Is this game worth getting on the Series X or just best wait for the next gen version to be released?

Depends on you matey, I really wanted to play it now and see it all for myself, if you've got a backlog of other stuff though I can see the benefits of waiting.

I'm not far but only had one crash, few dodgy NPCs but nothing that major or game breaking, I've not had any quests I couldn't complete.

Some of the systems feel a bit dated but that's not surprising given the development hell this game has been in. But I love the style and atmosphere, the music is great and I'm already intrigued by the story.

Caporegime
The upside is witcher 3 had its issues as well and they did eventually fix it, I dont think it was this bad, but they are a dev who do after market patches.

Do you think they'll get the base PS4/Xbox version up to a playable 25-30fps without the huge pop-in/loading issues? people keep talking about "what do you expect from 2013 hardware" etc but other than PC those are the only platforms it has been released for. Are they going to be let off the hook just because next gen happens to have backwards compatibility?

Soldato
Been enjoying mopping up the cyber psycho missions. You get some good/rare loot from these by the way.

enjoying it a fair bit ! Although still getting my fair share of crashes. :p save often is the only psa I can give

Back
Top Bottom