*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
quick hacking seems kinda meh and pointless it's so weak.
Well duh if you aren't investing in it of course it is. Except tbh some of the very basic stuff like distracting enemies or overloading an explosive in someone's face is still useful

I can breach protocol then pop a legendary Contagion on a target and wipe entire groups in seconds. It jumps a ridiculous number of times with the right investment and can also crit with the right perk. I've often wiped an entire building full of enemies before I even walk through the door

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading some of those user reviews on metacritic makes me laugh, some peoples expectations of what a modern computer/console is even capable of. They were expecting the Oasis, when the reality is GTAV+ is about the best we can get.

Personally I'm enjoying the game, despite its glitches and bugs its still FUN. The environment feels busy, plenty of pedestrians and cars about to make it feel like a city. People complaining that you cannot interact with EVERYTHING are just expecting way too much from what is even technically possible with todays systems. Maybe if they delayed it by another 2-3 years you could get half of what some are expecting.

Caporegime
I tried on my Vega56 last night, it just isn't good enough. Having to run on low to get anywhere near 60fps and the popup textures are too much for me.

Also the whole police mechanic is immersion breaking, hopefully that gets fixed by next December.

Soldato
Also the whole police mechanic is immersion breaking, hopefully that gets fixed by next December.

Man you're just expecting way too much, this is 100% on you... Do you really think a modern game has the technology to be able to simulate something like escalating states of Police alert levels in some kind of city setting? What kind of super futuristic game would be able to pull that off?

Soldato
What mirrors, mirrors on cars ? better not be the mirrors we look in, there great, so there taking out the good stuff just to make the game run better, oh no, what a shame.
All mirrors i think. Indeed.
It was like the new Crysis pre patch, now post patch its like Crysis remastered :(
They need to realise that people liked it how it was despite the lower frame rates.
Removing effects like better quality reflections, lighting and mirrors is not good

Man of Honour
All mirrors i think. Indeed.
It was like the new Crysis pre patch, now post patch its like Crysis remastered :(
They need to realise that people liked it how it was despite the lower frame rates.
Removing effects like better quality reflections, lighting and mirrors is not good

Probably some crash issue or serious quality issue they can't be bothered to fix.

Associate
also what do the numbers mean next to the icons on the map? Keep seeing the number 2 pop up next to the icons like loot drop, side missions etc.

Took me a few minutes to work this out...the icons on the map tile to hexagons on a grid, as you zoom out multiple points of interest can end up inside the same tile and the number reflects how many points of interest are really in that tile. You can zoom in over a tile with a number in it and when you get close enough you'll see it become multiple points of interest. The map is honestly really awful, I hate it.

Now that's kind of disappointing as I'm sure CDPR did an interview where they specifically said they had designed "thousands" of unique NPCs each with a complex and realistic routine and bespoke voiced interactions with the player character. Perhaps content which simply got cut but an example of something which wasn't simply conjured by the hype/fans.

The more I read about the game the more I think the way to approach it to have the best experience is to treat it more like a linear game, or a sort of semi-open game such as the various Deus Ex titles. The city in those always felt bigger than it was but (due to presumably technical limitations mostly) you were usually hemmed in to a fairly restricted playable area of it... Given the lack of depth in the NPCs and "open world" aspects here it seems like it's perhaps best if you don't focus too hard on the more sandbox-y kind of GTA like gameplay and instead try and stick to the missions mostly.

This is exactly what I said a few pages back and after getting more back into the story I'd just reinforce this point of view. What I noticed playing last night is that the closer you stick to the story missions the more you end up in story hubs like bars/nightclubs which have a large amount of attention to detail paid to them, it looks like they're hand crafted. For example you end up in the Afterlife Bar which is a morgue converted to a bar, and if you wander around inside there's a lot more unique detail that doesn't exist anywhere else, NPCs have more unique poses and animations than those who populate the streets and just walk about, and there's a lot of unique dialogue as you can overhear other gangs organizing jobs for the various fixers.

This is part of why the game feels so polished in the singleplayer because it's obvious these places were hand crafted with a lot of attention to detail to make the experience of the singleplayer main story very polished, and then outside of this narrow corridor that is the singleplayer story and it's locations you have a city which is populated by algorithms to create the pedestrians and their behaviour which is a lot more generic, because you're not supposed to have any particular interest in random civilian or food vendor.

I can't help but feel the best way to describe this is with a metaphor to TV/movie set, the people and vendors and traffic and hustle and bustle of the city is the set dressing, designed to be a backdrop to the main story missions where your focus is on the main characters and those other things are in the peripheral. But if you inspect them closely enough like follow the same NPC around, it's kinda like going through a door in the TV set, there's nothing really behind the door except all the wooden foundations propping up the fake walls, and it becomes obvious you're on a set. There's a moment in the Truman show where this kinda happens in the fake elevator and the illusion of the real world is broken.

It's quite amusing they put so much emphasis on character customisation in a first person game, yet mirrors are broken

They're not broken, they're futuristic smart mirrors which only reflect when you approach them and enable them with the F key. It's expensive effect to do because they didn't use ray tracing, it seems like they render all the geometry that is reflected again inside the mirror to give you a very high resolution reflection, but doubles the workload, which is why you only find them in tightly closed off areas. It's just masking a technology limitation. I remember a very old Unreal engine version having mirrored surfaces option which they later took out, if you viewed the game in wireframe mode you could see the wireframe of all the reflected geometry, I think the same thing is happening here.

The character customization is actually quite shallow as well when you think about it and that's probably why, because you can't really ever see yourself. I think there's about 4 tattoo options, 2 scar options, a very limited number of other things to customize outside of your face, no body types as such.

Soldato
I tried on my Vega56 last night, it just isn't good enough. Having to run on low to get anywhere near 60fps and the popup textures are too much for me.

My Vega56 is running on high/ultra at 2560x1080 and fps never dropped to a noticeable level.

Soldato
Played up to the start of Act 1. I felt I hadn't explored enough but seemed very much do this, do that so far. Experienced a few bugs, a ghostly apparition on a balcony of what seemed like the outline of the people walking past, and then some dude i couldn't find stuck behind a cabinet.
Beautiful game with RT and performs well too. I'm using GFE recommended settings.
Not quite go into it yet. I read after I played last night that the story is great and I found myself thinking "what's the story again?" Understand what has happened and how got there but doesn't feel like much of a stand out story so far at least.

Last edited:
Soldato
Remember your all see different stuff going on in the game, depending who you start with, there three different ways to play the game, i have started all three, few hours with each, and see different stuff with each of them, so if your just playing your first playthrough with just one class to start with, your not seeing two thirds of the game are you.
Lol OK..I like the game but please... the three options only amount to a very small opening mission and added dialogue in some very small situations. Dont make it sound like people are missing out because they are not. I quote:

"Overall, lifepaths in Cyberpunk 2077 take about 20 minutes of the game, so those who are worried about choosing which origin story to take should rest easy given that it doesn't take up a massive portion of the game. Eventually, each lifepath would lead to V meeting up with Jackie."

Associate
so got the 3800XT in and what a difference it makes compared to 2600. 1440p Ultra, DLSS Quality and RT off average 80fps~, minimums around 60 when driving and in crowded areas. Before it capped out around 65ish and dropped to the 40s regularly with skipped frames/stutter. GPU usage constant 97%+, well happy with this result.

Soldato
My Vega56 is running on high/ultra at 2560x1080 and fps never dropped to a noticeable level.

Also running Vega 64 on High 1440p native with a couple of things turned off... motion blur, film grain etc.
Plays fine.
Set it to Static Fidelity FX @ 80% last night and didn't really notice a difference in quality while frame rates were a solid 60-70fps.
It is on water though so full boost @ 42C.

For comparision I had it running on a 3060Ti @ 1080p native (different monitor) with Ray Tracing Ultra preset which also got around 70fps in the section I was in.
If I looked hard, some things look a little better, puddles are like mirrors, it does appear to be a bump in quality but nothing I would call game changing and nothing that I felt was any more immersive.
In both cases it still looks like a video game.

I think it would be awesome in VR though.....

Man of Honour
so got the 3800XT in and what a difference it makes compared to 2600. 1440p Ultra, DLSS Quality and RT off average 80fps~, minimums around 60 when driving and in crowded areas. Before it capped out around 65ish and dropped to the 40s regularly with skipped frames/stutter. GPU usage constant 97%+, well happy with this result.

Might stick my gpu in the wifes pc and see what happens :) have a feeling im rather cpu bound as my fps barely changes at any point in the game.

Soldato
Reading some of those user reviews on metacritic makes me laugh, some peoples expectations of what a modern computer/console is even capable of. They were expecting the Oasis, when the reality is GTAV+ is about the best we can get.

Yep, it basically plays like a cross of the recent Deus Ex games and GTA V. Can you talk to every NPC, go in every building and interact with every shop in those? No, of course not. I do think the marketing might have led people to think that might be possible though. I also think they could have spent more time to make it possible to interact with those apparent shops by V's apartment too.

CDPR staff now getting bonuses regardless of review scores: Cyberpunk 2077 developers will be paid bonuses regardless of review average, according to leaked email | PC Gamer

"Overall, lifepaths in Cyberpunk 2077 take about 20 minutes of the game, so those who are worried about choosing which origin story to take should rest easy given that it doesn't take up a massive portion of the game. Eventually, each lifepath would lead to V meeting up with Jackie."

That should save some time replaying the game :D I would be interested to try a more hacker / stealth build though.

Soldato
I'll go to a few various places in the city, and note the average FPS as well as a location on the map so you can see which way I am facing etc.

Graphics Settings- Quick Preset: Ultra

Average between 78-81fps. Location: https://i.imgur.com/cPv7NEk.jpg

Average between 82-85fps. Location: https://i.imgur.com/UqSGaQ1.jpg

Average between 79-84fps. Location: https://i.imgur.com/TpR86PU.jpg
Thanks dude I'll check those out.

I noticed that gsync off seems to improve performance for me. I think I'll do a bit of testing on that front. I'm certainly not seeing 80fps anywhere. Usually high 50s when outside with dips into the 30s and even 20s if I am driving and move the camera quickly.

Associate
6 hours in and am loving this...it's not quite lived up to the hype (so far) but I'm sold on it.

Running with RT on Medium and a mix of Med/High settings and it's smooth for me (GSync monitor likely helps)

Only glitches so far were Jackie's gun missing in a cut scene and a chopstick floating in mid air during another

Back
Top Bottom