The Next Mass Effect

Soldato
It was basically a single chapter of a Mass Effect game, with no big ending, and with characters in whom you found almost no real connection... just thinly veiled plot devices, really.
There were a few entertaining moments, but that was about it.

So as a lover of the original 3 (I didn't even hate the original ending of 3!) it wont make a big deal to miss this one then?

Soldato
So as a lover of the original 3 (I didn't even hate the original ending of 3!) it wont make a big deal to miss this one then?
I thought 1 was very good, but underdeveloped/limited in scope and felt more like a proof of concept.
2 was far better in many respects (but not all - I loved the Mako and Hammerhead), yet suffered from having too many main characters.
3 was stunning and the endings did make sense to me.

This was mostly like 2, with extra (though perhaps unnecessary) gameplay additions and a 'meh' character/story set.
Unless subsequent games tie in, you probably won't miss Andromeda. I found myself actually skipping cut scenes just to get back to the gameplay and get on with finishing it.

Soldato
I have to admit they actually got me with this, especially after Casey Hudson "resigned" a few days ago. I mean why would Hudson leave after he said he was looking forward to making new Mass Effect games, only to quit a few days before the announcement? Same with Mark Darrah leaving at the sametime while Dragon Age 4 is being made. I'm thinking its creative differences, its got to be.

Could it be they're either rewriting the ending or making the destruction ending canon? Bringing Shepard back? Maybe even make the indoctrination theory canon which would make a really amazing twist considering the evidence. And it would explain Hudson's sudden departure. It's actually made me more excited for the Legendary Edition remaster now to see if there's any chance they'll tweak the ending to indicate the future direction for the series.

I mean if you think about it, there's a lot of potential in this. Everyone complained that in ME3 the decisions you make throughout the trilogy don't really matter. The allegiances you craft, the people/creatures you save or destroy never really counted for anything. Whereas in a future game, set immediately after or a few years after the initial Reaper invasion, you could have these allegiances come into play throughout the game during the ongoing Reaper war, trying to survive the extinction event.

BUT that's the fan in me speculating. The problem is, this isn't the original Bioware, it's new Bioware, a team that's barely done anything of merit and I'm genuinely thinking there's a possibility of them making an always-online, live service Mass Effect with £9.99 fan-service skins and loot boxes.

The worst thing is, we'll have to wait another 4 years before we see what this is. Possibly longer.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I have to admit they actually got me with this, especially after Casey Hudson "resigned" a few days ago. I mean why would Hudson leave after he said he was looking forward to making new Mass Effect games, only to quit a few days before the announcement? Same with Mark Darrah leaving at the same time while Dragon Age 4 is being made. I'm thinking its creative differences, its got to be.

I should imagine it'll be EA interference yet again, Anthem was originally slated to be a completely different game till EA told BW to change direction, so i wouldn't put it past them doing the same thing with a new Mass Effect game, and there's no way Hudson would put up with that again, he'd rather walk than have his hands tied yet again, either way i won't go near it, EA isn't remotely interested in telling good stories, all there interested in is making cash cows & pretty much nothing else.

Soldato
Honestly still cant get over the ending of me3 tbh. They lost all my faith with that mess.

It was a good thing to play for three games as an arc, I see no reason to get invested in more of it unless they fundamentally change up the gameplay loop.

Associate
I won't touch this unless it gets amazing reviews from the gaming community at large. I loved the first game, the second one I found a bit dull and the third was well wide of the mark story-wise. Didn't try Andromeda - it looked an utter mess.

Associate
I should imagine it'll be EA interference yet again, Anthem was originally slated to be a completely different game till EA told BW to change direction, so i wouldn't put it past them doing the same thing with a new Mass Effect game, and there's no way Hudson would put up with that again, he'd rather walk than have his hands tied yet again, either way i won't go near it, EA isn't remotely interested in telling good stories, all there interested in is making cash cows & pretty much nothing else.
I'm hoping you're wrong, but I know it's very likely you're right. EA has a wonderful track record of just screwing things up for the studios.
Bioware were always a studio that would release when it's ready, now since EA that's replaced with rushed products that lack the detail and finish they used to have.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm hoping you're wrong, but I know it's very likely you're right. EA has a wonderful track record of just screwing things up for the studios.
Bioware were always a studio that would release when it's ready, now since EA that's replaced with rushed products that lack the detail and finish they used to have.
I wonder if they are just BioWare in name now? Maybe the best people there left? They used to make awesome RPG’s before. The last two of theirs that I liked were Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins.

Back
Top Bottom