Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020, Yas Island - Race 17/17

Rate the 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Gonna take a bit of motivating for George to get back up for 2021 if he's still at Williams. Must feel like he was given a Veyron to drive to work for 1 day and now is back in the Corsa!

Soldato
I hope McLaren don't go backwards with a Mercedes engine next year.

I can't see it from a power point of view as the Mercedes is supposed to be the best still. However if the packaging ruins the balance of the car they may have problems. (I'm sure people far far far cleverer than me at Mclaren have already worked this out though. :))

Permabanned
I can't see it from a power point of view as the Mercedes is supposed to be the best still. However if the packaging ruins the balance of the car they may have problems. (I'm sure people far far far cleverer than me at Mclaren have already worked this out though. :))
From what I understand the problem is how many tokens they can spend to make the changes.

Soldato
I couldn't agree more with Ronnie. His example of playing with bigger snooker table pockets than everyone else sums up why F1, exciting a sport as it is, is simply not a level playing field.
Imagine if all 20 cars were exactly as fast as each other, no engine or body advantages. Who would win? There's plenty of potential world champions on the grid whose talent is handicapped by the tools they're given.

He didn't care until people started talking up Hamilton for a knighthood - bitter much.

As others have said repeatedly (again and again and again), F1 is a team sport exactly the same as football - it's just a lot more of the team is hidden in F1. Even in modern Football the coaches, strategists, scouts, physiotherapists, sports psychologists - all behind the scenes - are making the difference between a cup run and trophy, between a champions league spot and the title.

Anyone suggesting a spec formula is suggesting the premier league is replaced by goalkeepers taking shots from 100% consistent machines. All the keepers would have to defend the same shots and so it is a level playing field and we could see which are the best keepers. Also nobody would watch it - just like F2 :/

Given some of Ronnie's outbursts and carrying on in his career I'd suggest some more back room team could help him - a sports psychologist for starters.

Caporegime
Karun Chandhok posted up final Qualifying comparisons for the season over on twitter:

Close run at Haas, McLaren, and Alfa, with both drivers close on pace and on score. Gasly, Pérez, and Dani Ric all solidly beat their teammates, but were pretty close on time. Bottas got beaten 11-5 but was a mere 0.108s behind on average, strikingly close for such a solid loss on score. Leclerc was 13-4 up on Vettel, the same as Gasly over Kvyat but with a whopping 0.369s average lead. Then Latifi and Albon got whitewashed by their teammates, both over half a second slower on average. Albon's 0.563s slower is the worst on the grid.

Soldato
Bottas' problem isn't/never has been his one lap or qualifying pace though. It's his ability when it comes to the race, and more recently starts (he used to start ok). Nico to Lewis was 0.075s qualifying advantage to Hamilton in 2014, 0.147s in 2015 and 0.152s in ’16.

Albon is particularly bad. IIRC Gasly was around 0.36 slower than Max in qualifying and Dani Ric was faster than Max in 2016 by 0.136, slower in 2017 by 0.135, and 0.15 in 2018. Ric had more poles though as Max never was pole during this time.

This is actually a fun read about how Nico went into 2016, and after he built up a lead was prepared to crash rather than be outraced. https://the-race.com/formula-1/reassessing-nico-rosberg-and-how-he-beat-hamilton/

Last edited:
Soldato
Bottas's main problem is turning round a bad situation. Starts on pole, gets a good start and drives away in 1st/2nd all good, anything goes wrong on the other hand he goes totally awol and you don't see him for the rest of the race.

Back
Top Bottom